Beach Sand Scoop Advice

I have a couple scoops with 5/8" holes and I put a wire screen in them with smaller holes to catch everything.

• Like 1

I have a scoop made by this company and it is the same as I bought it 5 years later.

https://www.borderlineengineering.com/ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The aluminum handle scoops will turn your hands dark so you will want to wear gloves. I bought my wife one when we first started but now it just sits as she would rather use my light weight starve with carbon fiber handle which is my favorite scoop. I agree with getting a smaller scoop 

. Strick

• Like 3

18 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I have a scoop made by this company and it is the same as I bought it 5 years later.

https://www.borderlineengineering.com/ 

I bought one of their stainless scoops. I’ve only detected at the ocean three times since I started detecting and done fresh water hunting only a few times more than that, but it worked well and is very strong.  I bought mine off his ebay store and contacted him about modifying it with a solid strap around the back.  He did that for me for no extra charge.  

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I realize that there is not a single answer to this, but I just found a local Stainless Steel manufacturer willing to experiment with me.  I kind of want a small portable round scoop (to make it easier to make).  So perhaps I'll ask for an advice: what would be a reasonable round-hole size for such a scoop?  I was thinking between 10 and 15 mm, for wet sand/surf and dry as well, easy to shift sand through but still retain things (maybe not the smallest)?  Also figured that 1.5 mm thick plate is plenty?  Does it sound reasonable?

• Like 1

The Australian Threepence (or three pence) is a small silver coin which was used in the Commonwealth of Australia prior to decimalisation. It is also the same size as UK old 
Threepence, Coin Type from Australia - detailed information.
Country Australia
Size 16.000 mm
  So at 15mm could be OK for most coins but for jewellery have a look at some small ear rings that may occur in you location. Hope this helps you decide the best size to have for your use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mcjtom said:

I was thinking between 10 and 15 mm, for wet sand/surf and dry as well, easy to shift sand through but still retain things (maybe not the smallest)?  Also figured that 1.5 mm thick plate is plenty?  Does it sound reasonable?

I run holes slightly larger than 9/16. If you wash the sand out of your scoop [like I do] any hole's smaller take too much time or are not effective at all.
Yes, a few small items might slip through. If I think there is a small target, I walk it up the beach and dump it. 

I see everyone using 1.5 mm thickness. Not all stainless steel is created EQUAL>>>>Quality metal makes a difference!  HH 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very good prices too. My RTG is about worn out. I prefer the basket style scoop over the others especially since I do more beach combing than wading.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2022 at 3:26 AM, strick said:

The aluminum handle scoops will turn your hands dark so you will want to wear gloves. I bought my wife one when we first started but now it just sits as she would rather use my light weight starve with carbon fiber handle which is my favorite scoop. I agree with getting a smaller scoop 

. Strick

Paint the aluminum handle with truck bed liner spray. The skin staining stops, there is a better grip to pull up a full scoop and the handles don't heat up as much in the sun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, tvr said:

Paint the aluminum handle with truck bed liner spray. The skin staining stops, there is a better grip to pull up a full scoop and the handles don't heat up as much in the sun.

I tried bed liner and it does work but not for that long. Might be better off with grip tape like the stuff used on bikes. I took the easier way out and lent mine to a buddy so he has a scoop to use and black hands 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4