Oh boy, this should be a really good read. I am staying out of it.

• Haha 2

Jeff  

Here it is our place to shine and I find myself standing alone.

Here’s my wag ( wild ass guess) 

Garrett just couldn’t come out using the same term as Minelab did. 
 It all comes down of the two that has a elegant sound to your ears .

Chase don’t come along and shoot me out of the saddle.haha    
Chuck 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Chase don’t come along and shoot me out of the saddle.haha    

Don't worry my friend, guns holstered.

6 hours ago, Captorofsin said:

Hello. I've been doing lots of research but I think it's about time that I consulted some experts in this field.

What is the difference between

Minelab multi IQ and Ace Apex multiflex technologies

Capt,

No one can say what the difference is because nether company is willing to give anything concrete other than very vague generalities about using simultaneous multi frequency (SMF) transmission.  Can't even say with certainty which frequencies are transmitted or how many different frequencies are transmitted or even what the waveform looks like for either platform.

Similarly, we have NO idea about the software programming used to do the acquired target signal processing.  I believe the only similarity lies in the fact they are both SMF modes. 

However, Multi IQ is Minelab's fourth gen SMF Tech.  Multi Flex is Garret's first SMF rodeo.  The sophistication in SMF performance and the number of available multiple SMF profiles (Equinox has 4 to 7 depending on how you count things, while Garrett Apex only has 2 Non-salt and Salt) shows the Equinox to generally be superior consistent with its price point vs. Apex.  Apex is a solid first SMF attempt for Garrett, but Equinox runs circles around Apex especially in difficult ground for the most part and ML Vanquish, even with a less versatile implementation of Multi IQ has a similar but not as great a performance advantage over Apex. So that's the difference that matters.

Things are going to get even more confusing as XP and Nokta are poised to release their takes on SMF shortly, with the Deus II and Legend.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The only difference between Multi-IQ and Multi-Flex that matters is that in real world use Multi-Flex is falling short as a genuine challenger. But frankly, it was never my expectation given the Apex placement as an Ace series detector. The performance matches the category and the price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captorofsin said:

I will be mostly hunting beaches, parks, and playgrounds. The once in a blue moon home site.

I don't give two darns about prospecting.

With that information provided I will jump in. 

The Apex is a very nice detector. I wish its multi frequency technology was as good as its other features, build quality and ergonomics. Like Steve said, it is an Ace level detector. On salt water beaches it will do fine and its Multi Flex tech will offer advantages over it single frequency use. In mild to high iron mineralization I found its Multi Flex technology to offer little or no advantage over single frequency use as far as overall depth, target ID accuracy or ground condition stability in higher iron mineralization. 

The Vanquish build quality is definitely not equal to that of the Apex and it is limited to multi frequency operation only while also not having a user ground balance option . Its Multi IQ technology is far superior to Multi Flex however. Multi IQ will offer obvious depth and target identification capabilities over the Apex in mild to high iron mineralization even with it being limited to internal fixed range ground balance limitations. So, it is an extremely accurate and deep detector for its price.

Personally, for an iron trashed home site or cellar hole I would pick the Apex. For the other detecting scenarios you noted, I would pick the Vanquish 440 or 540 every time.

• Like 2

Quote:"It looks to me like the Apex and the Vanquish are pretty much in the same category"

I don't think so. The Vanquish series all use the same technology & frequencies as the Equinox in 'Beach' mode, so they deliver raw performance comparable to the Eqx, just without most of the adjustability options.
  • Like 1