Coiltek 10x5 Coil Availability?

Cal_Cobra

Most are charging $235 for it now.

Get it while you can. I'm gonna put mine back on, after using the 11" for a short time I find it uses up the battery faster and really doesn't give much depth gain. The weight difference is staggering as well.

Another big advantage is X pinpointing.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

after using the 11" for a short time I find it uses up the battery faster

How long do you wait between charging?  Have you had the Eqx+11" run out of juice in a single hunt when starting out fully charged?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

How long do you wait between charging?  Have you had the Eqx+11" run out of juice in a single hunt when starting out fully charged?

I put mine on charge every time I get back, and leave it on charge until the next hunt, which usually isn't too long. 🤪

The closest I came to running out of juice one day was on almost an 8 hour hunt, got down to one bar of 3. I don't like letting the battery get below 50%.

I have had "senior moments" when I don't engage the charging magnet properly, so I have a battery pack that I can bungee to the cuff that will save the day. It will charge the detector at least twice. 😀 24000mAh, cost me $20.

When Chase and I were out hunting we both used the 11" instead of the 10x5 because of the slight gain in sweep and depth. In a 7 hour hunt I was down 1 bar, that never happens with the 10x5. I always come back on 3. I asked him and he agreed it would use more energy.

• Like 3

Thanks guys, I have one coming! 👍

I'm really hoping the 5x10 coil will help with brush hunting, just hope I don't loose much depth as there are some deep targets at the site want to test it at first.

5 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Most are charging $235 for it now.

Get it while you can. I'm gonna put mine back on, after using the 11" for a short time I find it uses up the battery faster and really doesn't give much depth gain. The weight difference is staggering as well.

Another big advantage is X pinpointing.

I haven't had any issues pinpointing with the 11" stock coil, but it's a bear to use hunting in the overgrown woods, always getting tangled up in the brush, and it simply cannot fit into a lot of nooks and cranny's.  I guess the Coiltek 5x10 coil will still get tangled up, but at least I can get tangled up in a lot of new areas, and as I understand it the hot point of detection is more towards the front of the coil vs the center, that should be useful for exploring challenging to reach areas.

Having recently digging a one reale at a measured 10-11" deep, I hope I'm not giving up a lot of depth on the Coiltek 5x10 vs the stock, but realize there's always give and take at play when it comes to metal detecting, no free lunch.  We'll see how it does.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

...As I understand it the hot point of detection is more towards the front of the coil vs the center....

This doesn't make sense to me given the symmetry of the windings.  I've seen similar things said about the location of objects when pinpointing with the 11" stock Eqx coil.  Do you mind going into more detail (e.g. sources)?  I'm not trying to start a debate.  We read and hear a lot of claims about performance of detectors, and I for one am responsible for some of those claims!  Unfortunately not all of them are reliable, including some of mine....  As always I'd like to see others chime in.  This isn't a case of Cal_Cobra under the interrogation lights.  😄

I've had the 10x5 on my Equinox almost all year. I never noticed any extra sensitivity toward the tip, but then I imagine my skill level and technique are rather primitive. I just swing it like the 11.

What it does do for me is give me a thin detection zone on a wiggle that can make or break a find. It definitely X pinpoints a smaller area but that may be learned eye/hand. Going back to the 11" feels "clunky" and slow.

I find it to be a major advantage over the 11" stock coil.

Hope ya nabbed one on eBay because they're all gone now 🙏

• Like 3