Detecting In Really Cold Weather

WOOL  is GOLD in the COLD

Some areas in the woods Badger ? I'll have to check out back , She's pretty solid downtah the shore  'sept for the beach , no icebergs ,,,yet.  That below zero crap later this week might change that some......

JoeD

Wish I could . Staying up here with 97yo mom till she's gone....

I know the southern trails well though , I'll be back !

I'll pick up OBN on the way down and we'll set up camp in your yard . OK ?😜

So , how close to Vero are you ??????🤨

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I was out today in the water, maybe 2.5 hours..Airtemp was 28, no wind chill and water was 40.3. Warm most of the hunt with water just below my chest, did notice one of my little finger getting chilled. Have full thermo's under a drysuit and glove setup, with 5mm hood. I like the fresh air and the challenge. Younger I could do the 35 degree water but I'm not sure now that I'm going to be 70 soon, hard to believe. One thing for sure, I love having Hot food waiting for me when I get home.

I spent years doing this, but no more!

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/190-ice-cold-gold-dredging-at-crow-creek-alaska/

steve-herschbach-gold-dredge-crow-creek-1996.jpg
steve-herschbach-drysuit-gold-dredge-crow-creek-1996.jpg

steve-herschbach-drysuit-in-water-gold-dredge-crow-creek-1996.jpg

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 3

Looks like your wearing a wet suit. Cold when you first get in? That looks cool doing that lol. I don't think I would have ever done that. Good job. Did you get any gold?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

Looks like your wearing a wet suit. Cold when you first get in? That looks cool doing that lol. I don't think I would have ever done that. Good job. Did you get any gold?

Looks like it has a rear zipper so it could be a semi-drysuit. One thing for sure too cold for me dressed like that.. If I get cold at all I leave. And since my accident last year I'm less enthused  about going out in the cold..

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Now I know who has been digging all the gold at sandy point..😲....it did not know you hunted the bay? Took me a second pass to see the Bay bridge, then that nasty sandy point sand. Let me know if you get the Deus ll, I would love to see it in action..maybe even find a few targets for you to check..

When was your pictures taken? That place froze up in 2015 and it was like the golden gates opened up. I got like 30 gold from the North beach, only a few from the south beach. The pictures above ..me in my drysuit was from 2015..

Joe,

Yeah.  Gold at Sandy Point - that's funny.  Seems to be less and less replenished every year, it certainly is not me cleaning it up.  I don't work the bay much.  Not a hardcore water hunter but I do putz around Sandy Point or Coin Beach from time to time just to get out, otherwise, I hit the beaches hard on my vacations.   Pic was taken in January 2019, I believe,  bored out of my skull and the air temp had risen into the high 30's low 40's so I decided to take a drive.  The visual scenery was worth more than anything I recovered there that day.  Found a couple small gold items including the locket shown.  But anything above the water line was like asphalt.  Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, the Carolinas, West Virginia and Pennsylvania relic hunting is my wheelhouse. But if you ever need a buddy backup at one of your bay outings (in warm weather), look me up (send me a PM).  Lol.

Chase

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

Those are just blue jeans, Steve is much more rugged than you guys give him credit for 🙂

• Haha 4

Damn, you popsicle water divers are hardcore! I'll hunt the Colorado snow if it's above 35° outside and just bring the frozen target balls home to thaw while I sit by the fire, but I'm not getting near water that cold! 😄

• Like 2

I guess I'll need to move to warmer hunting grounds, the winter md blues are setting in.... Thank you Steve for all your great insights and everyone's replies!

What a great forum!

• Like 1

Was that a smile on your face or just a frozen grimace  ? 

If that was here the ground would have been rock solid ! (unless it's over a septic tank ) But pinpointing would probably work , and a can of spray paint might leave a mark you could dig next spring ! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2