Freshwater Lake Detecting Queston.

How deep have you dug a gold ring in a mild mostly sandy freshwater lakes?

My Gold Kruzer w/ 5x9.5 hits a 14k 3.77 gram gold ring at 11" buried in a sandy beach. I wish this detector had a 8" or 9" round coil.

Nox w/ 11" coil and Orx w/ 9" hf hit it at 14"+.

When hunting in a lake, is that extra 3" worth it or are you just hunting for fresh drops?

• Like 2

I hunt salt/fresh water..Brackish .. Chesapeake Bay.  I would say 80% of the gold I do dig is deep..in the 14 to 16 inch range. The other 20% can be in between deeper or shallow..rare to find gold near the surface unless a storm has sturded it up but it does happen. And this is the older beaches, early 1900's to the late 60's. Fresh drop beaches, I'll cherry pick surface targets.....there are so many hunters out and gold is the target. There are old areas at the fresh drop beaches but it like your on a mission..either to dig fresh drops or look for the low spots, nasty smelling areas of sand.. and listen for the faints. The type of hunt has a lot to do with the season..summer fresh drops..winter old gold and silver..

When hunting in a lake, is that extra 3" worth it or are you just hunting for fresh drops?

All depends on the history of the spot, the bottoms condition and is it trashy.  All sand, old beach I would say 3 inches is needed. If it is a young lake with little history and shallow sand.. lots of hunters keeping it cleaned out.. anything is fine.. But me I like having that extra depth all the time.. 

I have not hunted many lakes. And this event was in my rookie years. (2009) Hit this lake, had a swim area with platform. Spent two days there with a friend who invited me.   First day I got several coins, targets were not very deep. Talked to one of the workers there and was told someone was hunting the spot every year after labor day. Second day I did score a small gold signet ring over in the kids area. Ring did not fit the time period. Before leaving we got talking to some the the regulars that had been there for years. We were told the place had been dredged about 10 years ago) due to state laws saying the dive area needed to be so deep. We were told the stuff dredged was spread up the trail and silver coins were found for several years.. No one said anything about gold being found.. We never went back... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

All of what OBN said is spot on.

What I can add is that up in the Northeast most of our fresh water beaches or swim areas were replenished with sand in the late 50s and 60s .  I would suggest digging down in different areas to see how deep the sand is and if it is all the same. if the depth of sand goes way beyond the reach of your detector be happy picking fresh drops if you hit a hard bottom at a depth your detector could be capable of hitting then you could work that area very slow with much higher odds of finding silver or old gold. 

If it makes a sound dig it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I would say 80% of the gold I do dig is deep..in the 14 to 16 inch range.

To recover such deep targets from wet sand, are you using a scoop, and if so a big or a small one?  I'm set on a small, round, SS scoop, but I can only imagine how useful it may be on the wet beach...

• Like 1

My lakes are sandy down deep. On a local lake it's been that way since I was a little kid. So I guess any gold rings are going to sink pretty fast. Still I'll use my detectors that go deepest. I have a couple ss 8" scoops. One all ss including the handle and one ss with wood handle. The all ss scoop is heavy.

It was a supid question lol. Who's not going to use there deepest seeking detector in the water.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mcjtom said:

To recover such deep targets from wet sand, are you using a scoop, and if so a big or a small one?  I'm set on a small, round, SS scoop, but I can only imagine how useful it may be on the wet beach...

Biggest scoop I could get. Stealth 720i, 14 inches deep and 7 inches tall...That 14 inches long really hammers deep. I have hundreds of video's of digging gold but most I cut out all of the digging and get to the final scoops. Here is one I did not..got all of the scooping to show the depth..I would say this first gold ring was in the 16+ inch range.

Second Video I measured the depth of the gold ring ..1.6 grams at about 15 inches. 

SNAG-0003.jpg

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 1

That's an impressive scoop and videos. My one scoop is 8" x 11". The all stainless steel one is 6" x 10 1/2". I might need a new scoop :).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rvpopeye said:

Calm water on the bay that day ! 👍

A lucky calm.....🍀

Thank you...The good of being retired, I can choice the very best days with the best odds on finding gold. Calm water I can hear the faint signals so much better. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

That's an impressive scoop and videos. My one scoop is 8" x 11". The all stainless steel one is 6" x 10 1/2". I might need a new scoop :).

6" x 10 1/2", that sounds like a good size. All SS that baby has some weight.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Freshwater Lake Detecting Queston.