No Tone Volume On The Xpd2?

Hombre91

Just got in.

Skimming, I see there are quite a few solid comments that I will go back and fully read in the A.M.

Day 2 with the XPD1:

Gary Blackwell is a premium asset to XP. Watching his videos set me up for operational success first rattle out of the box. Yesterday I banged out a silver the Anfibio had overlooked in a high trash area. Today his Sonar program in the iron delivered a day maker button with local history. Imagine what Gary could do with independent tone volume controls. ; )

I am surprised by how well the audio communicates to the user. There is some high end intuitive design incorporated in this audio circuitry, and obviously that is not an easy thing to pull off. 

The Deus was restricted by vegetation that the Anfibio can get through with less effort, but the light weight of the Deus provided me better total area coverage.  

Give me a rugged XPD2 with tone volume control and then watch out because all bets would be off. If they are not already so.

On the Anfibio even in VCO modes such as 2 Tone and Deep you can adjust the volume level for each tone independently. Put your tone break(s) wherever you want, then adjust each frequency to your liking, and then use volume to add weight to whichever tone(s) you want to be dominant and to what degree. You can see where this is useful for all multi tone modes. I reckon Gary B. would be able to conjure up some program platforms with those knobs.

But as some have suggested XP may not need any audio suggestions as it seems their machines work just fine

23 hours ago, Zord said:

That's why i don't use minelabs, they all sounds like "super-mario-bros" video game.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I want too a real treshold sound on my Ctx like I have it on my Excal and my Underwater...But with Digital machines this can only be a fake One😬

11 hours ago, Hombre91 said:

On the Anfibio even in VCO modes such as 2 Tone and Deep you can adjust the volume level for each tone independently. Put your tone break(s) wherever you want, then adjust each frequency to your liking, and then use volume to add weight to whichever tone(s) you want to be dominant and to what degree. You can see where this is useful for all multi tone modes. I reckon Gary B. would be able to conjure up some program platforms with those knobs.

But as some have suggested XP may not need any audio suggestions as it seems their machines work just fine

To piggy back on top of what Steve is saying about critical commentary of a detector in the detector's home forum especially repeated comparisons of the detector to another brand/model just results in a defensive response, naturally.

If your goal is to repeatedly focus on your thoughts on XP Deus in the context of Anfibio (or Nokta) as your point of reference (a valid approach), you're best bet is to start a thread over in the Metal Detector Advice and Comparisons forum.  It's more or less a neutral playing field for the discussion and while the discussion may still be "robust", you won't get as much defensiveness as you would on the brand's "home" forum.

Specific, to your discussion, when in VCO mode (pitch) on the Deus, you can adjust iron volume (the ferrous bin grunt) independent of the non-ferrous bin (VCO pitch) volume just as you describe in addition to moving the tone break using the disc setting.  Seems you need to gain a little more familiarity with the Deus detector features before launching your criticisms so you can gain some credibility.

• Like 2

I have apologized to Calabash and to Steve for my antics and personal attacks here. Steve has allowed me to return. I agree that i did a bad job of organizing my thoughts on this thread. Thank you to Steve for allowing me back Happy New Year!

Lets move forward. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Hombre91 said:

Thank you to Steve for allowing me back Happy New Year!

We all have our soil/beach and detector comparisons as it is our own reality.  I remember when I first got here and panned the Equinox on how it works in moving Salt Water.  [in fact I was cussing it today] 

While I did not get banned, there was some spirted discussion. I have learned to ease in  a bit more...............😁 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 9:21 AM, palzynski said:

I have never needed to adjust my volume segments individually . Having the same volume response from all my targets , except the ferrous , is exactly what I need  .  So no major omission of flexibility for me here ...

I think it all depends on how you like to configure the audio.  Audio is a very individually subjective preference.  One tone, two tones, three tones, 50, 60, 99 or 550 tones (remember the original Sovereign) doesn't matter as long as YOU click with it.  It's all about what works best for your ears, much as music is.  I agree that given your preferences, audio adjustability is probably not as beneficial for your requirements.   Having adjustable iron audio was a game changer for me (no more F75 audio fatigue!!!), but NM took it to a different level providing all kinds of audio options to suit your own individuality.  Much as we see Calabash sets up his D2 with a limited number of tones, even though he could (and I know I would) use full tones on the D2, but his custom program and tone selection is what brings home the bacon for him. 

It's all dependent on your personal needs and use case, use what works the best for you. 

• Like 4

On 1/8/2022 at 9:58 AM, Chase Goldman said:

As Jeff mentioned above, D2 further addresses this D1 "feature omission" somewhat with its various audio flexibility settings including graphic equalization and the ability to switch between PCM and Square Wave based waveforms.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you could run PCM and Square Wave simultaneously?  It seems as though the D2 will allow one to stack or overlay some options. 

6 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you could run PCM and Square Wave simultaneously?  It seems as though the D2 will allow one to stack or overlay some options. 

Cal - my read of the manual indicates you you have to pick one or the other (PCM or Square) as an optional setting for all tones for any given mode/program you are running.  But that’s a detail I can’t verify until I have one in my hands.  Perhaps a tester like Calabash can chime in to verify.

• Like 1