Which Coil For Deus 2- 9” Or 11”?

I had pre-ordered the 11" package with my dealer weeks ago. Yesterday, after reviewing all the places I enjoy using my Deus 1, I realized I should start with the 9" to continue hunting those areas with the Deus 2.  I believe XP will come out with an 11x13" or similar for the beach hunters and think I'll wait for that. So I called my dealer and updated my order to the 9" package.

As for coils smaller than the 9" round FMF, i thought I read / heard that XP won't be making a smaller elliptical coil for the Deus 2 due to the size of the FMF chip and battery needed to run it.  Did anybody else read / hear that?  I've seen so many Deus 2 videos and read so many posts the last month or so, it's hard to remember sources.

somebody mentioned they would hang onto their Deus 1 with the elliptical HF coil because of this.

Rich

• Like 2

That would be a real shame if there was no small coils, it seems there will never be one detector to do it all, something always prevents it. 

So no big coil which I need and no small coil which I need, not looking promising.  So the wireless coils end up stuffing it for me afterall as no aftermarket manufacturer can fill my needs when XP won't. 

I'll sit out the Deus until there is more information, and details about future coils, I'm in no rush anyway as 80% of my detecting is now gold and I'm less likely to use it for that anyway, especially with no small coil. 

• Like 2

I like small coils and large coils. No 5x10 for D2, so I got the 9”. Hoping they make the 11x13 or larger, I’d probably get one of those.

Much as I would have liked the 5x10 I doubt I’d spring for another $400 to get one if I already have the 9” round. Not enough performance spread there for the money. I like my coils to be quite different and distinct from each other, and small, medium, large basically does the trick.

• Like 8

On 1/7/2022 at 12:07 PM, phrunt said:

For coins I use the 15x12 on the Nox and 17x13 on my Ctx, the bigger the coil the better for me in my mild relatively junk free soils with deep old coins, even the 11 inch seems to small for my needs, I rarely use my Nox 11 inch for coins. 

I do like the Minelab 15x12 coil, but most of my sites have too much overgrowth/brush to use one effectively.  It does great in iron for it's size, not too heavy, good ground coverage and it's a little deeper than the stock 11" coil.   Obviously it does make a stock Equinox fairly nose heavy, but I'm usually scrubbing the ground anyhow.

• Like 4

On 1/7/2022 at 4:10 PM, Calmark said:

Since I coin and nugget hunt in soils that are high to severely mineralized, I would think the 9in coil for me may help in such nasty ground by balancing more easily and seeing less "bad dirt" type stuff each pass of the coil.  I'm willing to give up coverage of the 11in in my situation and always have my Nox with 11in coil if I really do need more coverage.  I look forward to actually quantifying how bad my dirt is with a detector that has a mineralization type meter to see if it really is as bad as I think it is...

I definitely look forward to more info on how the Deus 2 does in high to severely mineralized ground and if the coil size actually makes much of a difference.  So far things look decent in salt conditions and in medium mineralized ground from Calabash's videos.   

Yeah, in the worst ground coils getting larger coils  often gains no depth…. might even get less than smaller coils! Hard for most to believe, but I’ve seen it plenty with VLF, and it is why prospectors have to go PI in bad ground if they want to run large coils. I really get large coils just for ground coverage, and consider any depth gained just a nice bonus.

I’d love an Equinox style 15x12 on the D2, would put it on a custom balanced rod, but I don’t expect it to happen, so 13x11 is best I might hope for.

• Like 2

Maybe I'm a rarety but separation means very little to me, targets are often few and far between.  Nz is a very young country and junk targets don't go all that far back in time.  

I really like big VLF coils for detecting as in my mild soils they do provide added depth, not only that if looking for coins or jewellery targets are few and far between in most places I've tried.  An example I was at a beach 15 minutes or so from the city center of the second biggest city on the South Island today, I did two hours detecting walking miles along the beach and only found one target the entire time which was a 20 cent coin. 

I took a quick video of the detector on the beach, I found 23 sensitivity best as 25 gave some Emi problems perhaps from my phone. 

With no luck detecting my daughter, pooch (Rambo) and I went for a swim instead.  I only had my 6 and 11 inch coils with me as I'm away on a trip and only intended to do prospecting. 

IMG_20220110_134239.thumb.jpg.f7bdbbcefc9a2e23317d05893b1524c9.jpg

IMG_20220110_143243.thumb.jpg.49dcefc97fc4c4c585f8efb7cbc0869f.jpg

IMG_20220110_135923.thumb.jpg.a39eb2a41a68004c3867dedaf07c451a.jpg

IMG_20220110_140010.thumb.jpg.b6dc4ba84ca18f73cbfb6fe28aa869f6.jpg

So for me personally I hope XP make larger coils. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I like small coils and large coils. No 5x10 for D2, so I got the 9”. Hoping the make the 11x13 or larger, I’d probably get one of those.

Much as I would have liked the 5x10 I doubt I’d spring for another $400 to get one if I already have the 9” round. Not enough performance spread there for the money. I like my coils to be quite different and distinct from each other, and small, medium, large basically does the trick.

This mirrors my thoughts exactly in re to coils needing to be different enough from each other to warrant owning both. Although I’m in for the 9” coil on the D2, it just seems to me like both coils are too similar outside of the minor size differences. Is the 9” really that much more nimble in tight spots than the 11”? Maybe, but on par with the difference between the Nox 6” vs the 11” or 15” (for sure, when I swing that bear there is no doubt it is on the end of the shaft😅).

Further, is the 9” really that much more efficient in separating through the trash than the 11”? Is the difference similar to, or better than the Nox 6” vs 11” in separating? I will find out if I ever get my D2 in my hands. 😐 Odds are, I will use the 9” D2 until used 11” coils hit the forums and I’ll add on. Surely XP engineers knew what they were doing by implementing 2 coils on the D2 that seem so close in size and overall capabilities?

For the sake of coil sales and differentiating all the coils in a product line, one would think XP would follow suit with the other brands and make coils that are noticeably (and technically) unique from the others in the line. If history is an indicator, XP will surely add to their coil line after a while, but why not do like ML did with the Nox and offer 2-3 unique coils with the launch of the new machine? Just seems like better business to me- sell as much as you can while people are excited and spending (strike while the iron is hot).  But if XP has no real plans to expand the coil line for the D2, they will surely lose out on the aftermarket companies filling the gap. Just thinking out loud here, please (anybody) educate me if I’m missing something here.

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Maybe I'm a rarety but separation means very little to me, targets are often few and far between.  Nz is a very young country and junk targets don't go all that far back in time.  

I really like big VLF coils for detecting as in my mild soils they do provide added depth, not only that if looking for coins or jewellery targets are few and far between in most places I've tried.  An example I was at a beach 15 minutes or so from the city center of the second biggest city on the South Island today, I did two hours detecting walking miles along the beach and only found one target the entire time which was a 20 cent coin. 

I took a quick video of the detector on the beach, I found 23 sensitivity best as 25 gave some Emi problems perhaps from my phone. 

With no luck detecting my daughter, pooch (Rambo) and I went for a swim instead.  I only had my 6 and 11 inch coils with me as I'm away on a trip and only intended to do prospecting. 

IMG_20220110_134239.thumb.jpg.f7bdbbcefc9a2e23317d05893b1524c9.jpg

IMG_20220110_143243.thumb.jpg.49dcefc97fc4c4c585f8efb7cbc0869f.jpg

IMG_20220110_135923.thumb.jpg.a39eb2a41a68004c3867dedaf07c451a.jpg

IMG_20220110_140010.thumb.jpg.b6dc4ba84ca18f73cbfb6fe28aa869f6.jpg

So for me personally I hope XP make larger coils. 

Very nice! It looks like you sure have some awesome beaches to hunt. And they look empty of people, which is an added bonus (at least to me). Thanks for posting the video and pics.
The only areas I would use larger coils here in Colorado is out east in the state where the terrain is basically prairie/plains. Most of what is around here is highly mineralized soil, cities/towns (decent amount of trashy areas), and mountain rivers, towns, etc. (which are great to look for gold like you do there in NZ, also old silver in the mining towns). So, a 9” or 11” coil would be sufficient for 90% of the areas here, but a 6” (or equivalent) is also a necessity for to other 10% (trash/iron separation). I have all three coils for my Nox 800, but rarely use the 15”. But she’s ready for action if I ever find a promising old abandoned ghost/mining town.⛏️

• Like 1

I was on the fence between the two but after seeing calabash’s video of the 11 inch coil seeing the gold coin between the 2 iron nails. The 11 inch being able to separate that well, I was surprised. I’m getting the 11 inch. 

8 hours ago, GnshpCSO said:

But if XP has no real plans to expand the coil line for the D2, they will surely lose out on the aftermarket companies filling the gap. Just thinking out loud here, please (anybody) educate me if I’m missing something here.

XP coils are way different than any other manufacturer's coils in that the 'guts' of the detector are actually in the coil housing, along with the windings.  So, no, in the case of XP the aftermarket coil options are m/l impossible.

• Like 1