Detecting In Really Cold Weather

I have Raynaud's Syndrome too. If I'm out playing in the snow I need hand warmers in my gloves and boots too. For me in northern Michigan, I'm all snowed and and lakes are frozen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogodog said:

350 looks like were brother's from another mother. I to have the Raynaud's not so bad though. Usually my index and middle finger on my left hand and oddly my knee caps. I hate loosing feeling in my middle finger Ha Ha. Usually starts right around November/December but sometimes earlier. Mine started when I turned 43. Heated anything really doesn't help me, seems like I just have to relax for it to go away.

I believe it, Dogodog.

For me it's all fingers and toes. My wife just has it in her nose. 😀 I've had it all my life, I remember almost going crazy on a camping trip because I couldn't keep my feet warm when I was young.

Only got a sure diagnosis a few years ago. The pain when they freeze and then warm up is unbelievable. Used to get it all the time winterizing my boat.

I find that a calcium channel blocker I take now and again will help a little. I could get a stronger one but most heart/vascular stuff makes me feel like crap.

Check those Milwaukee Nitrile gloves out! I also get the "cut level 1" thin ones for the summer, they last longer digging and rubbing off finds than the Craftsman gloves 😀

• Like 3

Mine started when I was 16. My fingers and toes will turn white. Doesn't hurt though warming up.

• Like 1

Joe, what is the dry suit that you use?

In the summer I use a short sleeve wet suit top and separate pants. Dry suits are expensive. I might get neoprene waders so I can go out more in the spring and fall.

On 1/8/2022 at 9:58 PM, Rick N. MI said:

Joe, what is the dry suit that you use?

In the summer I use a short sleeve wet suit top and separate pants. Dry suits are expensive. I might get neoprene waders so I can go out more in the spring and fall.

I use a Bare Nex Gen Rear zipper with Si Tech drygloves, honestly It took me several years and tries to get to where I am now. I've got fairly skilled at repairing also and that has made a big difference, I can do just about all, replace boot's, zippers and seals.  If you need information I can send it to your email. I think the neoprene waders are a good idea, just be careful. Your going to need some  good wool gloves and clammer gloves. Also I might recommend a good neoprene hood.

InkedOBN-0000 (6)_LI.jpg

20.jpg

• Like 9

I got a cure for all your all's winter woes, and expensive equipment! A winter home down my way, or a permanent move! 75 today! 🏖😁👍👍

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Electronics is not likely to be damaged simply by operating it cold weather, but as Steve noted, performance might take a hit.   One thing you should never do is attempt to charge Li Ion batteries when ambient temps are below freezing (discharging via normal use is fine) That will almost certainly result in damage to the battery electrolyte chemistry and will permanently reduce capacity and usable lifetime.

I've detected frozen ground where we picked out frozen balls of dirt containing a target and threw them next to a fire pit we had set up so they could thaw.  It's really not worth the work and frustration unless for some reason that day happens to be your only chance to access a desirable site.

Really surprised how frozen damp beach sand becomes impossible to scoop or even dig in.

20190203_122241.thumb.jpg.43081597dddc8a862f3008d88aac1528.jpg20190203_143557.thumb.jpg.b814018c024f371641bf14e7bac0413c.jpg20190203_122433.thumb.jpg.b3f747d464a1e0c40fa938b6694eed67.jpg20190203_122154.thumb.jpg.0b8c202d8b3a4147eeecc28f0abb9fe9.jpg20190203_122147.thumb.jpg.7f06ed6bb0d0b929202a31a456c27105.jpg

Now I know who has been digging all the gold at sandy point..😲....it did not know you hunted the bay? Took me a second pass to see the Bay bridge, then that nasty sandy point sand. Let me know if you get the Deus ll, I would love to see it in action..maybe even find a few targets for you to check..

When was your pictures taken? That place froze up in 2015 and it was like the golden gates opened up. I got like 30 gold from the North beach, only a few from the south beach. The pictures above ..me in my drysuit was from 2015..

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Winter is my favorite time to detect here in coastal NH. Open ground freezes solid but the woods are always diggable. Two or three inches of snow really helps when gridding an area. I dug a colonial copper and large cent just last week. When the snow gets too deep, we hit the beaches.

I have Reynaud's but can usually get by with ski mittens. I have to take one off to push buttons or pick up a find but that doesn't take long. I use handwarmers sometimes if it's well below freezing. The best way to stay warm is wear lots of layers and a good winter hat. For extreme cold, I add a fleece neck warmer. A lot of heat escapes through your neck.

• Like 3