My Initial Impressions Of The XP Deus II As Compared To The Equinox 800

25 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If you really like watching screens, their are definitely better options. Frankly, they need a mode that displays just the target id number, nothing else, and have it fill the screen. Too much to ask? Should be able to do in software since it’s a programmable screen, but I’ll not hold my breath.

The bigger issue for me is making changes to the program tone breaks and tone pitch. I usually have to grab glasses to see those small number on the Deus 1.

• Like 3

Thank you Loren for your very detailed Deus 2 first impressions. I am assuming that you have little or no experience with Deus 1.  The first time I put a Deus 1 together after freaking out over getting everything charged (did I have the butterfly clip on correctly and was everything really charging???) I was just glad I didn't break anything. After many years and charging cycles I only broke two butterfly clips (one was used when I obtained it) and besides the little rubber doors covering the charging port and headphone jack on the remote controls of Deus 1 and the ORX always popping open while detecting and distracting me.....I never had any problems. 

So, the wobble you are mentioning is a new one for me. I only noticed a bit of shaft wobble when the Deus 1 middle shaft's clamp began to wear out.

As far as the ergonomics and layout of the new Deus 2 remote control and WS6, in my opinion, any changes that were made from Deus 1 to Deus 2 can only be deemed improvements. Deus 1's remote control for me was a nightmare to navigate both in visibility, menu/screen organization and the button presses needed to navigate them along with just the way the buttons felt......  The whole control pod experience for me was just way too busy and over engineered.

As you noted, the Equinox user interface and control pod buttons, size and layout are excellent except for there not being a forward/back button. To hear you give the Equinox the nod for basic controls both tactile and visual and for menu organization if you have no Deus 1 experience is for me anyway a little disappointing.

I have one on order. Whether I will eventually keep the remote control or just sell it and keep the WS6 will depend on if I can come to terms with the ergonomics and menu layout of the RC. Since I won't be doing any diving the WS6 with its larger screen compared to the original WS4 may be enough for me in the long run.

I look forward to the rest of your reviews.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, palzynski said:

Up to now there have been in this forum more positive ( calabash , g. blackwell and a few others ) than negative things about the D2 vs the Equinox 

I tend to nitpick things 😄 So far, the Deus II is looking like a great detector. 

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

that while in a detecting situation you could step from one mode to its next door neighbor with one press of a button.  Is that not the case?

As of the moment it only requires a single press to move in either direction through the list of programs. Which I think is nice for testing, but me personally, I would benefit more from having those available to readily adjust sensitivity (especially with a multifrequency detector which in my experience requires to you constantly be adjusting the sensitivity).

It is true that modifications to the default programs are lost when you turn them off, which I don't personally like. Especially since I want to change most every mode to Full Tones with Square Audio, and I have already had to change those settings back multiple times.

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Slightly off-topic:  I've wondered how likely it is for a detector to be programmed such that users can change the interface (obviously with restrictions)! 

Either they would have to open source the frontend of the detector so modders could develop custom interfaces (think WinAmp skins if anybody remembers those), or they would have to have an onboard editor, which would seem very problematic from a development standpoint. I really like the idea of being able to edit the display though.

1 hour ago, Sandheron said:

The dealers are sending out new self tapping screws to people with excessive 'wobbles'.

Mine isn't excessive, but it doesn't exactly feel like it's of high quality. It's among the weakest design aspect of the detector shaft if you ask me.

1 hour ago, abenson said:

I'm getting older and my eye sight isn't what it used to be so the bigger display of the Equinox has always been a plus.

I am 33 and my eyesight is total trash from staring at a computer screen for 12 hours a day since age 4. Most of the information being displayed on the Deus II is so small, I can't really see it well at a glance. 

1 hour ago, abenson said:

On the original Deus they were a real pain to access with gloves on and although the buttons have been redesigned on the Deus 2 it still sounds like there are issues with the ergonomics of pressing them.

The Equinox wins in terms of buttons still, if you ask me. If it's going to take 3 button presses to change the zoom setting on the XY screen, I want to be able to memorize the sequence and just rapidly enter it. Without feedback it slows me down considerably. But to be fair I do have more experience with the Equinox so I will be interested to see how that changes over time.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The D2 costs 50% more than a Equinox 800, twice what the 600 sells for, and I don’t care what anyone says, won’t find 50% more and better targets. The over $1000 detector category is now very much the realm of the premium user.

I couldn't agree more. When somebody asks the age old question of "Which detector should I buy?", people are still going to reply with the Equinox because it's price to performance ratio is better than the Deus II.

54 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Frankly, they need a mode that displays just the target id number, nothing else, and have it fill the screen.

XP should get on this right now. I do think it's possible XP will introduce some new display modes ( at least their promise of a sound sample library bodes well for future developments).

56 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

And yes, this is an older demographic. Make the target id as large as possible.

It also benefits young people who want to make Youtube videos 😄 But that is why I give the Equinox 800 the edge in readability.

22 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I am assuming that you have little or no experience with Deus 1.

That is correct. I was actually researching and learning the Deus 1 in preparation of buying it for this season, but the Deus II was announced, so I figured I would just get that.

Oh, something I didn't mention, is that the first time I undid the clamp on the shaft, I pinched my finger so bad it drew blood. I swear I remember reading something about that happening to others in the past too. I didn't mention it because I was rather hasty and excited to get it set up 😄 So, my fault there.

25 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

To hear you give the Equinox the nod for basic controls both tactile and visual and for menu organization if you have no Deus 1 experience is for me anyway a little disappointing.

I have read that the Deus II is a massive leap forward in terms of user interface over the Deus I, but to me, the UI and display experience is still better on the Equinox 800. This opinion could definitely change over time, once I have more field experience with it.

28 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I look forward to the rest of your reviews.

Thank you!

6 hours ago, Loren said:

... Overall I am very excited for the ground to unfreeze so I can use it in the wild. I did some air testing to learn target IDs and fiddle around with features, but I will reserve my judgement on it's performance until I try it on some real targets.

Yes at least 20/30 hours in the field is the minimum to have a first good idea of a detector . I would say 50 hours with the Deus2 which is a sophisticated detector with multiple settings and modes.  I would say rather 150/200 hours if you want to test all the D2 kinds of hunting beach hunting , diving , gold prospecting and inland coin/relic hunting 

I dont know your MD experience ,how long you have been detecting and with which machines , but the field is by far the most important criteria for evaluating a detector

I remember having spent around 80/100 hours with the Eq800 to fully master/understand the machine , this just for inland coin/relic hunting.  This despite my 20+ years MD experience ...   It takes time to learn detectors , just like with music instruments ...

Looking fwd for your feedbacks 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, palzynski said:

I dont know your MD experience ,how long you have been detecting and with which detectors , but the field is by far the most important criteria for evaluating a detector

This is only intended to be an initial impression, and none of these opinions are set in stone. I definitely expect my opinion will change on several items I have discussed.

I used the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV as a kid for basically my entire childhood, but it was mostly just me playing with it without any external resources for learning and improving. Most recently I have at least 1,000 hours on the Equinox 800. I am a very obsessive person when it comes to my hobbies and have metal detected almost everyday for the past few years. It's become an essential aspect of my daily routine. I like to start my work days with exercise, so I usually start every weekday with a detecting session (or some frisbeegolf :D).

But it is fair to say there are large gaps in my experience, e.g. I have no prospecting experience because there simply isn't any gold around here. 

Still, feedback from all skill levels of detectorists has value and I'd like to think I might pick up on some things that the current crowd might gloss over.

• Like 2

Thank you Loren, your first impressions report of the Deus II is especially valuable to someone like me who has never used a Deus. This is the kind of information you usually don't hear from other reviews as they are made by people familiar with XP detectors. I think you provided useful information that a non-Deus user should be aware of. It doesn't prevent me from considering purchasing the D2, but gives me real user information, often overlooked, to temper my excitement from all the hype and ground my expectations in reality. I intend to keep my Equinox regardless of my decision to aquire a Deus II as that will be another learning curve to surpass. I don't buy into the one detector theory and see the D2 as another great tool to learn. I appreciate your unique perspectives.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loren said:

I used the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV as a kid for basically my entire childhood, but it was mostly just me playing with it without any external resources for learning and improving. Most recently I have at least 1,000 hours on the Equinox 800. ....

But it is fair to say there are large gaps in my experience, e.g. I have no prospecting experience because there simply isn't any gold around here. 

Still, feedback from all skill levels of detectorists has value and I'd like to think I might pick up on some things that the current crowd might gloss over.

I forgot to ask you if you are a coin/relic hunter or a beach hunter ...  Anyway if I had an advice it would be to take the time to learn the D2 because the XPs and the MLs ( Equinox ,Vanquish .. )  are very different beasts , and you will probably need a few months before learning/mastering the D2 PWM audio which is very different from the Equinox audio as you will see ..

btw I am not a nugget hunter too , no gold around here and I am also too far from the sea  ... Just a coin/relic hunter ...

HH

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Loren said:

I think you are correct. People are saying the Deus II will kill the Equinox aren't considering the price. The Equinox 800 is still very well positioned in the market if you ask me and Minelab isn't under any pressure to rush an Equinox 1000 to market. 

I am excited to see the results in the field.

I couldn't agree more!  Given the price difference between the EQX (800 or 600) and the D2, the EQX still has a solid market space with a proven AT platform.  While not perfect, the price to performance ration positions it as a top notch performer at most things it does priced as an upper mid-range unit.  Unless XP price matches,  there will be plenty of room for the two units to co-exist, rest assured Minelab is far from any kind of panic.

Personally I don't expect to see anything new [in regards to new SMF/MIQ units] announced from Minelab until Detectival 2023.  The Equinox continues to sell like hot cakes, just about any detecting group or forum I watch, if a newie comes aboard asking what detector to buy the overall response is always either a Simplex or if they can spend more, an Equinox that's recommended more so than any other unit.

• Like 2