Gold Bug 2 And Makro Gold Racer And Whites Gm Series

Tom D has a nice report on the Macro Gold Racer on his site. 

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,101755

He said it feels like a cross between a Gold Bug 2 and a Gold Bug Pro.  I thought that was a great analogy. Now that I think about it the Gold Racer does feel like a very hot GB Pro.  

Bryan

Hello all, there have been some very good comparisons about the three detectors mentioned. My concern is that too many people that are just getting into gold detecting will take bench or air testing too seriously. I have been detecting for gold for over forty years. As far as I am concerned air testing is just that "air testing". I would urge anyone, especially newcomers, to find someone or to join a gold detecting club and get some hands on. Many shops have a unit available for prospective buyers to take out a few hours and play with.

When I take someone out for training with a gold detector this is how I advise them. After the initial set-up and knowing that they are somewhat confident in the operation of the unit they are using I put that person on a site where there are still targets, gold and trash. I tell that person to detect and locate targets, however, do not dig the targets. I tell the person to play with the detectors settings, tone, ground balance,sensitivity,modes, etc. Go over the target until you get the best response you can with the changes you have made. Listen to the sounds that you are hearing and if you have a screen, watch it. Once this is done, then dig the target and see what it is. I detect the same area, and hopefully I will hear what I am sure is a piece of gold. When this occurs I have the person go over my target with their unit and have them repeat the same process that they have been doing. Again, I put emphasis on what they are hearing and seeing.

While this is time consuming I think it is the best way to begin to learn a unit and to also instill confidence in what you are hearing. I have trained many people over the years and all have become very good hunters.

By now, someone is probably wanting to know what this has to do with air testing. Well, over the years that I have been teaching people to detect for gold and watching them go through my technique of training I have been able to show those same people that air testing is not something to rely on. I have had people completely bewildered that the piece of gold they just dug out of the ground should not have been heard, or so they were told...

Where an air test shows a particular target at a particular depth sometimes, many times, the target that is still in the ground, undisturbed, will be heard at a greater depth. This is why I train people the way I do.

I do not care what anyone says, you cannot replicate the precise mineralization, nor the precise size or shape of any target in an air test. Just not going to happen. And sure as heck an air test is not going to show you what a particular detector will do in the field with undisturbed targets.

I hope that some of the guys that I have trained will chime in and verify my findings.

As far as the comparisons, these are my thoughts. I think White's should have stayed with the GoldMaster V-Sat series. I still remember finding sub-grain crumbs with my old unit on Red Hill. And I dug many pennyweight plus nuggets in Trinity County with the GoldMaster that were down at comparable depths of our new units today.

The Fisher Gold Bug II was my go to unit for years in Nevada. I love my Gold Bug II but when the GB Pro came out a new world opened up for me. I could use my GB Pro in so many places that I could not use the GBII at all. Not just locations, but types of bedrock for example. I could not even turn my GBII on over Serpentine bedrock, my GB Pro picks out sub-grain pieces at ease on the same Serpentine. Other comparisons, too lengthy to discuss here however.

Then along came NOKTA/MAKRO, companies that listened to many of us and actually acted upon customer recommendations. The Makro Gold Racer is in my mind a phenomenal gold detecting unit. It has a bit of a learning curve, however, once learned it is a fantastic gold detecting unit. With the Makro Gold Racer I have detected the same tiny sub-grain pieces of gold that I use to detect with the old GoldMaster,Eureka Gold, GB II and the GB Pro. The exception being, I am finding those same size pieces just a tad deeper and in very tough ground and terrain conditions. 

I am at a toss up with a favorite unit as far as VLF Gold detectors go. I use both the GB Pro and the Makro Gold Racer under varying conditions. I want to mention also that I test units for Fisher Lab's and for Nokta/Makro. I use what works in the areas that I detect in. I will not use anything less. If a new and better VLF Gold Detector were to come out tomorrow, guess what...

• Like 6

Everyone here knows that air tests are not real world figures and It was Makro who posted the Air Test Video and that was only a reference point, Just because someone talks or posts air test results, Is no need for people to put down what is posted, All an Air test proves is that the machine can see the targets,

About a year ago I read many posts about the GB 2 and I read that it had a concentric coil so I asked about the older goldmaster series and so I added the old concentric coil to my GMT and it had a massive effect, the only reason the older Vsat goldmaster could see such tiny bits is because they use a concentric coil, So put the same coil on the GMT and it will Equal the GB 2 and I still have the choice of the Twin D coil where as the GB 2 only has the option of one type of coil, So where the GB 2 might have issues with it's concentric coil in hot ground the GMT has the benefit of a DD or in mild ground I can take advantage of the Longscan (concentric coil), I have had Ground readings in the mid 80's and the GMT can still see my test piece's, and it can see bits the size of a full stop from a ball point pen or less, If you have access to a GMT and one of the older coil you can see for your self,

Why people jump on folks because they talk or post about Air tests is beyond me, I know what they are and so do you, So why not just let people talk about them, People take them far too seriously and the first mention of an air test and people are sharpening their knives waiting to pounce,  I think Makro know the Value of air tests and that they are not factual and they are the only company that are willing to talk to us "The People" so I would not jumping on them too soon because all that will do is close another door and then we are back to square one.

• Like 1

Absolutely, I see them more as a play thing and a way to check ID numbers to refresh my memory while winter is upon us, I urge everyone not to take them as real world results, Their only connection to detecting is can the machine see an Item and does it ID them, Apart from that they have no other uses to man or machine.

john