Deus 2 On Gold Chains... Will Be The Killer Or Another One.....?

Skull diver

Thin gold chains and tiny earrings with the Equinox in Beach 1.....maybe but not very deep

Beach 2 only if they are really shallow like 3" or less.

If you can run the Gold modes which depends on a lot of variable factors including your sanity and willingness to dig small trash in the -2 to +10 target ID range on a low black sand beach.....definitely.

Deus 2 with that really sensitive @40 kHz Beach Sensitive mode.......can't wait to try it.

Deus 2 in Goldfield......same situation as Nox/Deus 1/Orx Gold modes. I am usually hearing an imaginary threshold tone 24/7 for days and nights afterwards!!!!!

I get the desire to just find some gold even if it is a small 10K opened jump ring from a chain that is worth  $1 dollar US. Personally, I would just rather find 4 clad US quarters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

This comes up with every new detector. Will it detect thin chains and small ear rings in salt water? Yes, but no better than existing models. Why? Physics. It's not even in question if you know how detectors work. I'm just tired of this one so will leave it there. Believe me or not.

Hint. If an item reads in the same range as salt water, and you tune the salt water out, you can't detect the item either.

As usual, I agree with Steve.  However, I can tell you that on our Southern CA beaches I have found relatively thin gold chains, and parts of gold chains, in the wet sand with my Equinox 800 and the stock coil.  In every instance the TID read "1."  I've had other fellow hunters experience the same thing.  This is the only non-PI detector I have ever used that could find this sort of target.

• Like 4

Guest calabash digger
1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

This comes up with every new detector. Will it detect thin chains and small ear rings in salt water? Yes, but no better than existing models. Why? Physics. It's not even in question if you know how detectors work. I'm just tired of this one so will leave it there. Believe me or not.

Hint. If an item reads in the same range as salt water, and you tune the salt water out, you can't detect the item either.

Steve will the 40 kh Beach Program make any difference on such targets?

I am definitely not Steve but, it depends on which other frequency or frequencies are mixed with 40 kHz. There will be slightly different salt ground phase/ground balance values, one for each frequency. So it is possible that one of the frequencies (hopefully 40 kHz or something close) will get a good look at that small gold target. Using single frequency with salt compensation like Deus 1 or ORX........makes it much harder to hit targets with IDs that are in the vicinity of the salt ground phase value.

• Like 3

the very sensitivity of the detector that works in the beach mode / salt elimination mode / is, as Steve says, a very difficult task ..

Detector in the Beach program / wet salt sand ,, and sea water / because it loses sensitivity to very small objects ... On dry sand or in fresh water you can use some terrain program that will be significantly more sensitive to small gold ..

Equinox programs -and very  smal object sensitivity-Airtest..  

1446456499_maj212018apple5S024_DxO.jpg.a75781a40b7a06cd2ef1eb0af84fc6a7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The above chart by El Nino shows the situation well. It does not take salt compensation into account however. Those numbers could well be less for some modes and even show the smallest target not detected for others.

• Like 2

I am glad that such a good conversation has developed on the subject.
I hope soon real results will show what this detector can do.

Finding the chain in the salt water environment is the hardest, for sure. But there are also a lot of lost chains and small pieces of jewelry in freshwater. Rings and coins and silver are the first targets to be found. My own experience when I run out of rings from an area. With a good machine like the white HF coil on Deus, the smaller targets and chains come in line. This is also due to the fact that in the absence of signals, I search much more focused for small targets. Here in Europe, I cannot find heavy silver coins in the water, unfortunately. Even a smaller chain brings good grams to the kitchen.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The experience of the last few weeks in freshwater hunting is that the deus 2 is very good for small gold objects. Several pieces of earrings have already been dug up from fresh water, the smallest weighing 0.5 g, all open type, so they were difficult targets. With the Beach Sens and Sensitive Fulltone programs (the latter with pitch sound).
Gold chains.. well, this is a more difficult topic, I am testing it in the field, but there are no satisfactory results yet.

Experience by quite a few very knowledgeable nugget hunters has determined that the hype about Deus 2 and small gold was just that, hype. They have all returned to other detectors for that particular use. The Deus is a good machine on small gold, don't get me wrong, and will satisfy most people in that regard. It's just not a "game changer" or any of that nonsense, when it comes to small gold. And no, 40 kHz only is not going to change that.

I'm a freshwater beach hunter, I've never found a gold nugget and I probably never will.  I'm satisfied with jewelry.  Of course, I would be happy with a couple of nice gold chains.

I'm going to test version 0.6 and version 0.71 with my buddy on the same chain piece. With factory programs, in a shallow part of the beach. I wonder what the difference between the two versions will be.