Beach Sand Scoop Advice

23 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Looks like Amazon would be your best for starters.

But I would recommend going with one that cost more, I can remember making a few when I first started.. they were barbaric and I hate to say, a waste of my time. Then I bought a few sub-standards..lasted one summer..

Me .. I would recommend a Stav's from ukraine..contact him, give him a sad story..He may give you a better deal.. I've seen him run discounts of 10% before..

https://stavrscoop.com/en/15-sand-scoop-evroexcavator-2-v22.html

yep I have one of these and it's my favorite ..make sure you get a carbon fiber handle 

strick 

2 hours ago, mcjtom said:

CooB has an interesting 'beach shovel'.  Would anyone have any experience using it (or something like it) on the beach (or elsewhere)?

Image 1 - CooB Metal Detector Sand Scoop Shovel 10mm Holes Metal Detecing Hunting Tool

http://scoopbycoob.com/?product=new-model-stainless-steel-2-0mm-shovel-for-digging10mm-hexahedron-holes

NO, on the beach shovel.

My recommendation comes down to open scoop or more of a bucket scoop. If you are detecting in a rough surf, I recommend a bucket style that keeps the target in the scoop. Example:

RTG Pro Aluminum 6’ Water Scoop with Stainless Tip for Metal Detecting BB6TIP 9068004302 | eBay  

1 hour ago, midalake said:

NO, on the beach shovel.

My recommendation comes down to open scoop or more of a bucket scoop. If you are detecting in a rough surf, I recommend a bucket style that keeps the target in the scoop. Example:

RTG Pro Aluminum 6’ Water Scoop with Stainless Tip for Metal Detecting BB6TIP 9068004302 | eBay  

The ad says it's a 6 foot scoop. I assume they mean 6 inch scoop, as in the diameter of the basket. It also doesn't have a removable handle, which might not work for the OP.

Check out RTG (Reilly’s Treasured Gold). Good scoops and reasonably priced.  Made in Florida.

After much research I went with the Blade travel version but they have a 6” round travel version as well and many other options. Hand scoops, short pole, long pole, travel pole, aluminum and stainless. You can order direct, other detector shops, ebay, Amazon. They offer some customization if you order direct but not sure on overseas. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mcjtom said:

CooB has an interesting 'beach shovel'.  Would anyone have any experience using it (or something like it) on the beach (or elsewhere)?

Image 1 - CooB Metal Detector Sand Scoop Shovel 10mm Holes Metal Detecing Hunting Tool

http://scoopbycoob.com/?product=new-model-stainless-steel-2-0mm-shovel-for-digging10mm-hexahedron-holes

I'd rather have the scoop. In beach sand after scooping, of the target is still in the hole (I usually limit myself to 3-5 scoops), I will use my pinpointer with a non-metal trowel like the incredibly tough Fiskars trowel:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JSGUSMG

These aren't great in dirt, but are a breeze on the beach, and they're cheap.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cudamark said:

The ad says it's a 6 foot scoop. I assume they mean 6 inch scoop, as in the diameter of the basket. It also doesn't have a removable handle, which might not work for the OP.

Yes, I have this same scoop in the travel version.

My point was to the OP and others there are two types of scoops to consider. If one thinks they are going to hunt where the surf and waves are tough.  Then consider getting a scoop that has more basket than open face. 

Open face scoops get targets knocked out too easy by waves.  HH

• Like 2

I have an old RTG made for Whites I use and also one the traditional stainless ones.

I like the size of the stainless but it is heavier and wet sand doesn't sift out as easily unless your in the water. For wet sand/beach combing the wire basket type are better.

Another alternative is the Nokta scoop as it seems to be the best of both worlds.

• Like 2

The old adage that, " You get what you pay for." holds true in spades where sand scoops are concerned..and it's the next most important piece of equipment besides your detector that you have on the beach. At least that's been my experience and all I hunt are beaches.

The best out there that I know of:

Sunspot (Stealth) https://j9h.6d6.myftpupload.com/

Xtreme  https://xtremescoops.com/

T-Rex https://thegolddigger.com/collections/detecting-adventures-sand-scoops
(The T-Rex is carried by many dealers)

Buy quality and you'll only buy it once.

Just the view from my sandy foxhole

• Like 5

I didn't have any luck with T-Rex scoops. Without gussets in the upper corners, they would break there after only a few months use. The ones without the upper plate-to-handle bracket support struts also developed cracks in that upper plate. I admit that I'm fairly hard on scoops. I tend to dig full scoops of wet sand, especially out in the water. In trying to be easy on my arms and back, I tend to lever the basket out of the sandy bottom instead of lifting straight up. That produces strain on any weak points and causes metal fatigue when there is some flex in those areas. The stiffer you can make these areas, the less flex and fatigue you're going to have.

• Like 1

I do the same thing. I push it down as far as possible by standing on the back of the scoop and wiggling it to get through the tough shell/ rock sand. I use the Xtreme stainless steel scoop and carbon handle. Heavy but worth it.

11 minutes ago, cudamark said:

I didn't have any luck with T-Rex scoops. Without gussets in the upper corners, they would break there after only a few months use. The ones without the upper plate-to-handle bracket support struts also developed cracks in that upper plate. I admit that I'm fairly hard on scoops. I tend to dig full scoops of wet sand, especially out in the water. In trying to be easy on my arms and back, I tend to lever the basket out of the sandy bottom instead of lifting straight up. That produces strain on any weak points and causes metal fatigue when there is some flex in those areas. The stiffer you can make these areas, the less flex and fatigue you're going to have.

I do the same thing. I push it down as far as possible by standing on the back of the scoop and wiggling it to get through the tough shell/ rock sand. I use the Xtreme stainless steel scoop and carbon handle. Heavy but worth it. So far, not even any sign that it can not handle it. Very durable scoop. Unfortunately not a good candidate for what  mcjtom was looking for. Not very portable for travel or cheap.

• Like 1