Deus 2 On Gold Chains... Will Be The Killer Or Another One.....?

Skull diver

1 hour ago, Timmysys said:

The experience of the last few weeks in freshwater hunting is that the deus 2 is very good for small gold objects. Several pieces of earrings have already been dug up from fresh water, the smallest weighing 0.5 g, all open type, so they were difficult targets. With the Beach Sens and Sensitive Fulltone programs (the latter with pitch sound).
Gold chains.. well, this is a more difficult topic, I am testing it in the field, but there are no satisfactory results yet.

Deus 2's land based higher weighted multi frequency programs have a steep drop off on sensitivity to targets smaller than your 0.5 gram example. Goldfield in my opinion is the worst offender amazingly enough. Beach Sensitive for saltwater and Sensitive with Pitch Tones for land works the best for me so far and that is what I use when hunting for micro jewelry if I choose to use a multi frequency program for that. If I was gold prospecting with a Deus 2, I would mostly be depending on Deus 2 Mono set at 40 kHz at least, using Pitch tones if I could get it to ground balance well enough. The same goes for micro jewelry hunting if I don't want to miss anything that Sensitive could miss.  Hopefully XP can improve this issue with a software update sometime in the future. I might consider Deus 2 as a good choice for micro jewelry including small chains and gold prospecting then. Right now, I don't recommend it for those two types of hunting.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Timmysys said:

On a beach or water, jewelry weighing 0.5 g of gold is already enough for the limit.

Many earring backs, studs, pendents, small hoop earrings, broken jewelry and especially chains will not be detected by Deus 2 at any depth except near the surface. Some of those can be slightly larger than .5 grams in weight but are only giving a very small surface to be detected due to orientation. For really small gold chains, this is even more important. I would be very careful and double check a potential area with Deus 2 Mono if possible. Do your own testing too for sure.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The Deus is a good machine on small gold, don't get me wrong, and will satisfy most people in that regard. It's just not a "game changer" or any of that nonsense, when it comes to small gold. And no, 40 kHz only is not going to change that.

I guess running both machines now and testing small items, I agree with Steve. I do not see a bonus to either machine on a beach with detectable small gold. In the picture below, I found this chain with the Equinox a broken "1" tid signal. Buit strong and repeatable.  In an air test [not the same, i get it] The deus2 seemed to get a better signal to the Equinox. However could of been a different story in my Black Sand.
I think an important topic missed, is what function can you run in with the Deus2. I think for most beach hunters you can forget wet/sand water contact for Beach Sensitive.    
It is clear to me with wild finds that neither machine is going to have an advantage on small items. I already have the 9" coil for the Deus2 and I do not anticipate this will make any difference on small gold targets from what I tested.  There was some anticipation and hype from some about with the D2 on filling coffee cans with small gold. The reality is that is not going to happen. 

IMG_1688.JPG

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, midalake said:

I guess running both machines now and testing small items, I agree with Steve. I do not see a bonus to either machine on a beach with detectable small gold. In the picture below, I found this chain with the Equinox a broken "1" tid signal. Buit strong and repeatable.  In an air test [not the same, i get it] The deus2 seemed to get a better signal to the Equinox. 

IMG_1688.JPG

In my chain finds history with the Equinox and original Deus......that is a medium sized chain. If it's not too deep both detectors should hit it well enough to say "dig me"

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Timmysys said:

I'm a freshwater beach hunter, I've never found a gold nugget and I probably never will.  I'm satisfied with jewelry.  Of course, I would be happy with a couple of nice gold chains.

I'm going to test version 0.6 and version 0.71 with my buddy on the same chain piece. With factory programs, in a shallow part of the beach. I wonder what the difference between the two versions will be.

Gold is gold and facts are facts. Matters not if it's small nuggets, or small earrings, or thin chains, results will be the same. Jewelry hunters and nugget hunters are doing the same thing, and if you add salt water to the equation, both will hit a wall at exactly the same point - the conductivity level of the salt water. The Deus 2 is a fine machine for small gold, no doubt about it. There is no reason, however, that it must be made out to be more than that. Personally, I'd rather use the Deus 1 with 9.5" HF coil if small gold is the target.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Gold is gold and facts are facts. .......Personally, I'd rather use the Deus 1 with 9.5" HF coil if small gold is the target.

The white HF heads also worked great in the water. They were real chain hunter heads. I hope there will be a smaller head for the deus 2, perhaps with different or higher frequencies.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Timmysys said:

The white HF heads also worked great in the water. They were real chain hunter heads. I hope there will be a smaller head for the deus 2, perhaps with different or higher frequencies.

I want that small coil too but I am not optimistic.   XP balks at providing it because they can’t put a big enough battery in the coil body (remember the white HF coils have external connected batteries housed in the coil lower shaft).  XP implies that they don’t want dive and non-dive rated coils and if an integrated coil battery is a no go for the small elliptical to enable it to be dive rated, they will not bother to produce the coil.  If that turns out to be their final decision, I personally think that is a short sighted business decision because the demand would still definitely be there for a non-dive-rated small elliptical for the D2.  I figure they just don’t want the hassle of dealing with the dummies who don’t pay attention, dive with the non-dive-rated elliptical and expect XP to just “make it right”.

Could never get the D1/HF combo at high frequency to work stable in SALT water and I think it is important to be clear about whether one is talking salt or fresh water hunting.

Anyway, whether or not XP does ever come out with a small elliptical, one thing they could easily do to improve micro gold target  performance is to provide a mono frequency (4 to 40 kHz) variant of the gold field program as a companion to the SMF gold field and relic programs.  If they can also push at least the 9” D2 round coil to a frequency greater than 40 kHz (say up to the mid-50’s like the 9” white coil), so much the better.

• Like 4

Agreed. salt water is a whole different venue over fresh water. If you want to find tiny link gold chains in salt water, use a PI machine. The D2, Minelab BBS, FBS,  Nox, Legend, etc, will find chains if they have big enough links, and/or shallow enough, but, they're rather limited in their salt water modes in comparison to what a PI can do.

It looks like the only hold up on a 9.5X5" coil for the D2 is shrinking the main board in the coil. They did it for the D1 9.5HF coil, so they may already be working on that for the D2. I sure hope so.

XrayCoil-Deus-9-horz.jpg

HF-9X5-Coil.jpeg

• Like 3