Charging Question / Concern

cdv

I'm really liking what I'm seeing with the Deus 2 however never owning one, I have concerns for / about saltwater durability and the charging connections. I've dealt with minor charging problems with the connections on the Equinox and was just curious if anyone had an idea how the Deus coils hold up to saltwater use on a fairly consistant basis...I mainly water hunt.

Cliff

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cdv said:

I'm really liking what I'm seeing with the Deus 2 however never owning one, I have concerns for / about saltwater durability and the charging connections. I've dealt with minor charging problems with the connections on the Equinox and was just curious if anyone had an idea how the Deus coils hold up to saltwater use on a fairly consistant basis...I mainly water hunt.

Cliff

DITTO>>>>>>>>>>>>>

99% of my hunting is on saltwater beaches and in the past, in the surf itself. Yes, saltwater is very corrosive to metal if left unattended.  I keep my connections clean by cleaning them after every hunt so I haven’t had charging problems.  
I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the same will go for the Deus II connections but I’ll know more once I get my hands on one. 😉

• Thanks 1

Midalake  

We should start a club ! We got two members that you and I already.

Only requirement Too old Too fat and maybe too much gas in the lower track .

I think that fits the major bunch of us on here.

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That’s what I like to see, Cliff with money in hand asking questions 😂.  To go along with that …. 5 years warranty is crazy good …. But if you have issues with that coil where does it go for repairs.   I know there is a guy in MA that can swap a battery but I don’t think he’s their authorized repair shop.  We get a little spoiled with most detector companies having a full service repair shop.  We both clean and try to care for our equipment…. but we put in out time out there.  So what are these connections made of? That antenna is still the item I’m curious about …. Like how’s it work out there, seems to be thin wire and why so much of it?

1 hour ago, dewcon4414 said:

That’s what I like to see, Cliff with money in hand asking questions 😂.  To go along with that …. 5 years warranty is crazy good …. But if you have issues with that coil where does it go for repairs.   I know there is a guy in MA that can swap a battery but I don’t think he’s their authorized repair shop.  We get a little spoiled with most detector companies having a full service repair shop.  We both clean and try to care for our equipment…. but we put in out time out there.  So what are these connections made of? That antenna is still the item I’m curious about …. Like how’s it work out there, seems to be thin wire and why so much of it?

Folks, please do at least a minimal amount of research before spouting off and pondering problems where there are not problems.  The XP authorized repair center IS in Massachusetts.

Took me 2 seconds to Google "XP Detector Repair" to get to the following link.

https://www.xpmetaldetectorsamericas.com/xp-service-and-repairs

While the exposed charging port connections are something that should be looked after and regularly cleaned/rinsed off after submersion, the principle is basically the same as the flat charge port contacts on the back of the Nox that have not been reported to be problematic for Nox water hunters nor those who presently use Deus 1 in the water.

Regarding the antenna wire length, better to be long than short as it enables you to use the appropriate length consistent with your shaft length extension while enabling it to be securely, snugly coiled around the shaft to keep it from getting snagged under water.  XP used thin wire to maximize physical flexibility of the antenna as the wire is not conducting any current, unlike a coil cable.

My main concern is how does the antenna setup hold up to the pounding encountered while in the surf break.

HTH

"Folks, please do at least a minimal amount of research before spouting off and pondering problems where there are not problems. "

Chase, thanks for your input....personally, I have done some research, first was the search function in this forum plus reading the manual. Although I couldn't find any info on "potential" OR "reported" problems, I figured it was worth mention/questioning due to the lack of seeing Deus machines in the water around my hunting area. I had one friend with two Deus units that would not run them in the water. So I asked....

"While the exposed charging port connections are something that should be looked after and regularly cleaned/rinsed off after submersion, the principle is basically the same as the flat charge port contacts on the back of the Nox that have not been reported to be problematic for Nox water hunters nor those who presently use Deus 1 in the water."

As for the Nox not having reported problems on the charging contacts, I have personally had problems with my Nox. Although minor, I have had corrosion on the contacts...and problems with the connector making good contact for charging. I've dealt with those and never really was too concerned since it is my backup machine and mostly loaned out to others.

Warranty of 5 years makes me believe XP knows what it has in the new Deus 2!

Can't wait to see more about this machine.... lots of good videos so far showing its capabilities.

Cliff

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cdv said:

"Folks, please do at least a minimal amount of research before spouting off and pondering problems where there are not problems. "

Chase, thanks for your input....personally, I have done some research, first was the search function in this forum plus reading the manual. Although I couldn't find any info on "potential" OR "reported" problems, I figured it was worth mention/questioning due to the lack of seeing Deus machines in the water around my hunting area. I had one friend with two Deus units that would not run them in the water. So I asked....

Cliff, yeah sorry, my comment wasn't directed at you but at Dew, whose post I quoted in my post, but I was specifically referring to this:

5 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

But if you have issues with that coil where does it go for repairs.   I know there is a guy in MA that can swap a battery but I don’t think he’s their authorized repair shop.  We get a little spoiled with most detector companies having a full service repair shop

I just wanted to snuff out any doubt regarding whether XP has an authorized service center in the US.

I then followed up on other Dew questions regarding the antenna.

Like I said in my post it IS something especially saltwater hunters are going to need to pay attention to and to maintain, so I fundamentally agree with the concern and it IS indeed worth mentioning and posting about as a potential concern.  Your experience with the Nox contacts and with Deus users is also relevant and informative.  Nox water hunter complaints are generally focused on the water intrusion issues because the consequence is usually a dead detector requiring warranty replacement so less significant though troublesome issues such as charging contact corrosion tend to get overshadowed.  Also, Deus one is a poor saltwater machine in comparison to the Nox, so there is probably not a whole lot of experience out there with long-term exposure of the Deus coil contacts to more corrosive sea water vs. freshwater.  Thanks for posting your concern and experiences.