What Was The Name Of The Metal Detecting Tv Show . . .

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'm sure some parts have been detected.  You still have all the typical difficulties of permissions, protections, destructive modernization,...

Sad it is. I think about concrete covering up important finds more or less for ever! But they can surface 100's of years later.

On 1/18/2022 at 6:58 PM, GrievousAngel said:

. . . where two guys wandered around the USA detecting relics and coins? They used Garrett's AT detectors I think back. They would locate/research historical homes and other locations of interest, then ask for permission to hunt. There was a different story every week I think.

They were entertaining, I used to call them "Ringy & Dingy".  I think their finds were genuine (not salted), I didn't care as much for the one that did the stupid crazy dances when he found something (which half the time was junk), he climbed trees and jumped off rocks and other goofy things when he made [in his mind] a good find haha

On 1/18/2022 at 6:58 PM, GrievousAngel said:

I always thought that historic wagon train trails would cough-up great finds. I would assume one could travel the same pathway, either by road or off-round, with proper research and planning.

There are areas of wagon trails I'd like to check out for a variety of reasons.  Historical citations of high traffic wagon trails during major events (gold rush for example), talk about tens of thousands of travelers, with wagons stacked up at bottlenecks (river crossings for example).    Also many times in historical citations when wagons would arrive at hospitable environments (water and grass for live stalk) especially after traversing difficult environments,  they tended to camp to recuperate, make repairs, and revive their animals.  Generally not all together, but for sure they reused camp sites from previous travelers. 

Detecting wagon trails in high traffic areas has proven to pork out finds, but it can also aid in revealing undocumented camp sites or seasonal trading posts, which can be rewarding.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:58 PM, GrievousAngel said:

. . . where two guys wandered around the USA detecting relics and coins? They used Garrett's AT detectors I think back.

George Wyant ("King George") and Tim Saylor ("The Ringmaster") are the guys you are remembering.  Here's the Wikipedia entry for the show that also tells some things about these two.

They definitely had a connection with Garrett and apparently still do.  They represent that company at metal detecting shows around the country.  (They also used AT/Golds on the show.  I think it was cancelled before the AT/Max was released.)

Gerry McMullen knows them both and has had good things to say about them (posted here a while back).  I think they now live near Gerry (if 'near' means, oh, within a few hundred miles anyway).  I vaguely recall an episode where they did some detecting for native gold up that way -- Idaho or Montana.  But as you remember a lot of the episodes were done at historic sites (with permission, of course) such as the Hatfield-McCoy 'battlefields' in Appalachia.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought a better name for Diggers would be Jackasses. I could not watch it for more than a few minutes without getting pissed off. It gave the hobby a black eye. I was glad to see it go.

The best detecting TV show ever made was detectorists. That one will be hard to beat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2022 at 5:03 AM, Badger-NH said:

I always thought a better name for Diggers would be Jackasses. I could not watch it for more than a few minutes without getting pissed off. It gave the hobby a black eye. I was glad to see it go.

The best detecting TV show ever made was detectorists. That one will be hard to beat.

They are now filming another season of the Detectorists.  Get ready these two are at it again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason-NEK said:

They are now filming another season of the Detectorists.  Get ready these two are at it again!

That's great news. I didn't know that.  👍

• Like 1

This is the only sign of a season 4 of Detectists, it's not anything that's confirmed, one of the actors just said he'd love to do a series 4 and it spun around the internet as a series 4 is coming 🙂

It's mentioned after the 6 minute mark.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, phrunt said:

This is the only sign of a season 4 of Detectists, it's not anything that's confirmed, one of the actors just said he'd love to do a series 4 and it spun around the internet as a series 4 is coming 🙂

It's mentioned after the 6 minute mark.

Yup, that's all I could find when I searched.  🙁

• 3 weeks later...

I had a friend that participated in the filming of an episode of Diggers and apparently the site was hunted by multiple detectorists to find some good finds, and then they were planted for the "stars" of the show to find.  Which kinda makes sense.  Think about it - its expensive to have all the supporting crew and the logistics to produce a television show.  And you need to make it exciting; who wants to watch a half hour episode of finding pull tabs.   As detectorists, you know from experience how long it can take to find an actual "good" target.  And these guys did it every time in just half an hour?  It takes many hours to find something good and that time frame can be drastically decreased by multiple people searching an area until a few good finds are made.  It was more interesting to hear the side history of an area or about the find they made, than it was to watch their silly shenanigans and freakin out like they just found the Holy Grail.  But again, gotta make it "Exciting"!

16 hours ago, philber said:

I had a friend that participated in the filming of an episode of Diggers and apparently the site was hunted by multiple detectorists to find some good finds, and then they were planted for the "stars" of the show to find.  Which kinda makes sense.  Think about it - its expensive to have all the supporting crew and the logistics to produce a television show.  And you need to make it exciting; who wants to watch a half hour episode of finding pull tabs.   As detectorists, you know from experience how long it can take to find an actual "good" target.  And these guys did it every time in just half an hour?  It takes many hours to find something good and that time frame can be drastically decreased by multiple people searching an area until a few good finds are made.  It was more interesting to hear the side history of an area or about the find they made, than it was to watch their silly shenanigans and freakin out like they just found the Holy Grail.  But again, gotta make it "Exciting"!

That doesn't surprise me a bit.  It's sad that people enjoy that crap and that people got paid to do it.