Can You Notch Out Zinc Cents?

Rrnp

If you are an area with old coins, IH's come in as zinc pennies. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

If you are an area with old coins, IH's come in as zinc pennies. 

Yep, good point. I am not a fan of notching anything.  I can read a display and listen to audio and make my own dig decision.  But just answered the question without imposing my philosophy on detecting, though I briefly considered mentioning it.

• Like 2

18k and larger 14k gold rings also give zinc penny numbers sometimes………

I look at zinc pennies as indicators of someone being careless with their belongings and use them to find areas where someone hangs out a lot, a bit like finding iron at former home sites. 
So, I love finding zinc pennies since other better stuff almost always is in the same area. Notch them out…not for me. 

• Like 6

Thanks everyone, perfect answers.  I knew about Indian Heads and one of my biggest gold rings came in as a zinc. Some of the parks I hunt in just have too many zincs and pull tabs so I give up on number 14 also. I’m trying to learn about the Deus 2 before it arrives whenever that might be.😀

• Like 1

I haven't tried out the Deus 2 yet, but from everything I have seen so far its SMF tech will be good enough to trust the notch function. In the past, setting a Deus 1 notch in any soil that was even slightly mineralized would cause a lot of up averaging of VDIs and make using a low to mid conductor notch very unreliable. The Equinox notch system works very well for the most part and I have my fingers crossed that the Deus 2's will also.

I NEVER notch out anything.  I let the tones and VDI tell me what can be ignored.  You'll quickly find out that the minute you notch out those pesky targets, you'll walk by gold that falls into the same range as aluminum.  Just fact....