Deus 2 Prospecting Mode

Desert Dawg

Will we be able to notch for hotrocks with the deus 2? I know the equinox notches very well on hot rocks. If i remember right, -12 down to -7 got rid of most all hot rocks, yet would retain good signal on a one grain nugget.

I have a feeling the Deus 2 will do just fine prospecting. Although I know of no one currently or even in the past that has worked with XP directly that is an expert gold prospector. Maybe someone has spoke up in the past and I don't recall or is just keeping quiet.

XP isn't really known for their gold detectors at least in the US. Most people turn their nose up at them. The biggest issue is lack of a small 5 or 6 inch coil. I have personally hunted behind a few people using Gold monsters and Equinoxes using 6" coils with the ORX and Deus. The really tiny stuff the ORX and Deus couldn't hear with a 9" coil. One nugget we dropped out of the scoop accentually I couldn't even find on top of the ground with the ORX. That's going to be most peoples grip with the Deus 2, a small coil. For larger nuggets it's not going to be a problem. But sometimes I'm just looking for any size nugget so I don't go home empty handed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mxt Sniper said:

Will we be able to notch for hotrocks with the deus 2? I know the equinox notches very well on hot rocks. If i remember right, -12 down to -7 got rid of most all hot rocks, yet would retain good signal on a one grain nugget.

No notching on Deus 2, Deus 1 or ORX in the Gold modes………..compared to the Equinox single digit notching…….huge negative in my opinion.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mxt Sniper said:

Hot rocks with the Deus 1 aren't really all that hard to tell once you've encountered a few. I would assume the Deus 2 will be similar, I could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, abenson said:

Hot rocks with the Deus 1 aren't really all that hard to tell once you've encountered a few. I would assume the Deus 2 will be similar, I could be wrong.

Hot rocks on these XPs are definitely easy to hear and identify by audio if they are big enough. However, you will hear all of them clearly. I am hoping that Deus 2’s FMF might at least unmask small gold targets better than Deus 1 and ORX single frequency.

• Like 2

I tried all the frequencies and all modes. All frequencies and modes hit the ring. 54khz hit was weaker. Gold mode was a weaker hit. I think it was 28khz. 3 tone mode hit was weaker. I was surprised it hit at all. I think I tested all the frequencies in 4 tone mode only. I should have wrote it all down when I did the tests. My ground is very mild. Was tested on a sandy beach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found I could ID a 1 or 2 grain nugget with the nox with a steady low  number vdi fairly accurately. Something my other vlfs could never do in medium soils. I just never meshed well with the machine so eventually sold it.

Still the way the Deus 2 is overall I still might have to get one lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mxt Sniper said:

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

No notching on Deus 2, Deus 1 or ORX in the Gold modes………..compared to the Equinox single digit notching…….huge negative in my opinion.

Correct, no notching in the Gold/Goldfield modes but nothing says you are limited solely to using the Goldfield modes for prospecting.   Even though not truly all metal you can still use the mono mode at 45 khz high frequency or any of the high frequency weighted FMF modes such as Sensitive, Sensitive FT (full tones) or Fast with minimal disc dialed in for prospecting while utilizing the ability to notch out hot rocks, if necessary.  But like Jeff and Andy have mentioned previously, hot rocks do give a distinctive "delayed, hollow" audio tone that is fairly easy to pick up on once you have your ears "calibrated" for the day (dig a couple at the start and then your muscle memory will kick in).

Just remember currently there are four big differences at least on paper between the Deus 2 Gold Field program and the Deus 1/Orx Gold programs. Two are big positive differences in my opinion which are Deus 2 GoldField is FMF or selectable single frequency and Deus 1/ORX is just single frequency. Deus 2 also has a choice of PWM VCO or Square Wave VCO audio. One big negative is the lack of a small elliptical coil for Deus 2. Deus 1 and ORX have the 9.5X5” elliptical. The other somewhat negative is Deus 2 highest single frequency is roughly 45 kHz. Deus 1 and ORX highest single frequency is 81 kHz.

Just wanted to make a small correction here.  Unlike Deus 1 where each of the programs is really just default setting variants and are somewhat interchangeable (except that the pseudo AM Goldfield program which is distinct from the "discrimination" programs). Deus 2 is set up a little differently.  Each of the programs is indeed unique in the sense that the FMF profile for each program is "fixed".  From what I can tell, and someone who is presently using the machine like Calabash can confirm this, you cannot operate the FMF programs in single selectable frequency (this includes the Goldfield and Relic).  Mono is the only program available that allows you to operate in single frequency mode and it is dedicated for that purpose.  So I believe the statement above "Deus 2 GoldField is FMF or selectable single frequency" is incorrect.  It is only FMF and Goldfield flavored FMF which is described in the manual as follows: Prg. 8 - GOLD FIELD FMF • Max. freq. 40khz • Frequency addition.  That's it. No single frequency.  RELIC mode is similar only the Max. freq. is 24khz • Frequency subtraction.

I agree the lack of the small coil is problematic, but I also understand better now why the elliptical is not really compatible with Deus 2.  Being a single frequency coil, it could not be utilized in the Goldfield mode which is FMF only on Deus 2.  I sure hope XP comes out with an FMF/Deus 2 compatible variant of the small elliptical coil.

Since single frequency in is not available in the FMF modes it is hard to say at this point whether the FMF max frequency of 40 khz holds back Deus 2 compared to what you can do with Deus 1 and Orx and the HF coils that can be operated in the 53 to 80 khz range.

Deus 1 and ORX in Gold modes are basically threshold based all metal modes on steroids with ground grab ground balancing, iron reject on or off, iron audio on or off, VCO 1 tone audio, reactivity/recovery speed adjustments, threshold volume adjustments, 0 to 99 target ID, iron probability graph, mineralization graph, depth graph, pinpoint, internal rechargeable batteries and wireless audio. 

Really good information from Jeff here but a super minor detailed correction here - "iron reject" or in XP terminology "Iron Audio Reject" or IAR is not just "on or off" in Gold Mode (Orx)/Gold Field Mode (Deus 1 and 2)/Relic Mode (Deus 2 only), but has a 5-level range of adjustable rejection (0 - 5, with a "0" being the setting for IAR off).  Not the same as discrimination, IAR chops what it considers ferrous audio from the VCO audio signal resulting in choppy audio or blanking, depending on the strength of rejection selected, if Deus "thinks" there is ferrous content in the target.  IAR really gets fooled by magnetite in mineralized ground and makes every target signal sound like crap, so its use is worthless under those conditions.

HTH

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Hugh,

thanks for the almost clarification on Gold Field and Relic being FMF only on Deus 2. I am not 100% sure either but honestly it doesn't really matter since I would try to always use FMF. I rarely use my Equinox in its Gold modes in single frequency unless EMI is just awful. 

As far as Disc. IAR, a serious Covid brain fog moment happened while I was editing that paragraph. What I meant to say was iron reject can be Off=0 or On set to 1 through 5. Again, I rarely use it gold prospecting. Just like you said, in magnetite, using it just confuses things and shallow to surface, tiny gold can get swallowed up by masking using the single frequency Deus 1 and ORX. Maybe........FMF will help that situation?????

• Like 2