Reading The Manual And Learning My Detector

ks1652

Great idea. I'm going to add those to the samples in my yard.  So far the tones are close but there is a difference. I was watching a Bill Southerns video the other night and he's amazing....he can hear the slightest of tone variations. Un real. I'll get there!

• Like 1

There are always some gold test nuggets on Ebay in the range of $70 to $100 or so a gram. If you place a marker like a golf tee over it you shouldn't lose one, but if you leave it out there too long and forget, well looking for it would be good practice anyhow.

• Like 1

Good idea. Definitely adding flattened out split shot to the grid. I certainly don't need to add nails or screws to the mix a my home reno makes sure I have plenty of those targets! I have a few pickers of gold in vials and they sound off however the tone might be altered through the glass and water. Everything I'm running into is another step in the learning curve so roadblocks with resolution are welcomed. Some tones are very discernible while others kinda just meld....or blend into the impossible to differentiate. Step by step. Once I feel comfortable I'm going to look into either the Gold Monster 1000 or Equinox 800. I'm not going to get mommas OK for that for a dtector like the GPX 6000. I already have my brains full with the GB2 so a new one is down the line. I appreciate everything you guys are suggesting.

12 hours ago, ks1652 said:

Good idea. Definitely adding flattened out split shot to the grid. I certainly don't need to add nails or screws to the mix a my home reno makes sure I have plenty of those targets!

I hear that. I have a tiny back yard, yet in a few hours I filled up a 2 quart jar with rusty screws and nails alone, not counting aluminum and other trash. I saved some for placing near test targets, but honestly there's still so much crap in there it's almost unnecessary.

When I first started detecting the place I lived at was on a couple acres that once held junk cars. Some book or another instructed to clear out a 20' or so patch of ground to use as a test garden. That was quite the training experience. Filled up half a garbage can before I finally just used the ground as is. My kid had a great time at 'guess what the heck this is'. 

• Like 2

I only had the quick start guide for the first few months....

No internet so no manual till I found someone to download it for me.

Still don't have a printed copy...but I did make a cliff notes manual on file cards to keep in my headphone case.

Then I found DP forum. 

(I think Chase has the manual memorized ??)🧐

Wish I lived closer to Rye Patch so I could hang out with Gerry  and Lunk , doubt the manual would come close to that !

If you can get into one of their classes , you'll be SET UP !

12 hours ago, lostcoast said:

I hear that. I have a tiny back yard, yet in a few hours I filled up a 2 quart jar with rusty screws and nails alone, not counting aluminum and other trash. I saved some for placing near test targets, but honestly there's still so much crap in there it's almost unnecessary.

When I first started detecting the place I lived at was on a couple acres that once held junk cars. Some book or another instructed to clear out a 20' or so patch of ground to use as a test garden. That was quite the training experience. Filled up half a garbage can before I finally just used the ground as is. My kid had a great time at 'guess what the heck this is'. 

It's amazing what's in the ground aroundour homes. I believe you can collect a garbage can full over time. You did a good thing cleaning that much junk up.. This is great training for my claim which is amazingly clean.

8 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

I only had the quick start guide for the first few months....

No internet so no manual till I found someone to download it for me.

Still don't have a printed copy...but I did make a cliff notes manual on file cards to keep in my headphone case.

Then I found DP forum. 

(I think Chase has the manual memorized ??)🧐

Wish I lived closer to Rye Patch so I could hang out with Gerry  and Lunk , doubt the manual would come close to that !

If you can get into one of their classes , you'll be SET UP !

This website is a God send. There's an incredible amount of experience here. Hanging out with folks who know a lot is on the job training.  I found most manufacturers website offer manuals in pdf format. Like you I carry them into the field. However nothing beats a well seasoned mentor willing to share the knowledge. When I go to detect or rockhound or arrowhead hunt I'm like a 10 year old and I just want to get busy findin'.....momma was right " you got no control boy"

• Like 3

ks152,  when I bought my 5000 most of the information in the manual went zipping over my head. Only after using it for some time, I went back to reading the manual again an found that I understood quite a bit more, same with the 7000 after some use.

I still go back from time to time to pick up on anything I may have overlooked or misunderstood. Always a good idea to go back to the manual if you do not understand everything about the detector. 

23 hours ago, MSC said:

ks152,  when I bought my 5000 most of the information in the manual went zipping over my head. Only after using it for some time, I went back to reading the manual again an found that I understood quite a bit more, same with the 7000 after some use.

I still go back from time to time to pick up on anything I may have overlooked or misunderstood. Always a good idea to go back to the manual if you do not understand everything about the detector. 

I agree. Being one of those " older folk " a lot goes zipping by me. It's always nice to be able to confirm via the manual what you discover during the trial and error phase.  I carry all that stuff with me in the field in the event a senior " moment occurs. Thank you for commenting.