Coiltek 10x5 Coil Availability?

Cal_Cobra

4 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I received my new CoilTek 10X5 NOX coil and decided to do a quick target check between it and the stock 11" coil to see if it made sense (to me) to perform a factory reset.    What do you think?

Great video. Can't wait to see what you get with that coil. 👍

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 5:29 PM, strick said:

So I went out and just tested the 10x5 against the 11. first ran over everything with the 11 twice...first  in field 2 and then back again in Park 1... then put on the the 10x5 and repeated doing the same. There are 6 stations all with a coin and a nail or nails all from 7 to 9 inches deep. Couple targets  have 3 nails near it  and one target has 4 nails surrounding it. Like I said earlier I have no way of knowing what has changed  due to all the critters underground but my conclusion is that the 10x5 hit everything the 11 did but did it better due to the separation ability. I'm surprised about this as I figured some targets would be too deep for it to hear. Everything sounded better in Park one then in Field 2 

Settings:  

Park 1

Sensitivity 22

ground balance manual

FE 0

FE2 0

Recovery 5

Wide open Horse shoe which is how I usually like to hunt 

strick 

I'm glad the 5X10 hit all the targets the 11 did.  I've read that targets are more pronounced on the Coitek coil, and it's supposed to handle EMI better (smaller size?).    I almost always use Field 2 when relic hunting, I'll have to compare a few targets in the field between Park 1 and Field 2. 

Thanks for running this test, very helpful. 

• Like 2

I still don't have a Coiltek NOX 10x5 and don't know if I'll be getting one.  But that doesn't stop me from speculating on what I would do if I got one and saw the dTID shift.  Here's a solution I think would work for me.  I start by stating my coin detecting stragegy.

1) All of my 20th Century coin detecting of parks and schools is done in Park 1 with everything customized in 5 tones.  Thus factory resetting every time I swapped the coil would be a major PitA.

2) I'm pretty sure (wish Minelab would say...) that if you mimic every setting in Park 1 and Field 1 to match, the detector will perform identically.  So..., I use Park 1 for the 11" coil and and Field 1 for the 10x5 coil.

3) If there is a difference in TID that affects my 20th Century coin searching (which is basically dTID's of 12-13 for USA nickels and 19 and above for all other 20th Century USA coins in Park 1) then I'll have to learn & memorize what dTID's to set my Field 1 for when using the 10x5.  Again, this should only affect my medium-hi tone region (USA nickels) and the start of the high conductor coins (low edge of High tone being set for Indian Head cents).

When I detect sites that might contain 18th Century coins I just use 2 tone mode and dig all (or most) above dTID of ~6 (USA nickel 3 cent piece being the low edge for the high tone).  So if nickel 3-center dTID's vary depending upon coil I can still use both Park 1 and Field 1 as above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

I still don't have a Coiltek NOX 10x5 and don't know if I'll be getting one.  But that doesn't stop me from speculating on what I would do if I got one and saw the dTID shift.  Here's a solution I think would work for me.  I start by stating my coin detecting stragegy.

1) All of my 20th Century coin detecting of parks and schools is done in Park 1 with everything customized in 5 tones.  Thus factory resetting every time I swapped the coil would be a major PitA.

2) I'm pretty sure (wish Minelab would say...) that if you mimic every setting in Park 1 and Field 1 to match, the detector will perform identically.  So..., I use Park 1 for the 11" coil and and Field 1 for the 10x5 coil.

3) If there is a difference in TID that affects my 20th Century coin searching (which is basically dTID's of 12-13 for USA nickels and 19 and above for all other 20th Century USA coins in Park 1) then I'll have to learn & memorize what dTID's to set my Field 1 for when using the 10x5.  Again, this should only affect my medium-hi tone region (USA nickels) and the start of the high conductor coins (low edge of High tone being set for Indian Head cents).

When I detect sites that might contain 18th Century coins I just use 2 tone mode and dig all (or most) above dTID of ~6 (USA nickel 3 cent piece being the low edge for the high tone).  So if nickel 3-center dTID's vary depending upon coil I can still use both Park 1 and Field 1 as above.

That's a good strategy.  I mainly relic hunt remote sites, mainly hunting by tones, but it's always exciting to get a high tone and see a high 20's-mid 30's TID  🙂   From my testing the TID variation between the two coils for relic hunting sites is a non-issue, we're mostly likely going to dig any conductor. 

As long as not doing a factory reset doesn't hamper performance, I think I'll let it be.  I'm really looking forward to testing it out, thanks!

• Like 3

I've never had to do a factory reset switching coils on my Nox 800. The Id's remain the same no matter which coil I use, 11, 5x10 or the 6". Maybe I got a good one. 

• Like 4

No reset here either...plug and play....last Saturdays hunt with the 10x5...although I packed in my 11" coil and Deus in my day pack I never took off the 10x5....not one coin 😞 

strick  

5970A01D-99D3-46C5-AA4A-D50D128A0312.jpeg

FD725281-7D4C-4083-8E79-20D0E40BF204.jpeg

28A3F728-7101-49D9-83D6-093088C945B9.jpeg

E93C1AB2-07D4-4A1F-97B7-FA4EF50B5E4A.jpeg

2CFC7D88-EAE9-47D6-B1B7-E3456AC20D3E.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 1

Great to see a powder flask found . I love finding them and have been meaning to do a post about them on this forum , will have to extract a digit .

I see no real benefit doing a reset when using my 10x5 . The occasional target upgrading by a single digit is hardly worth the inconvenience of redoing settings and i mostly dig it all anyway as long as not clearly ferrous . The 10x5 is superior in red basalt soils near here that give high ground balance values and very limited depth with the 11" , and 15x12" .  It's an all round very worthy addition to the armory in my experience .

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 7:27 AM, strick said:

No reset here either...plug and play....last Saturdays hunt with the 10x5...although I packed in my 11" coil and Deus in my day pack I never took off the 10x5....not one coin 😞 

strick  

5970A01D-99D3-46C5-AA4A-D50D128A0312.jpeg

FD725281-7D4C-4083-8E79-20D0E40BF204.jpeg

28A3F728-7101-49D9-83D6-093088C945B9.jpeg

E93C1AB2-07D4-4A1F-97B7-FA4EF50B5E4A.jpeg

2CFC7D88-EAE9-47D6-B1B7-E3456AC20D3E.jpeg

Nice powder flasks!! With all those finds, there has to be coins and/or tokens there.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 1:46 AM, Hunterjunk said:

Great to see a powder flask found . I love finding them and have been meaning to do a post about them on this forum , will have to extract a digit .

I see no real benefit doing a reset when using my 10x5 . The occasional target upgrading by a single digit is hardly worth the inconvenience of redoing settings and i mostly dig it all anyway as long as not clearly ferrous . The 10x5 is superior in red basalt soils near here that give high ground balance values and very limited depth with the 11" , and 15x12" .  It's an all round very worthy addition to the armory in my experience .

I came to the same conclusion after I compared a bunch of targets.  I think it will be a good coil, it'll come out the next time I'm hunting a busy site.

• Like 2