Beach Sand Scoop Advice

• 3 months later...

So I am new to all this fun. I am looking for an all around scoop that is good for a noob. Use would be mostly lake and some ocean and probably wet sand.  
What is a good entry level brand that can take a beating. The reviews are all over the place. Thanks... 

1 hour ago, Carolyn said:

So I am new to all this fun. I am looking for an all around scoop that is good for a noob. Use would be mostly lake and some ocean and probably wet sand.  
What is a good entry level brand that can take a beating. The reviews are all over the place. Thanks... 

You get what you pay for in scoops. No such thing as entry level and take a beating. There has been good advise in this thread so far. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, midalake said:

You get what you pay for in scoops. No such thing as entry level and take a beating. There has been good advise in this thread so far. 

What should I look for? Wood handle? Poly Carb, or Stainless steel. Do I want an 11" or is an 8" wide just as good?  What about hole size? 

Wood handle is light and cheap. Floats in the water too. Stainless steel handle is heavy. I've never had a carbon fiber handle. I'm sure they are nice.

A lot of choice in a sand scoops. I find 3/8" holes is big enough. I have a 6" wide and an 8" wide sand scoop. I don't think I would want an 11" wide scoop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carolyn said:

What should I look for? Wood handle? Poly Carb, or Stainless steel. Do I want an 11" or is an 8" wide just as good?  What about hole size? 

If you're going to buy a scoop and handle buy it just once. I have 3 scoops. An Xtreme scoop and carbon fiber handle, a stavr with a wood handle and an all aluminum scoop. You can't go wrong with one of these. If you plan to travel with it and space is an issue get a two piece handle for it. My Xtreme gets used the most and rather than rounded it is pointed because I dig into some pretty rocky beaches. Hole size is pretty similar across the board but some have the bottoms configured for small jewelry. Width speaks more to how good you are pinpointing your targets. 8" is great if you're on your target but sucks if your coil control isn't what it needs to be. 

There's a ton of junk out there and you literally get what you pay for with scoops and handles. 

Best to you

• Like 2

The Nokta scoop might be worth checking out. Regular sand scoops are great in the water to sift out the sand but wet sand on the shore you end up just dumping it on the side rather than shaking them out. I tend to favor my RTG basket scoop for beach combing. The Nokta seems to be a hybrid of sorts between a regular scoop and basket type. Handle comes apart for portability.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Carolyn said:

If you are a female, I would not get a scoop over 6". The weight would be difficult with a larger scoop. Heck, a loaded 6" scoop of wet sand is a load for me. 
I still have this scoop [with some repairs] after 25 years. I would say a good starter scoop. Don't be afraid to drill a few extra holes in it!  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185194488554?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=185194488554&targetid=1263094004786&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9027607&poi=&campaignid=16190447015&mkgroupid=128435277530&rlsatarget=pla-1263094004786&abcId=9300820&merchantid=114170729&gclid=CjwKCAjw7IeUBhBbEiwADhiEMQBWr36XZ8X74hp-sJ_09Kqi_jEX1vd62EWuTS-sNJH25vJwPyLDDRoCtIwQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

Good info so far ^^

Weight was an issue for my abused old elbows !

I chose a smaller one (T-Rex ) stainless and just put on an old wooden D handle from a grain shovel (which was too big for snow!) As mentioned , the carbon fiber handles are a great choice if you have the $. I'm saving for an upgrade.....

There are short clamp on handles that make pulling a straight shaft UP easier !  Get one of them if you go straight any type handles . Slippery when wet.

Some people add a pool noodle to keep 'er afloat when wading in above waist water.. this works for the detector too....

Don't forget the sun screen. Happy digging, life's a beach !

21 hours ago, midalake said:

If you are a female, I would not get a scoop over 6". The weight would be difficult with a larger scoop. Heck, a loaded 6" scoop of wet sand is a load for me. 
I still have this scoop [with some repairs] after 25 years. I would say a good starter scoop. Don't be afraid to drill a few extra holes in it!  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185194488554?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=185194488554&targetid=1263094004786&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9027607&poi=&campaignid=16190447015&mkgroupid=128435277530&rlsatarget=pla-1263094004786&abcId=9300820&merchantid=114170729&gclid=CjwKCAjw7IeUBhBbEiwADhiEMQBWr36XZ8X74hp-sJ_09Kqi_jEX1vd62EWuTS-sNJH25vJwPyLDDRoCtIwQAvD_BwE

Only thing I don't like about some of the RTG scoops is that the 5/8 inch holes frequently let tabs slip through. They have scoops with 9/16 inch and some with 1/2 inch holes where the tabs don't slide through unless they are bent. They used to make the scoops with the size holes you wanted. Don't know if they still do that; might be worth calling them. The RTG scoops hold up well.

• Like 3