My 1920 House And 1800s Neighborhood Park

• The title was changed to My 1920 House And 1800s Neighborhood Park

Excellent start!  Have you used HistoricAerials.com?  That can help a lot with old parks.  Even the USGS topos there (which typically go back much further in time than the photos) might show you some buildings that are no longer present -- e.g. maybe a concession stand, swimming pool change-rooms,...  🤞

• Like 3

Some good finds, especially the  older ones from the park. Love the watch fob.

• Like 1

Love the watch fob!!  If you only have to walk to the sites to get that, imagine what must be in short driving distance?

• Like 1

Great finds and report. Pin and fob are very cool. I'm sure their is a bunch more goodies to be found soon, Wish you luck and looking forward to an update.

• Like 1

Watch fob is probably my favorite so far. Yes, hopefully more good finds to come!  Looking forward to the spring.

11 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Excellent start!  Have you used HistoricAerials.com?  That can help a lot with old parks.  Even the USGS topos there (which typically go back much further in time than the photos) might show you some buildings that are no longer present -- e.g. maybe a concession stand, swimming pool change-rooms,...  🤞

I’ve used them before but on this park I have been using the city GIS.  Good reminder. I’ll have to try it and see if I find something different than GIS aerials. Older ones are pretty blurry. Park has changed over the years but I have done a little research on it and have a few areas of interest. The thing is I am trying to hit not so obvious areas as this park is frequented by detectorists hitting the obvious spots. 

6 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Love the watch fob!!  If you only have to walk to the sites to get that, imagine what must be in short driving distance?

So I din’t just move here to detect but it was one reason. I now don’t have to drive here!  As I get to know neighbors and meet people, I’ll have to work in the request to detect their yards : ) It is an old neighborhood and hundreds of houses so it is a good place to be. 

• Like 2

I actually remembered a story from a neighbor that grew up in the area I thought this crowd might appreciate. We were talking about how he came to live at his house facing park.  He grew up in a different part of the neighborhood and used to walk to the park to swim. When he did that he would walk to pool barefoot as that saved him the dime for the locker for clothing. So, he would walk through grassy areas and streets that had grassy curb strips.  His current house is on that route facing the park and he used to think that was where all the rich people lived. They really were and still are modest houses but he wanted to live there someday and now he does. 

Anyway, I thought that was pretty cool and also made me think about the kids that did bring that dime or other change and other things they may have dropped on grassy areas on way to the pool or other activities at the park.  Like maybe that’s how that watch fob ended up there!

• Like 5