Which Coil For Deus 2- 9” Or 11”?

I'd personally go with the 9in since it would separate better, fit into tighter areas and be lighter weight.  Definite pluses in trashy parks, in iron-infested sites and if I were to do a bit of nugget hunting in rough areas.  I've really enjoyed the 10x5 on my Equinox over the 11in stock coil for these very same reasons.  

• Like 5

I'd love to see some comparisons in depth between the D2 w/9" and D2 w/11" coils. 

I would say that 90% of the time I use the stock 11" coil on my EQX800 and am happy with it, but I do on occasion also use the 6" coil with good success and on rare occasion I use the 15" coil.

It's a shame you have to base your decision on do I want more depth or better iron separation.  Why can't I have my cake and eat it too?  haha

If the depth differentiation between the 9" and 11" is significant, I would be leaning towards the 11" simply because that's what I've been using 90% of the time on the EQX800 with good success even in iron infested sites. Given the DNA of the D2, I suspect the Deus2 w/11" coil will outperform the EQX800 w/11" coil in iron.

I see what GnshpCSO was asking, assume he wants both coils.  Being that both the 9" and 11" packages are the same price, what about the cost of buying a separate coil, are the coils the same price?  In other words say the 11" coil à la carte was $100 more than then 9" coil.  He'd buy the 11" coil package now, and then buy the 9" coil al la carte to have both coils and it would be $100 savings versus buying the 9" package and then adding the 11" coil à la carte.  Hope that makes sense.

• Like 4

For coins I use the 15x12 on the Nox and 17x13 on my Ctx, the bigger the coil the better for me in my mild relatively junk free soils with deep old coins, even the 11 inch seems to small for my needs, I rarely use my Nox 11 inch for coins. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I'd love to see some comparisons in depth between the D2 w/9" and D2 w/11" coils. 

I would say that 90% of the time I use the stock 11" coil on my EQX800 and am happy with it, but I do on occasion also use the 6" coil with good success and on rare occasion I use the 15" coil.

It's a shame you have to base your decision on do I want more depth or better iron separation.  Why can't I have my cake and eat it too?  haha

If the depth differentiation between the 9" and 11" is significant, I would be leaning towards the 11" simply because that's what I've been using 90% of the time on the EQX800 with good success even in iron infested sites. Given the DNA of the D2, I suspect the Deus2 w/11" coil will outperform the EQX800 w/11" coil in iron.

I see what GnshpCSO was asking, assume he wants both coils.  Being that both the 9" and 11" packages are the same price, what about the cost of buying a separate coil, are the coils the same price?  In other words say the 11" coil à la carte was $100 more than then 9" coil.  He'd buy the 11" coil package now, and then buy the 9" coil al la carte to have both coils and it would be $100 savings versus buying the 9" package and then adding the 11" coil à la carte.  Hope that makes sense.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. The main issue I have is that most other detectors have a considerable difference between coil sizes (Nox 6" vs 11" for example). The D2 only has a 2 inch overall difference between the 2 coils offered- is there really that much of a weight difference or ability to seperate/work tight spots with that small of a size difference? It just seems to me that if a guy/gal had to choose between the two, everything equal (and even near equal on the size- 2 inch difference) that a person would choose the coil that has a bit of an advantage on ground coverage. So, to those who have tested both coils, are they really drastically different? I have an 11" on order, but can change if I'm convinced that the 9" is the best way to go. Thanks everybody for chiming in, this is what makes this forum great.

• Like 2

The price is the same on the only site that I can find that is advertising them in the USA $399.

Brand new detector technology so I can't give any Deus 2 advice.

With Deus 1 and ORX, the 9" coils felt the best for me. The HF 9" was deeper and more sensitive than the original 9". I never liked swinging the 11" on the Deus 1 and ORX.....way too nose heavy.

As far as depth between FMF 9" and 11". That would depend on soil mineralization.

Here in Colorado I never saw any depth difference between Deus 1 and ORX 11" and 9" due to mineralization. Horizontal ground coverage was definitely better with the 11". Target separation and sensitivity to smaller targets was definitely better with the 9"........

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The price is the same on the only site that I can find that is advertising them in the USA $399.

Brand new detector technology so I can't give any Deus 2 advice.

With Deus 1 and ORX, the 9" coils felt the best for me. The HF 9" was deeper and more sensitive than the original 9". I never liked swinging the 11" on the Deus 1 and ORX.....way too nose heavy.

As far as depth between FMF 9" and 11". That would depend on soil mineralization.

Here in Colorado I never saw any difference between Deus 1 and ORX 11" and 9" due to mineralization. Horizontal ground coverage was definitely better with the 11". Target separation was definitely better with the 9"........

This makes sense. I probably should have asked for experience from D1 users, seems like that would be the closest comparison to guess on the D2. Thanks for chiming in with your D1 experience. I'm also in CO, but have primarily detected Midwest  (Nebraska and Iowa) soils until now, so I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Since I coin and nugget hunt in soils that are high to severely mineralized, I would think the 9in coil for me may help in such nasty ground by balancing more easily and seeing less "bad dirt" type stuff each pass of the coil.  I'm willing to give up coverage of the 11in in my situation and always have my Nox with 11in coil if I really do need more coverage.  I look forward to actually quantifying how bad my dirt is with a detector that has a mineralization type meter to see if it really is as bad as I think it is...

I definitely look forward to more info on how the Deus 2 does in high to severely mineralized ground and if the coil size actually makes much of a difference.  So far things look decent in salt conditions and in medium mineralized ground from Calabash's videos.   

• Like 2

I went ahead and switched my order from the 11" to the 9". I think, overall, the deciding factor is the weight. I'm pretty banged up from 5 years deployed, and 20 plus years of mil service, so I think every bit of weight I can shave of, no matter how minimal, will help me swing longer before my injuries end my day. 

However, I'm still highly interested in what the performance differences are between the two coils, and will pick up the 11" as well after I become comfortable with the D2 and 9" coil. When we get our machines, please come back to this thread with your experiences, especially if you have both coils and are able to do a comparison. I know many other threads will be started as well, but I think it would be good if we can close this thread out with real world comparisons and results. Thanks

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dabber said:

price for the 9" and the 11" is the same 399 euro,here in belgium.

I just had a discussion with a French dealer yesterday , yes the D2 9" and 11" coils prices will be at 399e . The RC 750e and the WS6 350e 🙂👍.  Available in April , then we ll have to wait a little 😒 ...  At the moment only the D2 full packages are available at 1600e .

I will probably order a 9' coil + the WS6 headphones in April , as I already have the D1 rod . Then total for me  749e  , which is a good deal as it looks like that the WS6 has all the settings that I need.

• Like 2