SDC Not Working As Water Detector, Get A Nox?

c47gold

They have made no attempt so far, its been on the market about 4 years now and new ones still have the same failures as the very first ones.  I think the percentage of failures is what they consider acceptable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Having owned two 800's, I personally wouldn't use it for submersion hunting, other than below the control pod, for any length of time! My first one failed (Pod), and was replaced under warranty! Also broken coil tabs on three coils, also replaced under warranty! JMO

As was said previously, if you are in no hurry, either watch what the Deus 2 (5 year warranty), an NM Legend (3 year warranty), can do, or fails to do well! (big price difference also)!

There's also the Tarsacci detector, which many like! Or just buy another dedicated water detector with a proven record! Good luck, with whatever you decide!!🍀👍👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's a old excalibur. They changed to the black coil cable in 1999 if I remember correct. So I am guessing that is a 1998 model.

If your hunting "IN" the ocean I'm not sure if I would recommend the Nox, the ocean can be deadly. The Deus ll maybe have the same issues with being beat up... but it has an amazing 5 year warranty and looks hardier? Time will tell on that..... Now if your hunting bay side in VB the Nox or D2 will serve you well. 

• Like 2

Yes, It is an old Excalibur and I loved it's simplicity and durability. It could take a beating in the ocean and lakes, and once you know the tones of different targets, you don't need a screen ID to tell you what's down there. I have always hunted in the ocean up to my chest sometimes, and I would just get another Excalibur but swinging around 5+ lbs. has finally gotten tiresome. I would be getting the Equinox but now this leakage problem bothers me, and after looking at the Deus 2 videos and reviews, I'm starting to lean that way! Thanks for the input from all of you guys!

• Like 2

Has the Equinox 600 had the same leak problems as the 800?

Yes it appears so, they're the same control pod housing just with a different touch pad. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were also the same Pcb to keep manufacturing costs down, just running a different firmware. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This might be a dumb question, but has anyone heard of a waterproof cover for the Equinox pod to keep water leaking in?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, c47gold said:

This might be a dumb question, but has anyone heard of a waterproof cover for the Equinox pod to keep water leaking in?

Not a dumb question c47, and it has been asked before!

I actually bought one out of the Ukraine, from Ebay a few years back, that was made of silicone! But it disappeared rather quickly, and i never saw them listed again! One piece went over the battery compartment in the handle, and the other fit over the pod! The only problem was you were unable to see the screen through it, and heat buildup was also a possible side effect!

Much better to just have a detector designed to actually withstand water ingress, rather than trying to use a bandaid fix on one whose claim is on shakey ground, but otherwise a darn good detector!!👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm trying to zero in on the water leakage problem of the Equinox 800. I read that Steve said just about all the water detectors rated at 10 ft. are going to leak. Do you all think that is because people took it deeper and it couldn't hold up under the increased water pressure? Minelab does warns that it is safe to use only under 10 ft. If the 800 leak problems are mostly in deeper water, then that's fine with me, and I would get it, since I only go in lakes or the ocean no deeper than up to my chest. What do you guys think?

I think you've little to worry about, you've got a 3 year warranty anyway, if it leaks they'll replace it.  If you're only going up to your chest it's very unlikely to leak.

You will never know how many people exceed the depth limitations of it, they're not going to say as they want it replaced under warranty.  The problem with detectors with a depth of 10 feet, it's very easy to accidentally go over that depth, 20 feet would have been better, then unless you're using dive gear you're unlikely to exceed its depth.  As Minelab have no way of knowing while the detector is under warranty people can take it whatever depth they want, and they will knowing it will be replaced with a new one anyway.

I also think it's less likely to leak in a freshwater lake than in the ocean, salt water is nasty stuff at the best of times, and wave action wouldn't help either.

• Like 1