SDC Not Working As Water Detector, Get A Nox?

c47gold

3 hours ago, c47gold said:

If the 800 leak problems are mostly in deeper water, then that's fine with me, and I would get it, since I only go in lakes or the ocean no deeper than up to my chest. What do you guys think?

Mine got water in the case from showering it off. 

Yikes!

1 hour ago, c47gold said:

Yikes!

Listen to phrunt and not necessarily the one-off horror stories.  For each one of those, I can point you to many people who have submerged it regularly for 3 years without an issue.  I can also point you to a few who have had replacements leak.  So...will it Leak?  Maybe.  Are you covered under warranty for 3 years and will ML honor that warranty without question?  Yes.

If you are uncomfortable with that, you might want to consider the forthcoming  Nokta Legend,  which also offers a similar depth rating and 3-year warranty to Nox but without a performance or submerged mechanical build track record (though the precursor design Simplex appeared to hold up well, but also with some reported water intrusion events.  Hard to gage from anecdotes though whether the Simplex watertight design is superior to the Nox since Simplex being a single frequency detector was not as popular as the Nox for saltwater use).

The just released Deus 2 is dive rated to 60 feet and there have been numerous videos demonstrating it's ability to operate successfully at depth.

The Tarsacci MDT gets good reviews from a small but loyal following of beach hunters for its salt performance and watertight build (realistically spec'd to 30 min submergence at 1.5 meters IP67 rated).  It comes with an 18 mo. Warranty and personalized support from the designer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, c47gold said:

Yikes!

Can I ask You if You use a straight shaft or the original one by Minelab?

Cause more than the Excalibur weight or its water resistance when submerged there's only the horror shaft to stress the user arm.

Being a diver, I'm now in the process to buy another machine just cause I'm tired by my setup and with 4 detectors I still can't find the one to do the job as I want.

Let's do the equation togheter, based on today owned tools:

Excalibur 2....Nothing to say for depth rating and leaks, sure...

/Downside... blind on thin stuff and chains.

Ctx3030...Good for thin stuff, good discriminator

/Downside.... Heavy, screen at 10ft. wants to crash, not to mention 3 lithium batteries already drowned, less deep than a Nox 800 compared by 11"coils. Outdated 

Detectorpro Underwater...A machine i bought three weeks ago...i love it, light, with an 8" coil, pretty deep...Only one clear tone so a dig it all cheap mule...

/Downside...it lasted 20 minutes before lower shaft crashed on a rock hit...for the price of a pinpointer i can't cry for this.

Tdi Beachunter...Deep, light on the dry and wet...

/Downside--it leaks and die in few sessions at scarce 10ft down, unstable as crazy! A noisemaker when in water unless You turn up delay at 20uS min....it floats like a gas balloon. So i have a tdi SL in a yellow semi/wetsuit.

Conclusion:

i need frequency control, salt sensitivity manual control cause i have real saltwater in my area and this for sure doesn't allow for high frequencies without filters.

Stable and large ID scale, not that the screen means something special to me, but cause of a digital machine, why not to check both audio and numbers if they are there?

A fuc...ng straight shaft with no S handle in 2022.

A multiple choice of a manual modified mono or multi frequency mode.

No buoyancy of any kind. 

Will be the Deus 2 the answer?.............For the God sake.......................... Maybe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skullgolddiver said:

Can I ask You if You use a straight shaft or the original one by Minelab?

ME? 

I use a custom straight shaft that does not use the detector as a grip. My surf is real rough and I would rip all those screws out in a year [or less].

IMG_0814.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, c47gold said:

Yikes!

Yes, yikes.

It is winter, and I would wait to see how the Deus2 shakes out. If light weight is a concern for you the D-2 checks that box.  I am in Mexico working beaches until the end of April. I should have a D-2 in under two weeks. 

Right now I have everything to test it on EMI, Nasty Black sand, Rough Surf, and even normal beach.  I will know if that detector will hold ANY SALT...........SOON!   [pun intended] 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, midalake said:

ME? 

I use a custom straight shaft that does not use the detector as a grip. My surf is real rough and I would rip all those screws out in a year [or less].

IMG_0814.JPG

Rough surf at waist to chest height would be my main concern with the Deus 2 setup.  Diving no problem.  Shoulder deep and beyond the break, no problem. Ankle deep, no problem.

1 hour ago, midalake said:

I use a custom straight shaft

Can You believe me if I Say that I'm in trouble for a damn handbar handle?

I bought a couple of bike extensions with a bolt under, but the handle itself Is disconnected from the base and it need to be modified as well.

I'm going Crazy for an Anderson handle that seems to be not available unless You buy the entire shaft😑

Yeah, I always used the original shaft on the Excalibur which worked fine for me in rough ocean waters. It's true that the Excalibur didn't pick up thin stuff very well but I found some nice gold rings! As I get older though, I like the idea of a lighter, all purpose detector, if it's good in the water. I'm guessing that Minelab will replace the 800 with a deeper diving machine and just charge a bunch more, so If the Legend proves to do all that the Equinox 800 can do and is more waterproof, that would be great for me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, c47gold said:

but I found some nice gold rings

I know...Rings for the Excal are like cookies 🤣.

Only for the fact of the unavailable 8"coil, my second one was bought with a 10"😤.I miss the little lady.

9 minutes ago, c47gold said:

I'm guessing that Minelab will replace the 800 with a deeper diving machine and just charge a bunch more

Maybe, in 2044...We'll see?😂 I'm still waiting for the Excal 3 since 2012.

12 minutes ago, c47gold said:

If the Legend proves to do all that the Equinox 800 can do and is more waterproof, that would be great for me. 

Time will tell if the Nokta or the XP can replace the Nox, but for now the only thing to do is to wait and sell the old stuff for a new trip.

Good luck

• Thanks 1