Nokta Simplex+ On Salt Water Beaches?

Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a Nokta simplex+, has anyone used it on a saltwater beach? If so, how did it perform on wet sand, dry sand and in salt water? 

Thank you all!

I have a Simplex it works fine in dry sand.  However,  being a single frequency machine, it is just not very stable in wet salt sand or saltwater.  I would suggest looking at a simultaneous multifrequency detector, because that technology is better at canceling out the salt ground signal that makes single frequency machines chatty in wet salt sand and salt water.  The Minelab Vanquish 440 is a multifrequency detector in the same price range as Simplex. The Garrett Apex and Minelab Equinox 600 are a little more expensive but perform well in salt because they too are simultaneous multifrequency.  Nokta is about to release the Legend which is the multifrequency successor to the Simplex.  It will sell at a price point just above the ML Equinox 600.  HTH.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I have a Simplex it works fine in dry sand.  However,  being a single frequency machine, it is just not very stable in wet salt sand or saltwater.  I would suggest looking at a simultaneous multifrequency detector, because that technology is better at canceling out the salt ground signal that makes single frequency machines chatty in wet salt sand and salt water.  The Minelab Vanquish 440 is a multifrequency detector in the same price range as Simplex. The Garrett Apex and Minelab Equinox 600 are a little more expensive but perform well in salt because they too are simultaneous multifrequency.  Nokta is about to release the Legend which is the multifrequency successor to the Simplex.  It will sell at a price point just above the ML Equinox 600.  HTH.

Chase summed it up perfectly.  Follow his advice and you will be good to go.

• Like 1

Hello Chase,

Thank you for your excellent response!M

Much appreciated!

I will take a look at the other detectors that you have recommended! 

I wish the Vanquish was waterproof....

Thanks much!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, DOOGY-MD said:

Hello Chase,

Thank you for your excellent response!M

Much appreciated!

I will take a look at the other detectors that you have recommended! 

I wish the Vanquish was waterproof....

Thanks much!

Yes. The Vanquish will work in salt water as a wading detector, but will likely not survive a dunking.  Same with Apex.  In that case Equinox and Legend (when released) are your best bets.  Further up the price scale is Equinox 800 (more adjustments and single frequencies than the 600 and comes with wireless phones) and the XP Deus 2 which is fully submersible to 60 ft.  Good luck.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 2:00 PM, Chase Goldman said:

If only the apex was waterproof, i dont know how they overlooked that, but finally they caught up with the rest and made a smaller lighter box with easier to read display. my friend has a simplex I tried it and had a hard time getting it stable but could just be an issue with his, was curious how it would do on salt beach as well, thanks for the input

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BigelowHawkins said:

If only the apex was waterproof, i dont know how they overlooked that, but finally they caught up with the rest and made a smaller lighter box with easier to read display. my friend has a simplex I tried it and had a hard time getting it stable but could just be an issue with his, was curious how it would do on salt beach as well, thanks for the input

With Apex they were trying to get their first shot at SMF out there while trying to hit a competitive price point.  I am sure Garrett did not overlook making the Apex waterproof.  I am certain it was a conscious design and cost decision while releasing a completely revamped and attractive detector form factor.  There is no doubt in my mind that Garrett knew that if they reached for waterproof that it would push the price point closer to or beyond the Equinox 600 and they also probably knew in their heart of hearts that they did not have Equinox 600 level performance in Apex.  By not making it waterproof they knew they would probably not take a big hit from the “Ace” fans (since no Ace is waterproof) while fielding a detector that was compelling enough for existing and prospective “Ace” fans to take the plunge.  In the mean time they they are selling a popular new Garrett while buying time to refine the Garrett second gen SMF performance suitable for use in a future AT series (i.e., waterproof) SMF detector.

• Like 5