More Finds With Eq800 In El Paso Mountains

last pic..should have been the 1st..with all the info:

34.4 gram nugget, found Feb15 in El Paso Mountains/Goler Gulch st a depth of 8 to 9 inches(approx..could have been more) with EQ800 using Gold #1 with & with out discrimination,21 read out and out of ground cleaned 17 & 16  DSCN0328.thumb.jpg.1b9ab0573707bb1cd4d31472e93de878.jpg

• Like 9

I completely agree VLF's are a great complement to a PI/GPZ but they really lack depth even on small bits about .1 of a gram of more compared to the GPZ.  In my case is a bulk of the gold is missed using a VLF due to the depth of the gold as we don't seem to have much if any at all of that difficult to detect type of gold? I've only found one nugget in my entire time detecting that's difficult for a PI/GPZ to hit on and I swing VLF's a lot on gold ground and have found hundreds of nuggets with the VLFs.   

Even in my ground which I think is rather mild VLF's are severely hindered by their depth, because of this they miss a whole lot of nuggets too, I would say a VLF will miss 80% of the nuggets here and that's an educated guess as that's about how much  my nugget take has improved since I stopped swinging VLF's all the time and starting swinging the GPZ 🙂

No one detector does it all, at least no detector I've owned, so I happily swing away my GPZ and complement it with my Nox 800 and Garrett 24k.  A GPX 6000 maybe the closest thing to a combined GPZ plus VLF for my ground.

• Like 5

I have owned the 5000 for 6 years, when working ( I am retired now, 2 years) I could only get out 2 weeks a year, so it took me a long time before I really figured it out. I own the 6 and 7 now but I really liked the 5 after figuring it out, found most of my gold with it so how can I really complain about it. I will keep it forever but will now use just the 6 and 7 from now on on all of my gold hunting expeditions. Will use the 5 just in case something happens to the 6 or 7. Will be looking to purchase a 800 some time soon. Thanks all for your post.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

I completely agree VLF's are a great complement to a PI/GPZ but they really lack depth even on small bits about .1 of a gram of more compared to the GPZ.

I agree with you. IMHO, no VLF will come anywhere close to what a high end PI or ZVT can deliver, in particular at depth in mineralized ground. I also have a hard time believing that the GM (or Nox?) will hear gold the 6000 can't, although I acknowledge that others have different experiences. And since I don't own the Nox I will let others speak on that. But from the limited GM/6000 comparisons I have done thus far (for whatever it's worth) I can say the 6000 will hear everything the GM will find, not the other way around. My GM and GB2 quickly loose out at depth, so no comparison to the 6000/7000 whatsoever, IMO. I use the VLF for trashy areas and shallow gold (i.e. tailing piles, bedrock, etc). This is where it shines, if the conditions are right. Although I kind of feel naked without my 6000 and 7000 in my truck, certain areas are only productive with a VLF and iron probability meter (meter used with great caution and only if target is directly under the coil).

GC

• Like 2

Para..no your not missing something..but I have since been told by dealers and instructors that they think the 5000 would have heard it. Don't mind me..I'm just mad at myself for not 'moving on' and selling the 5000 sooner than I did. The EQ and 6000 are a way better choice..in my mind than the 5000. Heck the guy I sold the 5000 to sold it and bought a 6000.

Phrunt..Got PM'd by a guy with a 24K and he is saying he really like it for areas with hot rocks but is not sure how it would do in trashy areas like where I found the nugget. I read in another area of DProsp. the discussion that included an engineer who actually worked on developing the 24K..most informative. Could you speak a little on a comparison of the 24K and the EQ800 used for gold?

Apologize if this should be in another area of DProsp...you can move it Steve. Don't you also use the 24K and did I see a post/pics of many small pieces you found in Alaska with it and your method of scraping a few inches away at a time on a slope to uncover more and more small pieces? was this to give the detector more depth..exposure to gold by removing several inches at a time? Guess I should not be lazy and just look back for it?

1 hour ago, aerospace guy said:

Apologize if this should be in another area of DProsp...you can move it Steve. Don't you also use the 24K and did I see a post/pics of many small pieces you found in Alaska with it and your method of scraping a few inches away at a time on a slope to uncover more and more small pieces? was this to give the detector more depth..exposure to gold by removing several inches at a time? 

Sometimes you just gotta do it the old timers way and just dig.  These are always on the quad or in the PU for when I need them, note rare earth magnet on the rake.  Sorry for adding to the highjack but felt it's important.....

tools.JPG

• Like 5