War Of 1812 In Alta California? Please Be Seated As This Story Unfolds...

Great to get out for a hunt Saturday.  Expanding the picture of history at the site.

Are you sure those buckles are silver ?

And as for the British navy button :  There's been plenty of British Navy 1-piece buttons found in CA.  But I don't recall that exact one (with the crown on both sides).  Very interesting.  And good sleuthing ID work.

Here's my buttons.   11 total, of which 2 were phoenix buttons.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 8

And , with the the tune of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly playing on a Spaghetti western, and Clint Eastwood comes riding in from stage right, here's the obligatory modern junk.   Some of these shotgun butts were from zones where hardly ANY new stuff is found.  Ie.: most everything is "interesting".  So you can imagine the heart-stopper signals, in an area where it's *supposed* to be a button or a coin, haha

The rest of the junk was where we knew full well we'd have to tolerate some clad and tabs.

4.jpg

• Like 8

Sounds like a fun time. I often clear brush or mow hoping to find some goods. Sometimes it works out. You gotta try what you can on a good history site.

• Like 3

Nice finds Tom and Cal! It is interesting to see that old a button show up there. Shows us Easterners got nothing on ya. 😀

Those buckles could be silver or chrome plated brass. I've dug plenty of nickel plated brass here too.

Good times. 👍 

• Like 3

Those are some nice finds the two of you found, a lot of history in the digs.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 1

Nice work fellas and thanks for sharing. Do you guys ever find those button hooks? Just curious I got one the other day and did not realize what it was as I had not found one before. 

strick

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Ended up being a seated half dime, a nice early one too from 1838. To bad it wasn't an Orleans mint mark, it'd be a high dollar little coin then, but it's still a killer find from early Alta California.

Or better yet, no mintmark and no stars around the obverse.  (Ok, none of those are known to have been minted.  But that's why you would want to find one.  If authenticated, instant retirement!)

Nice finds for both of you.  That British button looks to be in decent shape.  Your arid Western climate comes through again.  I'm curious to know what that copper baseplate(?) is, Tom.

• Like 2