Jump to content

Winter Time Eye Candy... 2021 Better Finds


Recommended Posts


6 hours ago, Dan(NM) said:
  •  
Here's a few pics of last years finds. All were found in public places, mainly parks in Texas. I did hunt 1 school and 1 baseball field. My specialty is, hard hit, given up on places. I love the challenge of finding what was left behind. I use the Nox 800 and have it set up to cherry pick copper and silver 90% of the time. If I get into a really old place or around water, I'll open it up a bit. I use my tones as a discrimination , I run wide open . Total silver coin take was 117 and a 287 wheaties, total silver finds 144. Not sure how much clad I found, I cashed it in 3 different times during the year. I'm going on my 4th year with the Nox and have done very well relic, coin and water hunting during that time.

Here's my settings.

Park 1
Iron Bias F2-0
Ground balance 0
Recovery speed 3
2 tones... pitch on -9 to 17 at 3 from 18 and up at 25
Tone break at 18, unless in older places or around water.
No discrimination
Sensitivity as high as the site allows.
Coil scrubbing the ground and a slow sweep. I know what a lot of people are thinking, just think of all the stuff you left behind. I was having to drive 1 to 2 hours one way to get to some of these places. I have to maximize my time because of the time factor.

received_651948122650700.jpeg

received_1538203579894678.jpeg

received_283452043823299.jpeg

18750.jpeg

received_1102656223901017.jpeg

received_996005611273240.jpeg

Nice! I mean, wow! I can’t imagine how that must look in person, what an amazing collection! And thank you for also sharing information about your techniques and settings details too, what a inspiration and help for us newbies!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spectacular results for this late into the 50+ years that affordable, lightweight instruments for making such finds have existed.  No doubt you have significant skills in the swinging, recognition, and recovery part of MD'ing but I suspect you are among the best at researching to uncover ununted or lightly hunted sites that contain old coins.  Six silver halves and 25 silver quarters -- those don't come out of sites that have seen much (if any) detecting, at least not when you're using an IB/VLF.  "Well done" doesn't do this justice.

You mentioned a tone break (presumably dig / no dig break) at 18.  I see a few silver content USA 5 centers (aka 'Warnicks').  Did those come in above 18 or were those incidental finds (e.g. from a multi-coin hole with higher conductive sidekicks)?

Also, did you log the number of hours swinging, and if not will you give an estimate?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow -- what an incredible display of finds, capping off an outstanding year of detecting, Dan!

CONGRATS!!!

Steve

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow. Just wow. Reminds me of “the good old days,” and truly an inspiration knowing results like this are still possible. The secret of course is not a new detector. It research, and willingness to always be seeking and trying new places. Brilliant proof some really great locations are still out there, that do not require crazy amount of travel.

Just a wonderful post in so many ways. Thank you! :smile:

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Nice! I mean, wow! I can’t imagine how that must look in person, what an amazing collection! And thank you for also sharing information about your techniques and settings details too, what a inspiration and help for us newbies!

Thank you. It's very satisfying to see some keepers at the end of the year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, longbow62 said:

Congrats, you had a super year in my opinion.

Thanks, one of my best silver years in a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, steveg said:

Wow -- what an incredible display of finds, capping off an outstanding year of detecting, Dan!

CONGRATS!!!

Steve

Thank you sir!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Spectacular results for this late into the 50+ years that affordable, lightweight instruments for making such finds have existed.  No doubt you have significant skills in the swinging, recognition, and recovery part of MD'ing but I suspect you are among the best at researching to uncover ununted or lightly hunted sites that contain old coins.  Six silver halves and 25 silver quarters -- those don't come out of sites that have seen much (if any) detecting, at least not when you're using an IB/VLF.  "Well done" doesn't do this justice.

You mentioned a tone break (presumably dig / no dig break) at 18.  I see a few silver content USA 5 centers (aka 'Warnicks').  Did those come in above 18 or were those incidental finds (e.g. from a multi-coin hole with higher conductive sidekicks)?

Also, did you log the number of hours swinging, and if not will you give an estimate?

 I appreciate the kind words. I've been hunting on and off since 1988, so after awhile you learn to recognize potential producing areas. It helps having used the Nox exclusively for 100's of hours chasing deep iffy targets for almost 4 years. When I approach a new site, my thought is, if there is anything within the detecting range of the Nox, I'm going to find it, the machine was built for the kind of places I hunt.

  Now, I wish I could say that I spent hours in the library searching over old newspapers and microfiche for spots. But, what I did was look at a paper map, pick a couple of towns close to each other, call the parks dept or city office and ask them where the oldest parks were 🙂 If I found a wheat or a 5-6" deep coin, I knew the spot would have potential and I would beat the place into submission lol.   I did meet a few hunters out on the trail, none were interested in digging deep targets, just shallow clad, that was very encouraging. 

  I was very lucky to happen upon a few parks that had some great coins and stuff left. As far a time spent, If I drove an hour or more to a site, I'd spend 7-9 hours hunting. I would do that a couple times a week when I could, so, maybe 40-60 hours some months. If I were to guess, I'd say 300-400 hours. I missed almost 3 months of hunting this past year due to a move in the spring and only got out 1 time in Dec.

  As far as the warnicks go, several rang up in the zinc or low 20s. If a spot quit producing high conductors, I would break down a start looking for nickles lol, didn't happen often.  Most of the parks I hit weren't that old, 1920's or 30's. I did hit a couple of parks where I grew up that produced very well, 35 silvers in 3 days, that was a big advantage, but surprising that I found so many after all these years.   Everything clicked for me, I happened upon some poorly hunted sites, had a great machine and put in the time and effort and the rest is history.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Steve Herschbach changed the title to Winter Time Eye Candy... 2021 Better Finds

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...