Nokta Makro Pulse Induction Gold Prospecting Detector

37 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I think EMI mitigation comes at a cost, the multi channel PI's all suffer from EMI where as single channel PI's like the QED can be relatively immune to it but suffer somewhat in overall performance over the multi channel units, you'd think it'd be possible to have a multi channel PI that can run in a single channel mode and also have a noise cancel in single channel for high EMI environments?  I'd love to hear someone with more knowledge if this would be possible but if so it'd be a big step forward. 

A lot of high EMI environments haven't been slammed as much with PI's due to the high EMI, many targets would likely be uncovered if this was incorporated into a detector.

I have a particular beach that has high EMI. It cuts about 30+% of my depth, either because I have to really turn down the sensitivity or use cancel mode (or anti - interference coils). That 30+% is huge when your targets are just a couple inches too deep. I wish I could a adjust or cancel the most interfered channel. I bet it would quiet down a lot. This is why I'm always asking for user control, even if you have to put it on an advanced drop down section, so beginners or people who just want a turn on and go detector don't have to use it.

• Like 2

If the base circuit has already been designed, then extra add-on abilities might be difficult to incorporate. Another big problem is how to dodge, avoid or check the relevance of current Minelab Patents. Obviously, the PI ground tracking patent is no longer an issue, otherwise the ATX would never have been built. But, talking 'multi channel' is accepting that the MPS patent is no longer valid.....hopefully this is true. Hopefully, the DVT patent is also mute. Incorporating both of these into a new prospecting PI would surely add a massive amount of detection ability. But, if it HAS to be a single channel unit, then it SIMPLY MUST have a bias adjustment (like QED) to allow the user to adjust for max sensitivity OR max depth, depending on the size of the coils used. By utilizing this idea in a single channel design, the designer is freed from choosing either an SDC type detector or a low frequency SD2000 type detector.....you can have BOTH. Obviously, the voltage and transmit & sampling speed must also be parallel-adjustable to suit and I guess this will have to be synchronized via software code. 

Aside from these crucial requirements, the idea of using the current range of GPX compatible coils is a 'no brainer' and Simon, I applaud your suggestion. Quoting a certain ML past executive, 'Coils sell detectors' and NM would do extremely well to utilize the huge range of Coiltek, NF and other coils currently on the market. Flat wound coils have the edge over bundle wound ones and any new PI detector would simply HAVE TO incorporate this tech (like the GPX6000 has) from the factory.

Light weight of under 2.5kg, with incorporated internal battery (who cares if you have to change over a flat battery halfway through the days detecting), strongly weatherproof (NM have this concept well covered already) with APTX LL headphones/speaker options, ground tracking speed adjustable to master variable ground, of course both EMI cancelling ability to work near powerlines or salty soils and iron ID would be nice but these variables would have to be designed into the circuit from day one....that day is probably passed though. Unless they already thought of it lol On top of all that, if they managed to keep the price at under half what ML would expect then I'd line up for one.... Simon, If the NM guys want an Aussie to test one on some really sh*tty ground, PM me 😁

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Pi detectors are my thing. Worked on the TDI Project and live in Central Virginia. I have tested for Nokta/ Makro before. I would love to field test this one. I have also used the Eric Foster Golldscan 5c, Minelab SD2200 v2, Minelab GP's 3000,3500, Thracian Mineral Power,  and now use the QED. At the beach the Headhunter P. I. and all Whites PI's to include the TDI. Garrett Infinium for relic hunting. I live in the Culpeper Region of Central Virginia.The QED is a great example of how to make an extremely light weight detector which consumes less battery power to function. 

• Like 3

I emailed the guys at NM several weeks ago and Dilek told me that the engineers are currently still busy designing and expanding the new units capabilities so I'd imagine that any incorporation of new ideas as mentioned above is NOT beyond possibility. So thats great! They also have copies of the comments and suggestions here to work on....so keep on commenting everyone! Plus, they certainly WILL hand off field test units to trial the new machine in as many soil environments as possible. So, good news all round :-) 

• Like 3

I'm surprised how few have commented on what they'd like in a PI from Nokta, there has to be high demand for it out there especially in countries like Australia with significant gold deposits and not everyone wants to spend many thousands on a detector that they only intend to use a few weekends a year or for one trip to the gold fields at Christmas time on their holiday or something.   This is their opportunity to get an affordable light weight good performance PI.

The relic hunters in places like the US could find it's suitable for them too, so their input I'm sure Nokta would appreciate.  Even PI beach hunters might find a use for it, who knows.  There are endless opportunities when the unit is still in development.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I'm surprised how few have commented on what they'd like in a PI from Nokta, there has to be high demand for it out there especially in countries like Australia with significant gold deposits and not everyone wants to spend many thousands on a detector that they only intend to use a few weekends a year or for one trip to the gold fields at Christmas time on their holiday or something.   This is their opportunity to get an affordable light weight good performance PI.

The relic hunters in places like the US could find it's suitable for them too, so their input I'm sure Nokta would appreciate.  Even PI beach hunters might find a use for it, who knows.  There are endless opportunities when the unit is still in development.

Im sure there's a degree of 'Minelab Syndrome' creeping in there... ONLY Minelab can make a 'true' gold prospecting PI, so why bother suggesting anything? I can see that NM are a true forward-thinking and progressive company with innovation at the forefront of their future direction, same as Minelab. 'Without innovation, there is only stagnation'. Failure to recognize that, leads to the end result of Tesoro, Whites etc. So, seeing how NM want to battle ML on their own 'turf' so to speak, it bodes well for the industry and us customers. More suggestions, the merrier....it can only benefit us.

• Like 1

I'd use any brand that offered something better than what I have right now. Or something equal in quality but significantly cheaper. I'm 100% all for someone to give ML some competition. At this late stage in the game it's hard not to compare our feature requests to existing Minelab machines that almost all of us own or owned though.

This is pretty much what I'd want at the $1500-$2000 price level. And if it had all of these, I might even sell my 6000.

• Just as light and ergonomic as the 6000
  • Noticeably better on small stuff than the 5000, while maintaining 5000 depth (preferably exceeding it)
  • Backwards compatible with GPX coils
  • Battery fast charging (like modern cell phones)
  • USB C connections, not outdated or proprietary strange connections
  • Quality rubberization on all wear points, carbon fiber shaft (any $1k+ detectors should have these features now IMO)
  • A speaker, or something like the WM12
  • A good warranty or ability to get service that won't leave me sitting in the field for weeks with no working detector
  • Fast modern processors and faster recovery time. The 6k/7k are slow in dense targets/trash, making it really hard to use them where you need to mentally discriminate targets
  • A good, simple, quick control interface.
  • Quick EMI cancel

I'd exchange my 6000 out for a new N/M PI machine if it was less than half the price and about equal in features, even if not exactly up to par on the tiny bits that I don't care much for anyways. I don't need 0.04 grammers. but I do want to find 0.1 grammers at an inch or two still.

• Like 7

On 1/23/2022 at 5:33 PM, phrunt said:

So, what would you want in the new Nokta Makro PI Gold machine?

I guess target ID would be too much to hope for? 😁 but if Nokta Makro made the PI detector as waterproof as their PulseDive, I'd definitely be interested.. and they should also hang onto the vibrating handle idea from the Legend..  

I have never used a PI but certainly would consider a capable relic hunter that could navigate in iron at an affordable price point. I don't need TID, just audio tell.

How do they check iron on a pi? Is it just a magnetometer? Running the SH which is a simple PI, I can only disk out the tiny stuff with the pulse delay but for nails and lobster trap pieces I would wipe out majority of the targets. If I am lucky the iron is long enough and flat I can get a double beep in one direction.

• Like 1