Talked Myself Into a 25" Nugget Finder Coil

There is a 30" x 7" coil I got to try while in Australia. No depth but made for covering lots of ground fast. In my opinion it is just too long. I have used 24" long elliptical coils day in and day out and they handled fine, but 30" is so much you are practically stepping on the end of it unless you push the coil way out front. Then again if I had found a nugget with it I might have loved it, but I did not.

The bigger 36" and 40" coils are really designed more for dragging. I think 20" or even 22" might be something I could handle better for longer stretches than the 25", which is pushing it. But as I noted I like there to be enough difference in coil size to make a real difference so 25" it is.

I really like my 18" and probably a 20" would really suit me. Maybe when the 18" wears out.....

Wouldn't there be a point where the detector fails to transmit enough energy to support the coil? There are just too many obstacles here to run a big coil in this area but I always wonder what I missed by 2"

Wouldn't there be a point where the detector fails to transmit enough energy to support the coil? There are just too many obstacles here to run a big coil in this area but I always wonder what I missed by 2"

You can give my 22" a go anytime you want.  Looks like I won't be needing it for a month or two.  We know one place it can be used :-)

Kenny

Wimp! A huge coil might be one way to deal with 6" of snow.

Where I'm headed isn't really known for gold.  Cold, wind and blizzards, yes.....Gold..No :-(  If you want I will bring it over and you can give it a run.  Just don't perform the mods that you were applying to that 18" yesterday......LOL

Yes though coils as large as 4 feet by 4 feet are not uncommon on pulse induction detectors. The main thing is the larger the coil, the larger the item it usually takes to get a good response at depth. The good news is this means that some degree of small surface trash can be completely avoided.

I saw at least two 36" coils employed in Australia as drag coils. Pretty common over there.

OK. ddmk6 left me his 22" round Coiltek to try and if I'm not successful with it I AM HOLDING STEVE HERSCHBACH PERSONALLY LIABLE for my expenses and hurt feelings AND sore shoulder.

Good way to go trying one out. They are a pain to swing, hard on the body, and for me at least a nightmare to pinpoint with. I very often dig on what appears to be a signal dead center and it turns out later, after I have missed it and dug too deep, to be a nail, usually directly under one edge of the coil. A pinpointer can be very handy when running these monsters though you have to be careful not to have the coil picking up the pinpointer itself. Any excess metal on your body can cause false signals - be alert to any signal at the end of one end of your swing. Probably your pick or some other item you are carrying.

Anyway, it really is hard to justify owning one of these and a good tryout may save you lots of money.

• Like 1