Coiltek 10x5 Coil Availability?

Cal_Cobra

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

This doesn't make sense to me given the symmetry of the windings.  I've seen similar things said about the location of objects when pinpointing with the 11" stock Eqx coil.  Do you mind going into more detail (e.g. sources)?  I'm not trying to start a debate.  We read and hear a lot of claims about performance of detectors, and I for one am responsible for some of those claims!  Unfortunately not all of them are reliable, including some of mine....  As always I'd like to see others chime in.  This isn't a case of Cal_Cobra under the interrogation lights.  😄

It was posted here on one of the Equinox Coiltek threads.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

I've had the 10x5 on my Equinox almost all year. I never noticed any extra sensitivity toward the tip, but then I imagine my skill level and technique are rather primitive. I just swing it like the 11.

What it does do for me is give me a thin detection zone on a wiggle that can make or break a find. It definitely X pinpoints a smaller area but that may be learned eye/hand. Going back to the 11" feels "clunky" and slow.

I find it to be a major advantage over the 11" stock coil.

That's a glowing report 👍

My only concern is loss of depth.  The one reale I just dug on New Years Day was deep, I have to wonder if the 5x10 coil would've picked it up as well 🤔   As far as doing a factory reset to make the TID #'s similar to the stock coil, is that the only benefit?  For relic hunting TID is less important then audio IMO.

47 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

That's a glowing report 👍

My only concern is loss of depth.  The one reale I just dug on New Years Day was deep, I have to wonder if the 5x10 coil would've picked it up as well 🤔   As far as doing a factory reset to make the TID #'s similar to the stock coil, is that the only benefit?  For relic hunting TID is less important then audio IMO.

Honestly I haven't noticed any, but what you don't find is what you don't find. I'm not big on testing.

I will say this: I went to a beach last summer that had been replenished with about 12" of sand just before I got there. I was getting dimes, quarters and sinkers that were at least that deep, I'll see if I can link the post. Some were deeper even in wet sand. I didn't see where I was missing anything. 😀

A system reset is a good idea, I do recall recently that not resetting drove the IDs up a bit. I don't change a lot of settings so it isn't a big deal for me.

Another thing I've noticed is that for me it's much easier to ground balance, and it seems more resistant to EMI.

Got the link:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/16411-beach-trip-not-much-so-far-but-interesting-coiltek-10x5/

• Like 1

I bought a 5 x10 before x - mas off amazon, site says they still have some. 

I can't wait to use it, but its a bit cold here. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Thanks guys, I have one coming! 👍

I'm really hoping the 5x10 coil will help with brush hunting, just hope I don't loose much depth as there are some deep targets at the site want to test it at first.

I haven't noticed any loss of depth in my Rocky Mountain iron hot dirt. The deepest target I have dug in our parks (no plug allowed) is 8 Inches, but I have passed on 10" and deeper targets because I can't go that deep without making a mess. I did dig a 12 inch deep 6" pie plate in a farm field though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Honestly I haven't noticed any, but what you don't find is what you don't find. I'm not big on testing.

I will say this: I went to a beach last summer that had been replenished with about 12" of sand just before I got there. I was getting dimes, quarters and sinkers that were at least that deep, I'll see if I can link the post. Some were deeper even in wet sand. I didn't see where I was missing anything. 😀

A system reset is a good idea, I do recall recently that not resetting drove the IDs up a bit. I don't change a lot of settings so it isn't a big deal for me.

Another thing I've noticed is that for me it's much easier to ground balance, and it seems more resistant to EMI.

Got the link:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/16411-beach-trip-not-much-so-far-but-interesting-coiltek-10x5/

Thanks, that was a good read. 

Love hunting these old sandy soil sites after some winter rain,  easy digging and the deepies come alive.

• Like 1

Brian your going to loose some depth for sure. I've been using one for a while now...it's a nice coil the main advantage is the shape and feather weight of the coil. I've been using it in heavy iron/trash for better separation. You will find it useful in heavy brush as well but that not why I bought one. Mount it on an extra shaft and put it in your backpack thats what I do if I'm walking in somewhere. The tip of the coil is sensitive but I dont know if I'd call it the "G" spot on the coil. One thing I noticed the other day that was interesting...I have some deep targets buried with nails that I set up for testing the  characteristics of programs on the Equinox when I first got it. I have 6 stations.... all are seven inches or deeper. with nails in close proximity. The CTX was mainly nulling on these targets. The Nox with the 10x5 surprised me and was able to hit some of the targets thus outperforming the CTX with the larger coil. 

strick 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, strick said:

I have some deep targets buried with nails that I set up for testing the  characteristics of programs on the Equinox when I first got it. I have 6 stations.... all are seven inches or deeper. with nails in close proximity. The CTX was mainly nulling on these targets. The Nox with the 10x5 surprised me and was able to hit some of the targets thus outperforming the CTX with the larger coil.

Have you run the Eqx 11" stock coil over that same testbed?  I'm curious how it compares to the 5"x10" Coiltek NOX under these challenging conditions.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Have you run the Eqx 11" stock coil over that same testbed?  I'm curious how it compares to the 5"x10" Coiltek NOX under these challenging conditions.

Yes the test bed was made for testing the nox with 11" coil when It first came out....the test bed has changed some now that it is several years old (I got a zillion gophers plus a dog that loves to dig for them) but originally the nox with 11 inch coil would hit most of the targets with 11" coil...we were testing only the nox using the different programs...I will try and run the 11" over it again if i get time this week and compare to the 10x5. 

strick

• Like 4