50 Tone Target Adjustments Of T1 And T2: Is There An Error In The Minelab Equinox Manual?

Refer to page 48 in Minelab Equinox Manual:

Am I missing something or is the instruction wrong or a type-o?

Manual states: "The non-ferrous setting can not be a higher number than the ferrous setting."

Should it not read: "The non-ferrous setting can not be a lower number than the ferrous setting."

Of course it may have 'flew over my head' . . . I've spend some time attempting to clarify the statement but it still appears like a type-o.

What's the verdict?

While on this subject: Are t1(50Hz) and (t2)500Hz fixed in terms of pitch or frequency? I would think they are permeably set. Just curious.

Thanks, Billy

Probably a typo but I keep 50-tone pitch gap at the default and don’t give it much thought.  It is a misnomer to think of T1 (50hz) and T2 (500hz) as two discrete, adjustable tone pitches.  They represent pitch frequency ranges with the “10” ferrous tones spread across a 50 hz range and the 50 non-ferrous tones spread across a 500 hz range  with the high end pitch of the 50 hz ferrous range and the low end pitch of the 500 hz non-ferrous range defined by the pitch gap setting.  1,25 max; 1,20 default; and 11,12 min gap settings.  It’s pretty non-intuitive, so I don’t bother messing with it at all.  The default pretty much just works.

• Like 2

I agree the wording is incorrect.  I have both park and field modes at 50 tone to maintain a standard for my ears. I’ve adjusted the numbers multiple times and landed back to default.  I think the 50 tone pitch adjustments are a deep cave where you’ll never find the gem your hoping for. 

I use the default, but reduce the ferrous volume by about half. It’s hard for any normal person to easily understand what they are explaining, and I don’t even try. But I do always run 50 tones (is it really 50?) for nearly all my detecting, and like it very much.

• Like 5

On 1/15/2022 at 10:30 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I use the default, but reduce the ferrous volume by about half. It’s hard for any normal person to easily understand what they are explaining, and I don’t even try. But I do always run 50 tones (is it really 50?) for nearly all my detecting, and like it very much.

Same as above