Which Size Coil Do You Like Standard On A Detector When You Purchase One?

I like an 8" or 9" coil. I don't care for an 11" coil that much but I relic and lake hunt in Michigan. Bigger than a 9" coil gets tiring faster in the water. I really liked the Tesoro 8" coil in the water.

Depends why I want the detector. What I really want is to be able to buy the detector with any coil I want. You do pretty much get that option with XP, and even First Texas to some extent via some models being offered with different stock coil options. Other than that, the more coil options, the better I like  detector.

• Like 3

I think this Is an environment based choice maybe.

I mean, if You Hunt frequently in a place where the ground Is nasty, sometimes a smaller coil can do a better job with higher sensitivity than a bigger one giving You less falsing. Less depth but more stability.

On the other hand if You prefer more ground covered per swing, You might prefer an 11" to 15" paying some more noise.

I hunt in the water and I still don't find an occasion when to prefer something over the 11".

Personally, I'm sure some of my best finds were found with a 6" and an 8".

The 9" on the Deus Is so tempting, without doubts.

Deus 2 with 9" coil is tempting. I have the Orx w/ 9" hf coil. It seems the perfect size for me hunting in the lakes. I would like to see the Legend with a 9" or 11" coil option.

I tell You a story...

A day like dozens of others, I was searching again the same spot overworked to the death, with no signals at all and rocks barely exposed...

I was with a 14x9" Coiltek and found One signal worth to dig...The chunky monster bracelet heavier than any other piece I ever found.

The second day, with scarce hope after the miracle, with the 6", same place, two signals, I found thinner stuff, waiting for me ti dig them...Another slim bracelet and an ear ring🤔

Notice the difference by yourself....

Guess what coil missed the small and what was the best choice to pick up all of It the same day...

IMG_20200723_102040.jpg

IMG_20200727_170010.jpg

• Like 8
  • Oh my! 1

I don't mind detectors coming with the standard 11" general purpose size, I assume we're talking about VLF detectors, that seems reasonable to me, as long as there is a good selection of other coils on offer to purchase separately I'm happy.  I personally mostly use opposite ends of the scale on my VLF's, very small coils for gold and very large coils for coins and jewellery.  The standard coil doesn't get used all that much.

What bugs me is detectors with a small range of coils.  I like the freedom to choose what coil I want and a large part of my decision with buying detectors is based on what coils I can use on it.

• Like 3

Since I have not had many chances this past year to hunt I would say any coil that will work on the type of hunt I am doing.

Sometimes I like to go to the parks and churches, while other times I get out in the fields around old farms.

Then again I also use the 10x5 in the creeks and their sides to locate some gold.

With that stated I have to say what ever works at the time.

I'd like there to be a variety of coil choices at the time I purchase the detector, and let ME decide what comes with it. If I plan to use it for the beach or open fields (like most of my detectors) I want a BIG coil....15" or bigger. There's just too much sand to cover with a smaller one. I also get smaller coils as the need arises for turf hunting or trashy areas. I just don't understand why the optional coils aren't ready at launch. They know good and well that people are going to want them. I'd order a Deus 2 right now if a big coil was available as part of the package, and not some mythical future date.

• Like 1