My Initial Impressions Of The XP Deus II As Compared To The Equinox 800

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

People on this forum tend to overlook price, but in the real world it matters a lot. The D2 costs 50% more than a Equinox 800, twice what the 600 sells for, and I don’t care what anyone says, won’t find 50% more and better targets. The over $1000 detector category is now very much the realm of the premium user. So while I am sure XP will do well with the D2, got one coming myself, it’s not like it’s going to knock Equinox off the top seller charts at most dealerships.

It goes without saying the XPs feel better on the arm. But I really hated the buttons on the original Deus, as I wear gloves, and those tiny indented buttons suck. Dirt embeds in, you need a toothpick to gouge it out. The new ones have to be better. But yeah, screen, buttons, etc. D2 still won’t win any prizes. But the idea is get set up, hunt by ear. No adjusting, and no need to be eyeballing screen constantly except when learning the machine. If you really like watching screens, their are definitely better options. Frankly, they need a mode that displays just the target id number, nothing else, and have it fill the screen. Too much to ask? Should be able to do in software since it’s a programmable screen, but I’ll not hold my breath.

Detector designers do some really dumb stuff. Like volume level wasting space on screen. Hello, I’m listening to the detector, I know what the volume level is. It simply needs to go up or down, with and “end of range beep” at each end. No need to waste screen space with that or half the other junk they display. And yes, this is an older demographic. Make the target id as large as possible. I swear, there is little to no common sense in this industry.

Most people on this forum are what I'd consider "advanced" treasure hunters, successfully detecting for a number of years and already having tried and masted multiple detectors.  To the point that we look for the next new thing to take our treasure hunting activities to the next level, go deeper, faster, lighter, more feature rich, etc., in hopes that this new mouse trap might refresh our worked out sites and increase productivity at new sites.  For that we are willing to pay a premium. 

The average detectorists does not take things to the level that the majority of advanced users do that frequent this forum.    For example, one weekend years ago I was at a local reservoir that due to drought conditions had revealed the foundations of a ghost town that had been underwater.  I ran into a half dozen other people detecting around the area when I visited it, and out of those six people four had low end (Bounty Hunters/Radio Shack specials) and were perfectly happy digging cans and other large surface junk, one other had a mid-range machine, and another hunter with a higher end unit.  Out of that sample set of buyers one in six *might* even have the potential to take things and scrutinize new detecting technology to the degree that most do here.  

I don't understand how in this day and age they can execute a poorly designed UI and display.  Yes we mostly hunt by tones, but still I don't need to see banners scrolling across my display and tiny numbers at the cost of squeezing in [mostly] useless information.  I agree they should all have a usability option to enhance the display, especially considering a good portion of their consumers likely have less than optimal vision.  Also burying simple settings in menus these days is a no-go in my opinion.  And seriously the D2 has to use two separate buttons to perform a pinpoint?  Why can't they all just put a frickin trigger switch on their machines and call it a day with that as a de-facto pinpoint standard?  I continue to see companies blunder such a simple things as a pinpoint button.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

.....  The Equinox continues to sell like hot cakes, just about any detecting group or forum I watch, if a newie comes aboard asking what detector to buy the overall response is always either a Simplex or if they can spend more, an Equinox that's recommended more so than any other unit. ....

It depends where you are ...  Over here in France and probably in Europe the overall response will be a Deus for inland hunting . Over here the Equinox is rather considered as a beach detector and very few people use it for inland coin/relic hunting ... 

Not because it is a poor machine , but just because it is outperformed by the XPs in the irons , and we have tons of irons over here 🙂 . Also because it is much more cumfortable to sweep weighing  0.75kg compared to 1.3kg for an Equinox ...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

People on this forum tend to overlook price, but in the real world it matters a lot. The D2 costs 50% more than a Equinox 800, twice what the 600 sells for, and I don’t care what anyone says, won’t find 50% more and better targets. The over $1000 detector category is now very much the realm of the premium user. So while I am sure XP will do well with the D2, got one coming myself, it’s not like it’s going to knock Equinox off the top seller charts at most dealerships.

It goes without saying the XPs feel better on the arm. But I really hated the buttons on the original Deus, as I wear gloves, and those tiny indented buttons suck. Dirt embeds in, you need a toothpick to gouge it out. The new ones have to be better. But yeah, screen, buttons, etc. D2 still won’t win any prizes. But the idea is get set up, hunt by ear. No adjusting, and no need to be eyeballing screen constantly except when learning the machine. If you really like watching screens, their are definitely better options. Frankly, they need a mode that displays just the target id number, nothing else, and have it fill the screen. Too much to ask? Should be able to do in software since it’s a programmable screen, but I’ll not hold my breath.

Detector designers do some really dumb stuff. Like volume level wasting space on screen. Hello, I’m listening to the detector, I know what the volume level is. It simply needs to go up or down, with and “end of range beep” at each end. No need to waste screen space with that or half the other junk they display. And yes, this is an older demographic. Make the target id as large as possible. I swear, there is little to no common sense in this industry.

No Steve that is not entirely true...It will most definitely find 100% more and better targets if they are 10 ft or deeper...

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

And seriously the D2 has to use two separate buttons to perform a pinpoint?  Why can't they all just put a frickin trigger switch on their machines and call it a day with that as a de-facto pinpoint standard?  I continue to see companies blunder such a simple things as a pinpoint button.

Are you referring to a pinpoint switch as is on the Teknetics T2 and Fisher F75?  I really like that, too, but I assume it's not so good for underwater detecting.  Do you not like the ML Equinox pinpoint button location and functionality?  (I'm not talking about the pinpoint function electronics and software but rather its ease of activation/deactivation.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Are you referring to a pinpoint switch as is on the Teknetics T2 and Fisher F75?  I really like that, too, but I assume it's not so good for underwater detecting.  Do you not like the ML Equinox pinpoint button location and functionality?  (I'm not talking about the pinpoint function electronics and software but rather its ease of activation/deactivation.)

Yep and the Makro Racers also used the "trigger" switch pinpoint.  I assume we see it disappear, not because anyone that has a detector with one loves it, but because a mechanical switch like that is probably a point of failure and then toss in the demands of a waterproof unit (does anyone even make a water proof switch like the pinpoint trigger switch?). 

Pinpointing should be second nature, shouldn't have to look at anything, you should be able to pinpoint blindfolded.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, calabash digger said:

Ok you GB and pinpoint with center lower button. VERY easy press once pinpoint...press and hold GB.....You don't even have to look at it. You can also do it where you set tracking and magnetic sand on or off. It has two ways...

Thanks, good to know.   I saw a comment that the pinpoint required two different buttons (start/stop) which wouldn't make sense.

• Like 1

I like the waterproof switch on the CTX. Even more when they offered the up dated program. Push once locks in. Push a second time to release. Perfect.

• Like 2

So I'm looking at the D2 Manual (Page 25) and it doesn't really say how you get out of Pinpoint Mode. It looks like you short press the lower middle button to go to the Pinpoint Screen and it's default mode is to Auto-Tune the threshold and you can then pinpoint the target or manual re-tune the threshold to get a more accurate target location. But it looks like you have to push the top right button to exit pinpoint mode. Is that correct?

D2-Pinpoint-Mode.jpg

9 hours ago, palzynski said:

I forgot to ask you if you are a coin/relic hunter or a beach hunter

Same, I mostly hunt for coins and relics. I started learning the Equinox 800 on a good beach, but have since moved to a location where the beaches are too clean to detect.

8 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

While not perfect, the price to performance ration positions it as a top notch performer at most things it does priced as an upper mid-range unit.

Yup, I wouldn't even consider the two detectors in the same category simply because the price is so different. Equinox 800 is really a midrange SMF detector while the Deus II is a level higher in performance (so it seems so far) and price.

• Thanks 1