Winter Time Eye Candy... 2021 Better Finds

Dan(NM)

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Wow. Just wow. Reminds me of “the good old days,” and truly an inspiration knowing results like this are still possible. The secret of course is not a new detector. It research, and willingness to always be seeking and trying new places. Brilliant proof some really great locations are still out there, that do not require crazy amount of travel.

Just a wonderful post in so many ways. Thank you! :smile:

Thank you Steve.  A few spots I would pull up and think to myself, no way is anything left, it's way too obvious of a place. You have no idea how many times I would shake my head in disbelief at what was coming out of the ground, I was stunned and that helped fuel the fire even more. I will add, not everything was deep, I dug a lot of shallow good targets and a boatload of crappy iffy signals that turned out to be keepers.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dan(NM) said:

...What I did was look at a paper map, pick a couple of towns close to each other, call the parks dept or city office and ask them where the oldest parks were 🙂 If I found a wheat or a 5-6" deep coin, I knew the spot would have potential and I would beat the place into submission lol.

Good to know.  I sometimes do similar when driving home from Colorado using Google maps (and HistoricAerials).  So far it seems I've ended up in places that have been detected, but one in particular was producing a Wheat or two.  Just wish I had more than a couple hours to hunt them....  It'll cost me an extra night in a hotel to accomodate that.

Whatever you're doing, it's obviously the right thing for your area.  I look forward to seeing what you find in 2022.  And you've inspired me to find some old parks in out-of-the-way towns within a couple hours of me for some weekend jaunts!  I think I'm lucky compared to many that my area and the entire state hasn't seen much detecting (relatively speaking) in the last several years.  I know there are some unhunted public places here.  But I'm also going to ask for some private permissions.  Back to my younger days getting rejected by the lasses.  At least the land owners won't laugh when they turn me down while thinking "and you thought you had a chance?!"  :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Good to know.  I sometimes do similar when driving home from Colorado using Google maps (and HistoricAerials).  So far it seems I've ended up in places that have been detected, but one in particular was producing a Wheat or two.  Just wish I had more than a couple hours to hunt them....  It'll cost me an extra night in a hotel to accomodate that.

Whatever you're doing, it's obviously the right thing for your area.  I look forward to seeing what you find in 2022.  And you've inspired me to find some old parks in out-of-the-way towns within a couple hours of me for some weekend jaunts!  I think I'm lucky compared to many that my area and the entire state hasn't seen much detecting (relatively speaking) in the last several years.  I know there are some unhunted public places here.  But I'm also going to ask for some private permissions.  Back to my younger days getting turned down by the lasses.  At least the land owners won't laugh when they turn me down while thinking "and you thought you had a chance?!"  :laugh:

I did spend a few days in my hometown in Northern Texas, dug 35 silver coins in 3 days of hunting. I would hunt 8-10 hours per day. I have a feeling I may have to do some door knocking back in some of the towns that produced. I hope the yards produce like the parks   Being a married man, I'm used to hearing no ; )

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to Winter Time Eye Candy... 2021 Better Finds