Went To The Beach

A little background:  I live in Western Pennsylvania, but love to beach metal detect.  The nearest salt water beach would be Ocean City NJ/MD, but the beaches that I prefer to detect are the beaches of South Carolina.  The only problem is that is a 700 mile drive one way.  So I try to take a week vacation from work and detect on the beaches of South Carolina when I can.  I used to have a Nox 800 but traded it in for a Tarsacci, because I prefer how the Tarsacci operates on the beach.  I find metal detecting to be very much like fishing.  The equipment you use is not the most important item.  The most important item is to be at a location where there are fish that you can catch.  Be comfortable with and know how to use your equipment, but finding the hot spot is far more important. The follow pictures are a weeks total of finds for my last three trips. Pictures 1 and 2 are from my trip for the first week of January 2022.  Pictures 3 and 4 are from my trip on the last week of August 2021.  Pictures 5 and 6 are from third week in July 2021.  All Item were found in the wet sand.  Since it's cold and snowing in Western Pennsylvania I am really looking forward to my next vacation.    

IMG_2734.jpeg

IMG_2735.jpeg

IMG_2621.jpeg

IMG_2627.jpeg

IMG_2585.jpeg

IMG_2589.jpeg

• Like 9

Great hunts. The number of lead pieces tells me you were in the right areas. Nothing better than detecting for a week straight too! Sweet looking gold! I agree, if the targets aren't there in the first place, it doesn't matter what machine you are using or how good you are. Now you get to sit back and watch other beach guys hunt 😄

• Like 2

That was a Great vacation!  I'm just south of you, even though I do hunt in the winter it will be nice to see those warmer days again.......

Also OC Md hunting during the summer can be expensive. Years ago you could really do great there but now the place is very costly to stay and the treasures are not what they use to be. So I think you made the right choice going to MB.

I loved my trips to Myrtle Beach....completely understand what you are going through. I'm from Florida (originally from Western Pa.) and a Tarsacci owner too. After enough times driving to the beach (Myrtle and Ocean City), I made my retirement move to Florida.

Good vacation finds, good luck on your next adventure.

Cliff

Thank you George, Joe, Cliff and Dancer.  I have been watching the roll out of the Deus 2 and was quite interested at first.  Then I started looking closely at the test videos and closely at the pictures of finds that I have.  A couple of observations:

1.  The beach videos for the D2 are pushing that it finds micro jewelry.  Well the pictures of my finds show the Tarsacci finds micro Jewelry. Small pendants, small open earrings and stud earrings.

2.  The Tarsacci finds pictures show a lot of heavy target, rings and sinkers, harvested from 12" and deeper.  I have yet to see a heavy deep target harvested in the wild with the D2.

Yes I have seen people bury a target, but not in the wild.  I guess what I am saying is the D2 may be great, but I want proof before I put my money down.  

Bill

Two observations:

1.  The "tests" are run usually against the Equinox or Excal.  Never seen  a Tarsacci vs. D2 head-2-head. (I'm hanging on to my Tarsacci at this point for the sole purpose of doing a side-by-side Tarsacci/D2 test, but in ultra hot dirt as I am first-and-foremost a serious relic hunter, who does beach detecting simply to stave off boredom on vacation).  I am anticipating moving on from Tarsacci, but want to give it a fighting chance to stay in the arsenal even though it is a pretty niche machine compared to the versatility delivered by Equinox and promised by D2 and Legend.

2.  It is hard to come to any concrete conclusions regarding "deep heavy" D2 target recovery capabilities until an army of D2 detectorists are out there invading the beaches. 

• The title was changed to Went To The Beach

Like the Stalker, I can attest to the Tarssacci' ability on Micro targets on the beaches.   Also I've, like many beach hunters have dug some eye popping holes in the surf as well as wading.  I'm hunting with 3 other guys who have different machines.  Last year my trusty Infinum needed a complete overhaul after 10 yrs.    A friend recently had his 20 yr. Excal in the shop.   Last week another friends Nox 800 flooded.   2 AT Pros and a Dualfield also been worked on.   Beach hunting is hard on machines. And machines that can handle salt, waves ect. quietly with depth are a Treasure.   The Tar is a good fit for me home in the mud and away on the beaches.    In the end for success it's  The Site, the Hunter, than a well maintained,rugged machine the hunter knows inside and out.

• Like 3