Tips For A Gold Monster 1000 In Gold Basin

Hello everyone. Long time prospector (30+ years) but new to this forum.

I'm an expert in the water but having a frustrating time in the desert.

I just invested in a GM1000 and looking for advice using it at Gold Basin.

I live in Kingman and always looking for buddies/groups to search with too.

Thank you in advance. 

Hello, gold Basin can be tough. I would find an area that someone has drywashed. Check both the header and tailings piles. Also detect around the bottom and edges of the hole. You should be able to scratch out a few pieces with the Monster. 

Good luck,

Chris 

• Like 3

I get down that way a few times a year. But I would say a good place to start would be to join a few or all of the gold clubs down there. GPAA, MPA Mohave Prospects Association and GSSN Gold Searches of Southern Nevada all have claims there.

GSSN actually has an outing planned this next weekend Jan 22nd. I was going to try and make it but not looking like it's going to happen. Would be a good way for you to get introduced to the area if you join their club this week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have detected many drywash piles at GB, some of the clever folks that drywashed  buried soda cans in their piles, why?

I'm at Gold Basin now. I've been here since October and I'll tell you it is tough getting onto gold here with a detector. I have detected in many, many washes from the level near the helicopter refueling pad all the way to the Mica mine and into the hills to the west, north and south and it is very tough to get over a nugget now. I talked with a friend here who has done very well at Gold Basin in years past with his 7000 and he says it is getting really tough to get over gold in GB with it as well. I know many spots where big gold, 1-5 ouncers have been found through inside advice and no luck. I have only found 12 nuggets at GB since October and I am hunting it every week. All the advice I was given got me nothing but skunk. All my nuggets I got there were retrieved by going back to what I talk about in my book. I met a fellow Montanan up there and we are teaming up to find and get onto gold. He has been there for three to four weeks and hunting every day and he has found nothing, not even one tiny dink of a nugget. But I am not giving up. I will be here till some time in March and I intend to find something bigger than a half gram. Of the twelve nuggets I got, two were found on slopes, the remaining 10 were found in the bottom of the washes on caliche or down deep in the bedrock. None were found on the flat ridges. So with what I have learned so far here is if you want to find gold here, you have to hunt areas where the caliche and bedrock is exposed and remove gravels surrounding the exposed areas. This is what I will be doing starting tomorrow. You are going to have to dig to expose more untouched bedrock and caliche. The good nuggets I am seeing come out of here are from dry washers digging down to bedrock or caliche and then detecting it and then dry washing it. You will undoubtedly face many days of skunks at GB but don't let it get you down. Dig in and get ready for a fight to get to the gold. Think outside the box and get creative, but you will need to dig. The only places I will be detecting are where I come across bedrock and caliche and I pull gold out, then I will dig the sides of the wash out about two feet into the sides and down to bedrock. I will also remove gravels on bedrock in the middle of the wash if less than 1 3/4 feet down. I've tried this with deeper material and it is alot of work. I intend to hike and only detect where the washes have bedrock and or caliche exposed, period. If the washes don't then I move on to the next and then the next without detecting. All the advice I have gotten is great but I always end up back in the bottoms where there is bedrock and caliche and this is the only place I am having any degree of success. You can give me a call if you like AZ Goldman.406-309-1009 

I will help you with what I can and you can tag along. I'm not greedy with the gold. Reese

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Reese, thanks for the insight and offer, I had some success at GB years ago but nothing the last 2 times ( 2 weeks altogether ). I may give it another go some time as I really like the area and the town of Meadview, plus I would like to try the 6000 there. 

MSC, I have spent a few months at Gold Basin and a few weeks at Meadview, and the gold take in my honest opinion is Meadview is better. You will also have better luck by far if you have a 4 Wheeler. I am finding gold more often, more consistently in Meadview, and the gold is bigger as well on some pieces. I got one or two since these pictures were taken four days ago. Meadview is better. Join the Gold Searchers of Southern Nevada and go on their claims.

IMG_20220302_143913135.jpg

IMG_20220301_163038210.jpg

• Like 5