If You Are Considering Getting A Deus 2...

Shouldn't you consider a Tarscassi too? The prices are close. I imagine the performance is close.

I have not touched a Deus 2, but I would bet that it depends what type of hunting you prefer.

I would guess the Tarsacci is better on the beach and up to neck deep in the ocean.

I would guess that the Deus 2 is better in the park, deep silver and a carpet of nails and iron.

I agree with Joe that 5 year warranty is hard to beat.

I would be very interested in which machine wins in heavy mineralized beach or relic spots.

I guess what I am saying is what tool helps you hunt in your favorite hunting sight is the one you should own.  I own 4 different machines because I prefer certain machines for the environment that I am hunting.  You wouldn't use a Tarsacci to hunt for nuggets, but you could.  I will not be a buyer of the Deus 2, but if I could only own one machine, it would probably be the Deus 2.  

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, The_Stalker said:

I would be very interested in which machine wins in heavy mineralized beach or relic spots.

I plan on testing that out as soon as I get my hands on one.

The Tarsacci does two things really well - salt beach detecting and mineralized dirt detecting, based on its salt balance adjustment setting.  D2 has a similar salt handling adjustment called salt sensitivity that may give the Tarsacci a run for its money on the beach.  The D2 Beach modes that incorporate this adjustment could conceivably be viable relic modes in hot dirt.  

1 hour ago, Rick N. MI said:

Shouldn't you consider a Tarscassi too? The prices are close. I imagine the performance is close.

Yes, tge Tarsacci should be considered.  Joe pointed out the 5 year warranty, Stalker pointed out the versatility of the D2 (as compared to Tarsacci).  The Deus 2, on paper, is throretically more resilient to submerged water detecting.

The third point to consider is ergonomics, much lighter and more compact with built-in wireless audio.

If D2 proves to be the superior hot dirt detector, look out for a lightly used Tarsacci hitting the classifieds...

• Like 4

All I can say is after having a Tarsacci for two years I’d recommend getting the Deus II. While the Tarsacci can be made to perform, there are various things about it that make a lot of people just quietly let it go after giving it a spin. In my case I really did not like the tones, and the inability to adjust them at all. There is what I consider to be a poor menu structure, that makes adjusting the detector an exercise in frustration. In bad ground there is almost no way to quiet spurious high tone false signals without employing undocumented salt balance and notch tricks, which frankly are just workarounds. Getting it tuned properly in different locations requires different tricks, is not easy, and leaves one never 100% confident the detector is set up correctly.

Despite being marketed as a beach detector, the MDT 8000 strikes me more as a ferrous/non-ferrous relic detector. The manufacturer does not even make or supply waterproof headphones for the machine. The 18 month warranty is kind of the nail in the coffin. There are some people who love the MDT 8000, and more power to them, but in my opinion, if given the opportunity to try both, most people would choose the Deus II as the one to keep. I say that having never laid hands on the Deus II, so that might indicate I’ve got pretty strong feelings on that.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Despite being marketed as a beach detector, the MDT 8000 strikes me more as a ferrous/non-ferrous relic detector.

I enjoyed working the MDT on the beach here. Almost bought one and would never discourage anyone from buying one. It does really work great! 

I passed because of the dual metal coinage here. There was too much wrap around signal on the 1-2 and 5 peso coin.  If that was not the case I think the MDT would of became my primary machine! 

It stomps the Equinox on how well it functions in the wave wash.  

• Like 2

In the water, the MDT worked pretty good for me and I would say it was deeper than the Nox. I prefer to run the Excal in pinpoint mode for depth or the Nox for the shallower stuff.

Out of the water and over wet sand, the Tarsacci was difficult to use. I was able to get it quiet for one part of the beach and then I had to make adjustment to the point where the Nox was deeper. Some beaches it ran just fine and others it took adjustments. With the Nox I do not have make any adjustment except for the sensitivity. I can run it at 23/24 and drop it to 20/21 and my issues go away.

I am in Long Island Sound so there are not big waves and there the beaches can have lots of iron and mineralize sand and black sand.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 4:30 PM, Rick N. MI said:

My buddy has a mdt 8000 I got to play with it a little in our test garden. It out performed the equinox and Deus 1 easily on depth however the tones or lack there of I should say were a no go for me.

I just could not get used to that high pitch “ting” sound it made..Looked to be a well built machine....

Strick 

I had an MDT. I could not get used to the machine for anything. I never meshed with it and after 30 hours of use I sold it. I'm not an engineer minded type which is what I felt a person needed to be to use the MDT. I'm hopeful the D2 is more turn on and go like the Nox is. If I overthink it I ruin it and that's what the MDT did to me.