My Initial Impressions Of The XP Deus II As Compared To The Equinox 800

8 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Yes we mostly hunt by tones, but still I don't need to see banners scrolling across my display and tiny numbers at the cost of squeezing in [mostly] useless information. 

Yup. I want to mostly hunt by tones and have my peripheral vision aware of the screen, but with it flashing it constantly steals my attention.

8 hours ago, palzynski said:

Over here the Equinox is rather considered as a beach detector and very few people use it for inland coin/relic hunting ... 

I've honestly seen a pretty even 50:50 mix between Deus I and Equinox 800 users here in my part of Europe. Though I do think if you look at the best / most serious detectorists here then a majority swing the Deus I.

4 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I saw a comment that the pinpoint required two different buttons (start/stop) which wouldn't make sense.

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

But it looks like you have to push the top right button to exit pinpoint mode. Is that correct?

This is correct. To enter and exit pinpoint is two different buttons...

You enter pinpoint by pressing the center bottom button, then press the upper right button to exit. The center button now adjusts attenuation of the pinpoint. I tried playing around with the pinpoint's Auto Attenuation feature and manual attenuation, but my living room was so full of EMI I couldn't draw anything meaningful data from the pinpoint.

On paper I am not a fan of a different button to exit, but I will see how it plays out in the wild, if having the manual attenuate on the bottom center button proves advantageous. 

5 hours ago, calabash digger said:

VERY easy press once pinpoint...press and hold GB.....You don't even have to look at it.

I do like the quick single button access to ground balance, but at least my in locations you almost never need to change that during a hunt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Loren said:

I've honestly seen a pretty even 50:50 mix between Deus I and Equinox 800 users here in my part of Europe. Though I do think if you look at the best / most serious detectorists here then a majority swing the Deus I.

Which part of Europe are you from ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Loren said:

I think you are correct. People are saying the Deus II will kill the Equinox aren't considering the price. The Equinox 800 is still very well positioned in the market if you ask me and Minelab isn't under any pressure to rush an Equinox 1000 to market. 

I am excited to see the results in the field.

Loren, a quick question.  Are you using an aftermarket search rod on your equinox ?  Many are using a carbon fiber rod, arm cuff and counterbalance system which add a couple hundred dollars to the Equinox.   I have them on mine. They are certainly an improvement over factory search rod and cuff, but they also add to my overall equinox cost. 

Rich - 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UtahRich said:

Loren, a quick question.  Are you using an aftermarket search rod on your equinox ?  Many are using a carbon fiber rod, arm cuff and counterbalance system which add a couple hundred dollars to the Equinox.   I have them on mine. They are certainly an improvement over factory search rod and cuff, but they also add to my overall equinox cost. 

Rich - 

I use the stock shaft, but only because it breaks down nicely and fits into my backpack. I would like to use one of those carbon fiber shafts, but I can't find one that will fit into my backpack. It's actually the XP backpack, so I am excited that my Deus II will fit even better in it.

I use an electric mountain bike to navigate the Finnish forests and countryside to get to detecting locations, so it's essential to me it breaks down and fits into a backpack. I think it was @F350Platinumwho wanted to know I metal detect without car 😄 well there ya go.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Loren said:

I use the stock shaft, but only because it breaks down nicely and fits into my backpack. I would like to use one of those carbon fiber shafts, but I can't find one that will fit into my backpack. It's actually the XP backpack, so I am excited that my Deus II will fit even better in it.

I have both.  I use the carbon fiber shaft for everyday use.  If i have to travel "compact", i swap out for the factory 3 piece rod and cuff. Not as sturdy, but much better for travel. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UtahRich said:

I have both.  I use the carbon fiber shaft for everyday use.  If i have to travel "compact", i swap out for the factory 3 piece rod and cuff. Not as sturdy, but much better for travel. 

There are times I just walk out of my house to go detecting nearby and would benefit from the carbon fiber shaft, but the majority of the time I need it to fit into the backpack so I can ride to a location on by bike, so it's not worth swapping in and out all the time for me.

I would love a lighter, slightly sturdier shaft. Though I will say my Equinox 800 shaft is still rather sturdy considering how much I've swung it and smashed it into things 😄

1 hour ago, Loren said:

I use an electric mountain bike to navigate the Finnish forests and countryside to get to detecting locations, so it's essential to me it breaks down and fits into a backpack. I think it was @F350Platinumwho wanted to know I metal detect without car 😄 well there ya go.

I have a mountain bike too but I mostly use my car for MD because my detecting locations are often 15/20+ km away from home and it would take too long with my bike .  I rather use my MTB for ... biking in the countryside around home , I have great fun with my MTB ...

DSC02921.JPG

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, palzynski said:

I have a mountain bike too but I mostly use my car for MD because my detecting locations are often 15/20+ km away from home and it would take too long with my bike .  I rather use my MTB in the countryside around home , I like it ...

DSC02921.JPG

Nice bike! Ebikes are amazing. I don't even need a car anymore 🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Loren said:

Yup. I want to mostly hunt by tones and have my peripheral vision aware of the screen, but with it flashing it constantly steals my attention.

This is correct. To enter and exit pinpoint is two different buttons...

You enter pinpoint by pressing the center bottom button, then press the upper right button to exit. The center button now adjusts attenuation of the pinpoint. I tried playing around with the pinpoint's Auto Attenuation feature and manual attenuation, but my living room was so full of EMI I couldn't draw anything meaningful data from the pinpoint.

On paper I am not a fan of a different button to exit, but I will see how it plays out in the wild, if having the manual attenuate on the bottom center button proves advantageous. 

I do like the quick single button access to ground balance, but at least my in locations you almost never need to change that during a hunt.

I have to say at around 65 hours of in field use the screen changing has yet to draw my attention away in my peripheral vision. I read your first impressions and thought boy how different we are as Detectorist....Buttons I have really not even thought of them (easy to push etc) screen navigation no problems to me only thing is don't like the silencer changing and that will be changed in a future update....First impressions of opening a box that I am gonna throw in the corner in 3 minutes...

Really the comfort is a big part but I want to how it find stuff better than my other detectors.

Swinging it compared to the Nox is night and day even with the 11 inch coil on it. I guess I am so used to that heavy EXCALL and uncomfortable Nox  that I am oblivious to the strain a 2 lb detector puts on peoples arms...

I change settings 20 ft underwater with 3 mm neoprene dive gloves on with no problems maybe it because I am trained to work with thick gloves or maybe the buttons are just that easy to use....Dont know.

Anyway your post makes me realize how different we are when it comes to detector features and how they work...

BTW I use a v8 four wheel drive and a boat to get where I need to go most of the time.... If it gets real sketchy I drop in out of my helicopter and have my wife pick me up when I am done...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3