If You Are Considering Getting A Deus 2...

This warranty does not cover :
• Breakage caused by falls, impacts or accidental damage
• Damage caused by abnormal use or resulting from non-compliance with the conditions of use stipulated
in the device’s instructions.
• Using without coil cover, or using defective coil cover.
• Alteration of the electronic circuit by any unauthorized person.
• Corrosion of electronic circuits, due to water ingress

OK it has a 5 year warranty, but if it leaks and causes "corrosion of the electronic circuit" , well kiss that $1,500 good bye.

• Oh my! 2

On 1/17/2022 at 2:00 PM, Flydog said:

This warranty does not cover :
• Breakage caused by falls, impacts or accidental damage
• Damage caused by abnormal use or resulting from non-compliance with the conditions of use stipulated
in the device’s instructions.
• Using without coil cover, or using defective coil cover.
• Alteration of the electronic circuit by any unauthorized person.

OK it has a 5 year warranty, but if it leaks and causes "corrosion of the electronic circuit" , well kiss that $1,500 good bye.

Let's use some common sense.

This is the problem with using general language that also covers the the non-watertight components such as the wireless headphones which are not designed for submerged water usage.  Furthermore, the user is responsible for using and properly installing the dive sealing plug and rinsing components with fresh water following submerged use as stated in the manual.  Presumably, the non-watertight components and water intrusion resulting from user error, would not be covered.  But obviously, if there is a case or plug manufacturing defect, XP would cover that.   

• Like 3

If the Deus 2 leaks like the Equinox, and XP does not back it without question, as Minelab has done, then you can kiss XPs reputation and D2 water sales goodbye. It’s really that simple, and XP knows it. All warranties have exclusions, and cover manufacturer defects in manufacturing, not wear and tear, or abuse.

Anyone with doubts, sit it out. Wait a year for the dust to settle. Nobody here cares if you buy a Deus 2 now, or ever. At least I don’t. :smile:

• Like 8

I gave the Tarsacci 2 chances about a year apart from each other. Used it at the beach maybe 10 hours, no complaints there. But most of my hours (200 or so) spent with the Tarsacci was relic hunting bad dirt.

I compared it to the Deus, Equinox and GPX quite a bit. It absolutely spanked the Deus for depth in my dirt and had the Equinox beat by maybe an inch. But the GPX with a 14" coil left the Tarsacci in the dust for depth. So in the end if I need depth I grab the GPX. Why screw around with a machine that is maybe an inch deeper than the Equinox and is like Steve said a nightmare to get it tuned right. I too could never mesh with the tones and the constant high tone chirp of falsing on mineralization. I ran it in Culpeper 10 hours one day in the rain and fought it the whole time adjusting the ground and salt balance to keep it quiet. I did find stuff down to about 9 inches and struggled to tell if it was ferrous or nonferrous at that depth. The GPX will push 14 plus inches in that dirt no problem and IMO is easier to ID iron. So for me that's why the Tarsacci was quietly sold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Flydog said:

I'm wondering if the word "corrosion" is used to indicate that the water intrusion was an ongoing occurrence or that the owner of the Deus II waited a too long to send their unit in for repairs after first noticing the water intrusion.

• Like 1

My questions have been answered.

25 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

All warranties have exclusions, and cover manufacturer defects in manufacturing, not wear and tear, or abuse.

Agreed. But assuming you and Chase are correct (and I believe you two are), why weren't the warranty exclusions written more precisely? It would have required more than an extra sentence or two to better convey how the exclusions worked.

13 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

Agreed. But assuming you and Chase are correct (and I believe you two are), why weren't the warranty exclusions written more precisely? It would have required more than an extra sentence or two to better convey how the exclusions worked.

To leave wiggle room? Question for the lawyers, not me. It's complicated, because you also have implied warranties for stated use. And it actually varies by state in the U.S. Point being, it is their reputation on the line. That is your insurance, not some warranty. I've seen major companies flat out deny valid warranty just to boost the numbers for the quarter. It's as much about the quality of the company as the product, maybe more so. I've never seen anything to make me think XP is anything but a class act.

• Like 5

If you sit down and read the warranty terms and conditions of just about any product there is a range of clauses that make them able to avoid doing warranty on just about any fault, take this segment from the Coiltek coils warranty terms and conditions.

" This warranty covers any manufacturing errors like cracks in plastics or performance issues like no response which are from manufacturing faults – usually these are noticeable within the first few hours of use. The warranty does not cover normal use or misuse of the product. For a coil/product to continue to perform well it must be treated with care and not be used in a way that will jar or incur any sudden impact. This sudden impact may result in developing a noisy product. CTM, at its sole discretion, will determine the nature of the returned item and decide whether it is a warranty issue. Each individual case will be reviewed on its own merits "

If they wanted to virtually any coil can have its warranty void by that one paragraph.  The warranty doesn't even cover normal use 🙂

Now this isn't saying Coiltek do a bad warranty, they likely do a good warranty as they're a reputable company, but their warranty terms and conditions would indicate they will never replace a faulty coil unless its DOA.

I am sure XP is not going to void genuine leaks at no fault to the user, they just don't seem that type of business.

• Like 1