Target ID More About Target Size, Than Type Of Metal

You're right, as usual, Steve. The frequency thing actually started with flight, and radios. The engineers knew that the laminations in transformers were extremely heavy, and figured out they could get the same performance with much smaller transformers by simply raising the frequency they operated at. The new digital welders take advantage of the same principle, as do the inverter generators.....same results in smaller, lighter packages. Before solid state, the aircraft radios operated at 400hz, rather than the 60 hz of ground-based radios.

Jim

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

You're right, as usual, Steve. The frequency thing actually started with flight, and radios. The engineers knew that the laminations in transformers were extremely heavy, and figured out they could get the same performance with much smaller transformers by simply raising the frequency they operated at. The new digital welders take advantage of the same principle, as do the inverter generators.....same results in smaller, lighter packages. Before solid state, the aircraft radios operated at 400hz, rather than the 60 hz of ground-based radios.

You see it very easily with Bluetooth and water. Nice high frequency distance for above water, but you only get inches at best with Bluetooth underwater. I know radio and detectors are different things, detectors are more alternator theory than radio theory, but you see similar issues as regards wavelength and signal propagation.

• Like 5

This thread highlights my reasons for believing this forum is the single best resource available for those of us who wish to learn more about metal detecting, the machines we use, and the science behind it all.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I have been guilty of believing frequency performance pertained to the type of metal buried; that despite the fact that every owner's manual I've read clearly mentions size (of target) when discussing the benefits of various frequencies. For some reason - likely due to my preference for silver coins - I had always locked onto the part that mentioned large silver coins and skipped right over the large part.

Thanks to Steve's ability to explain things in a clear, concise, manner: I am now better informed and (hopefully) better equipped to find the targets that I seek most often.

• Like 7

On 1/20/2022 at 9:48 AM, Tahts-a-dats-ago said:

Thanks to Steve's ability to explain things in a clear, concise, manner: I am now better informed and (hopefully) better equipped to find the targets that I seek most often.

Thanks. I hope so. I look at what I write, it's long, a little repetitive, just blah, blah, blah. I don't do more than just type them out, post, and then edit out typos, so it's all very much off the cuff. I just kind of barf them out. :smile: But it seems to work, so thanks.

• Like 3

Thank you Steve!! Finally the whole frequency thing is put into it's proper perspective. I've been reading so much misinformation about frequencies and multi-frquencies regarding the upcoming new machine releases, especially in some of the other forums.

It took me a while to figure out that frequency was about metal size, not metal composition. Now I'm looking at targets in a different way and it's really helping accerelate my learning. 

So Thank You again for making so much good information available for those that thirst for knowledge!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well thanks for wrapping my head around a telephone pole Steve. All fake news by these marketing gurus on MF ! I have known about some of these things you say just from experience over the years regarding metals and more importantly , the size. Air tests are just that , they give an idea of the readings. What intrigues me the most is the sand , soil conditions regarding all these factors. Such as extreme magnetic black sand and depth. The MF Nox will overload , shut down , won't even work. A PI , isn't much better but does work. Depth is severely compromised on small coin and ring sized targets. The metal doesn't seem to matter much. Large targets don't seem to be a problem , but that's not what I'm after. All these video's guys put out seem to prove their machine , settings , techniques work great in THEIR turf. But definitely not mine. I might have to start calling you DR.STEVE now. Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to Target ID More About Target Size, Than Type Of Metal