Hello From Italy

Ogliuga

54 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Welcome aboard Riccardo !

You picked a good time to sign in with your new Deus2 !        Lots of us here will be waiting to read everything you post about it , no doubt.  You probably have a few good GPX5000 hunts to brag about too !

I have 3 questions for you.

Are old coins on the do not dig list too? 🧐

Any good tourist beaches nearby ?

Do you have a pirate map with an X marking anyplace in particular you'd share with us???? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  😉

First of all thank you for your welcome!

Talking about metal detecting here, law is a really big nightmare. In theory, targets which have more than 50 years are state property. Whatever you find underground is state property. This is the law here. Many times I asked myself how is possible to buy a metal detector here. In theory, when you find something you have 24 hours to deliver the object to the police. I’m not joking, it is crazy but this is. Obviously there are tons of target older than 50 years which have  no historical importance. But there are many archeological areas from which you must stay away, we have to pay attention. But we’re in Italy and you can find everything everywhere. Years ago I found a medieval knife: I went to the Police and delivered it...but I didn’t know anything more. Probably that ancient knife didn’t have historical importance.. Don’t know. There are many contradictions in metal detecting law here. A lot of contradictions. You can find tons of Vittorio Emanuele II coins, which are from second part of 1800. If I find them I prefer to leave them underground! I live 100 km away from the sea...with a CTX I spent a whole winter on the beach and in water as well..

• Like 4

Those laws are sure making a detector paying for itself an impossible dream.🤪

I thought getting dig permissions were hard to get here ! 

A shame leaving finds in the ground , maybe keep one of those maps I spoke of earlier LOL🙃 

You have some nice high end detectors too ! You must have a lot of swing hours under your belt.

I guess the crew Downunder won't mind if another one of us wishes for a trip to the gold territory in their back yard... especially someone with tales of the Deus2 ........

Thank you very much! 

On 1/21/2022 at 5:01 AM, Tnsharpshooter said:

Welcome Riccardo.

I spent a few months in Italy back in 1994.  Interesting place.

Thank you very much! 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Riccardo,

The US has some of those nonsensical rules like the 50 year cutoff!

Funny thing is, I never have, or heard about, anyone returning there pre-1972 coins to their state! I think they should be in shock, or embarrassed, if I handed over a 1971 coin, and called it historical! More like hysterical!!🤣👍👍

• Thanks 1

😂😂😂

I agree with you! But  it’s a dangerous situation. It’s basic to find reasonable policemen!