Feral Dogs In Rattlesnake Canyon

Most of the Southern California members of this forum are acquainted with the Rattlesnake Canyon area. It has been reported that a large pack of feral dogs has killed and eaten at least 14 cattle in RSC in recent weeks. So if you are going to prospect there, take care. HH Jim

• Thanks 4
  • Oh my! 1

Thanks for the heads up Jim, I was planning to go soon. We used to hike there but never knew of that issue.  So now that I will be detecting there, I will definitely look up and around more often.

The placers are east of Big Bear. Jim, any more information on where precisely? I googled it, but did not find anything. I plan to camp there soon.....

GC

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 2:00 PM, Gold Catcher said:

The placers are east of Big Bear. Jim, any more information on where precisely? I googled it, but did not find anything. I plan to camp there soon.....

GC

It’s all downhill from the rose mine area, first class miners have a claim near the base, and it’s wilderness area now starting uphill next to their claim.

• Thanks 1

Gold Catcher, the cattle get their water from Vaughn Springs, Mound Springs, and Viscera Springs. You can easily Google those locations. As you may know, RSC is also home to bears, mountain lion, lynx, and bobcat. 

Adam, we are not sure if the dogs are truly feral, or are domestic animals owned by one or more residents of Rattlesnake, Burns, or Pipes Canyons, whose owners are unaware of the predations. 

Tony, stay safe!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jim McCulloch said:

Gold Catcher, the cattle get their water from Vaughn Springs, Mound Springs, and Viscera Springs. You can easily Google those locations. As you may know, RSC is also home to bears, mountain lion, lynx, and bobcat. 

Adam, we are not sure if the dogs are truly feral, or are domestic animals owned by one or more residents of Rattlesnake, Burns, or Pipes Canyons, whose owners are unaware of the predations. 

Tony, stay safe!

Thanks Jim, shall do!  I had an interesting visit there after we got together, no color or dogs sighted but it made for a good scouting trip.  The Joshua tree forest in that canyon is amazing, those really large ones back there look more like old oak trees. May the nuggets I ever do find there get the same treatment as whatever helped the Joshuas! 😉

• Like 3

Thanks Jim,

I'll never forget the day you and I spent out there.

Mitchel