Detecting In Really Cold Weather

Temps that are really below freezing I won't dig as I think it could damage the electronics especially the built in batteries and lcd screens.

For frozen ground usually woods hunting there may be just a little top ground frozen but if there is just a lot of snow then it is pointless as all your depth is given up to the snow itself. Beach hunting I am generally limited to the tide line and cuts at low.

• Like 4

My rule is snow = No, Deep frozen ground = No. If it's just cold 35/45 degree's I rubber band a hand warmer to my control unit and give it a go, Just be careful of hitting your coil on something hard. Most times out in the cold are just not fun so I use my time to catalog coins and data created in the warmer month's. Detecting in the cold is really not worth the effort even if I know something good lurks in my future, I'll wait till spring.

• Like 5

I have Raynaud's syndrome in my hands and feet, but I'll go out down to about 34 degrees. I use either Milwaukee or Craftsman insulated nitrile gloves:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-X-Large-Red-Latex-Level-3-Cut-Resistant-Insulated-Winter-Dipped-Work-Gloves-48-22-8923/306812013

The Milwaukee gloves also come in black, so if it's a sunny day they stay warm. I also keep a pair of these in my truck, they generate EMI so we I can't hold the detector with them but they heat my hands up fast and last all day on the lowest heat setting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09F2MQTFN 

I also have heated socks but usually my feet are ok in boots with thick wool socks. Raynaud's is awful. Didn't know I had it until I was in my 40s, I thought everyone had the same problem. 😵

• Like 6

Handwarmers don't get too hot to warp the plastic? I could see how rubber banding one to your unit would keep you warm though.

• Like 3

350 looks like were brother's from another mother. I to have the Raynaud's not so bad though. Usually my index and middle finger on my left hand and oddly my knee caps. I hate loosing feeling in my middle finger Ha Ha. Usually starts right around November/December but sometimes earlier. Mine started when I turned 43. Heated anything really doesn't help me, seems like I just have to relax for it to go away.

• Like 3

DSC01980[1].JPG

DSC01982[1].JPG

20220106_144530.jpg

• Like 6

Did that, Got tired of That, Gave into AK. in summers lower forty 48 in winter, always swinging somewhere...

• Like 1

Did end up detecting a bit of Shiny out of thawed ground under rock. 

• Like 1