Space Brownie No Nuts

Wow, that ain't no dink!  Fantastic find.  Do you know when the meteoroid expired there over Gold Basin (spreading its offspring)?  Four inches deep in the desert -- is the overburden primarily wind deposited or did you find this in a wash or ??  Regardless, that's quite a prize find.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Wow, that ain't no dink!  Fantastic find.  Do you know when the meteoroid expired there over Gold Basin (spreading its offspring)?  Four inches deep in the desert -- is the overburden primarily wind deposited or did you find this in a wash or ??  Regardless, that's quite a prize find.

I’ve read 10,000 to 15,000 years ago was the impact, this was in an area of low rolling hills centered in the strew field not in a wash. I’d have to guess how it was covered up probably a combination of impact and environmental mechanisms involved, it was exciting removing the first inch and finding it had not moved.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

...It was exciting removing the first inch and finding it had not moved.

And I bet the excitement didn't end there.  I'm curious to read how this compares to @Lunk's GB meteorite finds in terms of size.  I was thinking most meteorites found there are pretty small pieces, not 6/7 of a lb.  I assume a Radio Shack detector would have found this one, even if operated by a raw beginner.  Does that mean you were in an unsearched (for gold) area or is this another case of people ignoring really large signals, thinking it must be trash?

• Like 2

That’s a great find for GB these days, WTG!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'm curious to read how this compares to @Lunk's GB meteorite finds in terms of size.  I was thinking most meteorites found there are pretty small pieces, not 6/7 of a lb. 

The largest stone I recall finding at GB was around 500 grams. 

• Like 1

What a find indeed!

Couldn't have happened to a better person, unless I had the good luck to find itfirst.

Good luck on your next hunt and go back and find the gold that it buried.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

And I bet the excitement didn't end there.  I'm curious to read how this compares to @Lunk's GB meteorite finds in terms of size.  I was thinking most meteorites found there are pretty small pieces, not 6/7 of a lb.  I assume a Radio Shack detector would have found this one, even if operated by a raw beginner.  Does that mean you were in an unsearched (for gold) area or is this another case of people ignoring really large signals, thinking it must be trash?

This is good size I think, but Lunk wins that contest His is bigger than mine,lol.

I’d guess the latter, my first thought was “where’s the can” and there wasn’t one, so I kept looking.

I was hunting up in the Sierra’s on a WSPA club claim, “Hot Patch” I’d just joined and was new at this hmmm don’t remember the year I had the 7000 I was preorder and it was newly released or within a year of that anyway, I was working my way down from the clearing everyone used as a parking spot parallel to the dual track I drove in on and inside the trees just a little bit I hit a tin can signal that I ignored, later regretting. In this area there was a small surface quartz breakout and a shallow prospect hole with some cans and timber debris left by the old timers that I recall, the entire area was heavily mined this spot nestled in the tree line was missed I think amongst the ground sluicing probably covered by overburden and later mostly exposed by years of run off, some nugget I read was found in the area and I always wondered if I should have at least looked for the can?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Excellent find for sure - congratulations!! 👍🏼

Steve thanks and thank you for building a place where we can access the information we need from the experts like Lunk and yourself teaching us green horns what to do.