Which Coil For Deus 2- 9” Or 11”?

Greetings all. This is my first post here outside of the meet and greet section. I’m running a Nox 800 now, but I’m adding the Deus 2 to the arsenal tomorrow (getting on the order list). My question is: which is the better coil option, 9” or 11”, and why? I’ve watched most of Calabash Digger’s videos, but don’t find a video where he discusses this. I understand the improved separation with smaller coils in trashy areas with all the other detectors I have owned, are the benefits the same with the D2? Any other real differences other than a slightly larger coverage area and trash separation? Any advice from any of the people fortunate to have used/tested the Deus 2 would be much appreciated. TIA

Mac

2 hours ago, GnshpCSO said:

Greetings all. This is my first post here outside of the meet and greet section. I’m running a Nox 800 now, but I’m adding the Deus 2 to the arsenal tomorrow (getting on the order list). My question is: which is the better coil option, 9” or 11”, and why? I’ve watched most of Calabash Digger’s videos, but don’t find a video where he discusses this. I understand the improved separation with smaller coils in trashy areas with all the other detectors I have owned, are the benefits the same with the D2? Any other real differences other than a slightly larger coverage area and trash separation? Any advice from any of the people fortunate to have used/tested the Deus 2 would be much appreciated. TIA

Mac

Hi , Welcome ,

I dont have a D2 yet but I imagine that it will the same for the D2 as for all the other detectors/brands I have owned ... : 

9' coil
  the plus : light ,  excellent in the iron trash  , easy target centering
  the cons : less ground coverage than the 11" , a little less depth on medium/big coins than the 11"

11' coil 
  the plus :
  the deepest on big targets ( medium/big coins ) in clean soils, the important ground coverage
  the cons : poor separation in the iron trash , it is often difficult to center the targets without a pinpointer , and last but not least they are usually heavy 

From my standpoint I detect inland and very often in the irons , and I dont like nose heavy machines , then I will go for the D2 9" ...

• Like 5

9” is what I have on preorder.  I don’t need the extra 2” of coverage for where I hunt.  If I do, I’ll still have my nox. However if this new deus is as good as it looks in all the videos so far, I can see me selling off the nox and getting the 11” coil for the deus.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Hi , Welcome ,

I dont have a D2 yet but I imagine that it will the same for the D2 as for all the other detectors/brands I have owned ... : 

9' coil
  the plus : light ,  excellent in the iron trash  , easy target centering
  the cons : less ground coverage than the 11" , a little less depth on medium/big coins than the 11"

11' coil 
  the plus :
  the deepest on big targets like big coins , important ground coverage
  the cons : poor separation in the iron trash , difficult to center the targets without a pinpointer , and last but not least they are usually heavy 

From my standpoint I detect inland and very often in the irons , and I dont like nose heavy machines , then I will go for the D2 9" ...

Thanks for the input. Greats points you make. Like you, I figure it would be the same scenario as other detector small vs large coil pros and cons. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

9” is what I have on preorder.  I don’t need the extra 2” of coverage for where I hunt.  If I do, I’ll still have my nox. However if this new deus is as good as it looks in all the videos so far, I can see me selling off the nox and getting the 11” coil for the deus.  

Thanks for the input. My line of thinking is that it might save some money to buy the D2 with the 11" upfront since it is the same price as with the 9". My reasoning is that the larger coils tend to be more expensive than the smaller coils when purchased individually, so it might be less expensive to acquire the 9" coil later. What do you think? I still plan to keep my Nox as a backup and for family members to use when they hunt with me. 

20 minutes ago, GnshpCSO said:

Thanks for the input. My line of thinking is that it might save some money to buy the D2 with the 11" upfront since it is the same price as with the 9". My reasoning is that the larger coils tend to be more expensive than the smaller coils when purchased individually, so it might be less expensive to acquire the 9" coil later. What do you think? I still plan to keep my Nox as a backup and for family members to use when they hunt with me. 

For me it boils down to which coil would work better not the price differential.  I can see your point though, but if the 9” coil will work better for you is it worth the hassle of using the 11” to save $50?    

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

For me it boils down to which coil would work better not the price differential.  I can see your point though, but if the 9” coil will work better for you is it worth the hassle of using the 11” to save $50?    

Good point, I was just referring to the event where somebody knows they will be buying both coils for their different abilities. The 11" for general detecting and the 9" for better separation in high trash or iron areas. That's kind of what I'm trying to figure out- is there a significant enough difference between a 9" and 11" XP coil to warrant planning to purchase both (depth, seperation abilities, VID abilities, etc.)? I could see a considerable difference between a 6" coil and an 11" coil as with the Nox, but how much of a difference between 9" and 11" coil with similar tech? I'm probably splitting hairs here, but I really am curious. 

29 minutes ago, GnshpCSO said:

Good point, I was just referring to the event where somebody knows they will be buying both coils for their different abilities. The 11" for general detecting and the 9" for better separation in high trash or iron areas. That's kind of what I'm trying to figure out- is there a significant enough difference between a 9" and 11" XP coil to warrant planning to purchase both (depth, seperation abilities, VID abilities, etc.)? I could see a considerable difference between a 6" coil and an 11" coil as with the Nox, but how much of a difference between 9" and 11" coil with similar tech? I'm probably splitting hairs here, but I really am curious. 

Calabash might be able to answer that.  Other than that The nine incher will be a little lighter and easier to swing. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, GnshpCSO said:

... I could see a considerable difference between a 6" coil and an 11" coil as with the Nox, but how much of a difference between 9" and 11" coil with similar tech? I'm probably splitting hairs here, but I really am curious. 

No you are not splitting hairs there s defintely a big difference between a 11" and a 9". The iron separation is MUCH better with a 9" coil than a 11" coil. And a 9" coil is usually siginificantly lighter than a 11".  

If you look at all the detectors from other brands you will see that they mostly propose a 9" or eliiptical equivalent ( 11X7 for the T2/G2 for example ) as stock coil . There are some exceptions to this with ML and the Equinox for example , not sure that it was a good idea from them 🙂 ...

• Like 1

To further complicate your questions...

I have the 11" and Coiltek 10x5" (actually 9.5x5") coils for the Nox and rarely use the 11" anymore even in large fields because of the hot dirt and trash in our lovely Colorado grounds.

But if XP does develop a 9.5x5" FMF coil at some point, the 9" coil would be not needed IMHO.

So to live in the now vs later, I'm thinking the 9" coil is still the way to go to get the superior separation and lighter swing. If the 9.5x5" coil comes out, I could sell the 9" and buy an 11". That's my way of thinking right now anyway.

• Like 4