What The Deus Has Taught Me About The Anfibio, So Far

I don't have 99 tone on the Multi Kruzer but found the 3 tone has incredible recovery speed and able to sound iron signal in mixed target consistently.

One of the big reasons I bought the Kruzer was the layout of the display and how easy it is to navigate. I don't even have to look at the screen to toggle through the modes. My only dislike is 2 tone should have a lower gain and lower sensitivity so it worked more like 3 tone which is very well balanced for the machine. Deep mode is nearly identical to 2 tone but with more audio boosting making it harder to judge a targets depth by ear.

For those that want to beach hunt use either Gen or 3 tone and just manually ground balance the machine and you will do better.

• Like 1

Kac thanks for sharing the knowledge, you know more about the machine than I do. I have read most if not all of your posts here in the past so you have definitely helped this amateur along the way.

I saddled the KR 28 11"x 7" search coil onto the Anfibio this evening for a quick tour of some uneven/choppy ground in 3 Tone and rode her back in time again finding a neat relic, and another old coin. I like that coil but had not used it in a while. Now it is very efficient at describing trash, pull tabs, and bottle caps along with the desirable targets. 

I hear you on the Deep mode, I have used it with the smaller coils and found my best coin to date in a pounded park that way. 

Nokta in case you are listening, we are interested in an update for the Multi Kruzer and the Anfibio to include a more stable 2 Tone program.

I have stated this before but in trashy ground or high mineral ground, a smaller coil & very modest Gain levels(60-50) will clean up the audio and still get very good depth. You have to hear a target undistorted to understand what is under the coil. This is with the Anfibio. Multi Kruzer will react the same.

I am doing some experimental bench testing (Deus Fast FT X35 9”, Simplex Park 1 SP24, Anfibio 99 Tone KR24) with interesting results. Determinations are by ear only. The bench 12” diameterl, there are 22 individual common conductors (trash and treasure) spaced randomly at varying elevation and angles to the plane. Each detector was then used to confirm that each conductor could be distinguished where I can see the conductors and am using whatever swing speed, coil height and angle need to get a distinct signal. I covered the whole thing with a towel and rotate it hiding the signals and eliminating my memory  of orientation.

I use all 3 detectors as a team to single out and locate all of the covered targets and place a number for each target on the towel for each location of each conductor hidden below.

Test 1 is using a normal swing width and speed approaching from each cardinal direction to determine which conductor(s) dominate the audio and initiates a response to investigate further, a subjective measure indoors. Obviously investigating the target will reveal adjacent targets and potentially more desirable targets but the focus is on the primary signal(s). Audio only.

Test 2 is using each machine across each conductor and grading them in three categories: (1) would dig, (2) likely to dig, and (3) unlikely to dig. Audio only.

Due to weather these tests do not have the control that I need. If the outdoor tests show that the indoor tests are not fatally flawed, then experienced users are right about pitch and full tone programs performing better than multi tones, 99 Tone is not outperformed by the Simplex, and 99 Tone is competitive with the Deus. I will set it up with tighter control of variables at some point and try again. In the meantime, employing 99 Tone and continuing FT usage while learning the Deus are the obvious priorities.

I decided to go with dig/no dig, and omitted (would likely dig) for Test 2. I also notched TID 1-3 on Anfibio and reduced the volume from 5 down to 2 for that iron range.

In theory trash aside the take home for the Simplex would have been a Small Pendent, and the W Penny. The Deus would have pocketed a Nickle, a S Dime, the W Penny, and the Small Gold JewelryThe Anfibio would have netted a Button, a C Dime, the W Penny and the Small Gold Jewelry.

Obviously these tests are for my learning purposes, and should not be considered as anything other than that. Next I will be go back and look at the TIDs to try to improve my decision making  and squeak out more dig-able signals from this composite matrix.

Here is the bench sheet.

On the initial target response from the cardinal directions and stopping with center of coil over center of bench: Simplex (S) Anfibio (A) Regular Deus (RD)

North- Pull Tab A: SARD, Thin Aluminum: SRD

South- Button A: SARD, W Penny ARD

East- C Penny: SARD, False: SRD, Pull Tab B: RD

West- Button A: SARD, Pull Tab B: SA, Screw Rivet: S, False RD

Scrutinizing the bench only 19 of 22 targets were located blind with audio only. Two S Quarters (each located with challenging adjacent targets) were not located.

Test 2 Dig/No Dig across the identified 19 targets.

Simplex would have dug 5 targets:

1. Summed Foil/Pendent

2. Summed Rivet/Screw

3. W Penny

4. Summed Pull Tab/Rivet/Screw

5. Thick Aluminum

Deus would have dug 9 targets

1. Foil

2. Nickle

3. S Dime

4. W Penny

5. Pull Tab

6. False

7. Summed Pull Tab/Screw/Rivet

8. Small Gold Jwlry

9. Thick Aluminum

Anfibio would have dug 7 targets

1. Button

2. Rivet/Screw

3. C Dime

4. W Penny

5. Gold Jwlry

6. Thick Alum

7. False

Not being familiar with Anfibio nomenclature, not sure how your Anfibio disc/notch settings compare to the Disc settings on Deus.  Deus full tones suffer from the fact that you have no iron volume feature if disc is used.  Just silence.  Can you elaborate on the disc settings and how they compare between Anfibio and Deus. If running FT with no disc on Deus not surprised by your junk recoveries on Deus.  Invoking disc/notch on Deus could result in a different outcome in that regard.

I am surprised that the button did not elicit a would dig signal on Deus.

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Not being familiar with Anfibio nomenclature, not sure how your Anfibio disc/notch settings compare to the Disc settings on Deus.  Deus full tones suffer from the fact that you have no iron volume feature if disc is used.  Just silence.  Can you elaborate on the disc settings and how they compare between Anfibio and Deus. If running FT with no disc on Deus not surprised by your junk recoveries on Deus.  Invoking disc/notch on Deus could result in a different outcome in that regard.

I am surprised that the button did not elicit a would dig signal on Deus.

Sure Chase, good question. Here are the full Deus settings: Disc -2.5 Full Tones Sens 89, Tx 2 ,Freq 12, Iron V 1, Reactivity 3, Silencer -1,  Audio Response 3/ Overload 1, no notching.

The Anfibio 0 Disc, Notch 1-3, and Notch Volume 2.

Once I took the cover off and could see the targets the button got spanked soundly. There was interference from a larger than average pull tab 1" away and small low conducting pendent 1" away that was affecting the tone, as well as other trash on the approaches, but I am 100% chalking that particular result up to my experience level with the Deus. This is not a comparison of the machines just a learning endeavor, and a narrower coil on the Deus would have performed better. 

That many unseen items in such a small space is tough to pick through. Uncovered and in plain sight you can wiggle more of the targets out. One Silver Quarter would have gone undetected by all machines even in plain site due to proximity to a nail, an elevated aluminum foil, and an elevated angled rusty bottle cap. A mid sized dense silver earing was wiggled out in some trash once the bench was uncovered, but good luck in that scenario buried in the field. 

Quick conclusions, and there will be more: I am not convinced at this point that 99 Tone is better than 2 Tone Pitch with custom Tone Volume on the Anfibio in mixed trash. I learned tone quality is everything inside a trashy (outside of normal/clean TID) target group, and that I need a lot more time on the Deus before she heads to the mountains with me to get her day in the old iron. It is still plenty cold up there.

If i can get out today it'll be the Anfibio 2 Tone with preferred break and tone volume settings leading the charge with this knowledge gained from the bench. I know where some analogous trash is located and it is calling to me.

• Thanks 1

Other lessons from bench and field:

5 Tone can help sort out the mixed iron and non-ferrous groupings that 99 Tone wants more clarity on; with a single button toggle. A perfect one two punch for examining the mixed metals of trash.

5 Tone is a mode I have mostly neglected up until now, but it is deeper than 3 Tone and seems to have a faster recovery speed than 2 Tone. 5 Tone will get more exploration based not on the multi tone facility, but instead based on the practical ratio of recovery speed to depth in my moderate to challenging soils. If we were to get an update to the 2 Tone, this 5 Tone depth and recovery speed might be appropriate.

Another tried and true lesson from bench field is that overload signal can mask the potential response from adjacent targets. Though overloading only happens a small percentage of time overall, it does inhibit beneficial removal of iron/trash from a location in part because the pin-pointing function of the machine is disabled by the overload circuit. The Deus has taught me that this is the primary drawback for the Anfibio in iron and trash. Yes you can lift the coil, but that is not an ergonomic or competent solution in the field.

• 3 weeks later...

Well this test drive thread with the Regular Deus is coming to an end; perhaps a week of use left. The bench time helped me get more desirable targets out of the ground and it is a good machine with the potential to be very good with a very good user, same as the Anfibio. I could complain some more but i wont as those complaints trend more toward personal preference and to a lesser degree, performance. I ended up being happy with a Deus "light" set up; no RC.

Neither the Legend  nor the D2 are poised to knock the Anfibio out of the toolbox unless they can eventually provide effective smaller coils.

A group finds pic is on the way to close it out.

• Like 1

Update: I have decide to keep the regular Deus.

I want to get one last site type for RD under my belt before I post some pics of the two machines finds. As I said before this experience has taught me that these two products are complimentary to each other.

• Like 1