Gold And Aluminum

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/11/2022 at 9:20 PM, Skullgolddiver said:

those finds are usually not "friends".

Does it mean that if I’m finding lots of pull tabs on a beach I should be happy that the machine works, but I’m in the wrong spot, more or less? 🙂

8 minutes ago, mcjtom said:

Does it mean that if I’m finding lots of pull tabs on a beach I should be happy that the machine works, but I’m in the wrong spot, more or less? 🙂

Are the pull tabs old style or the modern ones? Are they deep?  Are you finding nickels, sinkers and other heavy objects with them? If all you are finding is light weight objects, then yes you are in the wrong place..... unless you find gold, then you are in the right place 😄 Don't be afraid of wandering around until you hit some targets that you like.

• Like 5

On 1/27/2022 at 8:07 AM, mcjtom said:

Not necessarily, if you're in a spot where people were drinking, they were also losing stuff. 🙂 Relic hunting has a similar issue, when you come upon a lot of iron you don't particularly want to discriminate iron. At that point you're in the thick of it and can expect some good finds.

From my limited experience on the beach thus far you will find more pull tabs above the high tide line for sure, but I've also found rings there. One in particular (silver with CZ's) was the same ID as a pull tab. I've dug watches and cell phones above the high tide line as well. I think some call it the "towel line".

In short, you are going to dig crap on a beach no matter what if you want anything good. After a while of digging in any particular area you get some learned responses to ID's, but even they can fool you. It doesn't cost you to dig, and if it does, try digging more efficiently. 🙂

• Like 3

On 1/27/2022 at 2:07 PM, mcjtom said:

You'll never know until You have proof of It.

Try to act in this way to intercept for weight instead of metal type.

After the pulltab, do a circle around the hole moving the coil tightly.

No signals?, Do another larger circle and keep trace of the coil path dragging the shovel/scoop/spade You use.

Generally, You can find heavier stuff down on the slope, under the pulltab hole.

On the other hand on a flat ground this can happen on the other side, far on the upper side of It.

As an example, a new hump, after an erosion period Is higher than the previous level of sand.

This mean that the lower level Is now on the upper side of the beach, towards the dry.

In any case, I'll fly away for other spots soon as I can when this happen.

Always check for firm ground under your feets.

Try to keep your focus on targets and ground status.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1