Garrett Land & Sea Pi Detector Use

I gave my Garrett L&S PI to my grandson.

I found it was basically a ‘dig everything’ detector that worked Well on saltwater beaches and most soils at good depth.

Are there any other advice or tips I can pass on?

i stopped using it has it a very heavy detector. Made like a tank but heavy!

That is what led me to purchase the Equinox 800.

Later, Billy 

Well the Infinum as you might know can be belt mounted. Making it very light. Also learning the tones helps eliminate digging a lot of trash.  It also is very stable in salt water. Follow the manual or download one online.

• Like 1

I believe it is very similar to the Seahunter and yes it is pretty much a dig all. The discrimination is ok and can knock out some targets but does seem to effect depth and you of course risk losing good targets the higher the disc.

Beach hunting for what it is worth the machine may give a double beep in one direction and single in another which more often than not is a long piece of iron like a nail or chunk of lobster trap etc. Coins especially high conductors like silver tend to be a bit softer but there is no real nuances other than that.

Hip mount works ok but I have found it will cause the machine to false a little when coil is swung towards the control box so if you hip mount then make sure the box is behind you and not on your side to reduce/eliminate falsing. Skim the sand, any air gaps significantly effect depth. I don't scrape the sand but just off the surface almost touching with nice steady swings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kac said:

I believe it is very similar to the Seahunter and yes it is pretty much a dig all. The discrimination is ok and can knock out some targets but does seem to effect depth and you of course risk losing good targets the higher the disc.

Beach hunting for what it is worth the machine may give a double beep in one direction and single in another which more often than not is a long piece of iron like a nail or chunk of lobster trap etc. Coins especially high conductors like silver tend to be a bit softer but there is no real nuances other than that.

Hip mount works ok but I have found it will cause the machine to false a little when coil is swung towards the control box so if you hip mount then make sure the box is behind you and not on your side to reduce/eliminate falsing. Skim the sand, any air gaps significantly effect depth. I don't scrape the sand but just off the surface almost touching with nice steady swings.

"Hip mount works ok but I have found it will cause the machine to false a little when coil is swung towards the control box "

That's interesting. I'm about to field test my ATX modification using an Infinium DD coil mounted on an old GB rod with the ATX box slung over my left hip. I hadn't thought about what variable coil to box spacing might do. It'll be a while but I'll post how it all works

• Like 1

I believe the falsing is because the shielding is not as robust on the coil wire so any movement causes it to sound off a little. I say that because when it is submerged it doesn't seem to be an issue. EMI in general can be a problem on the Seahunter when on land. I can't use it along one of the big rivers here because of power lines unless I have the box submerged and oddly at dusk at some of the beaches which I think is the wifi alarms being put on.

Your ATX has advanced emi control where the SH has none.