Nokta Makro Pulse Induction Gold Prospecting Detector

Lunk and maybe Jasong in the States and Norvic and Aureous in Australia and a couple more if you want a broad field.

• Like 1

Beach model considerations (Better yet, all around PI detector)

1. GPS no

2. Color no

3. Yes, ok with external cable. However, an internal cable would make it easier to swing the coil in surf. Cable would have to be accessible for preventive care (silicone wipe down).

4. Same sizes mentioned. Triangle shape would be fun to use in tight areas. Ever experiment with one?

5. Waterproof…. One thing that’s a MUST for me. 10 foot rating is fine for surf hunting, BUT, let’s talk in different terms. Anything can be RATED at 10 feet, however, I want to be confident my detector will not leak. I pull stainless WATERPROOF watches out of the surf that are flooded. Rated waterproof, but not built to ensure it.

Someone else previously mentioned to concentrate on performance. I second that. Go deep.

Great answers for Dilek.  Being a landlubber myself, and having put up with detectors designed for dual use, I do hope that future detectors for detectorists like me aren't saddled with features, weight, and expense that are designed for water detectorists.  I know White's (as one example) had water version and land version of the same detector (MXSport/MX7 -- yes, these are IB/VLF). 

The Garrett ATX (PI) is a prime example of what I refer to -- trying to do both and ending up with a boat anchor (pun intended).

The Minelab Equinox (also IB/VLF) seems to be an example that erred in the other direction -- trying to be both but shortchanging the water hunters with its occasional(?) leaky control unit and marginal depth rating.

This thread is getting both long and long-in-the-tooth.  I may have missed someone linking the following, but even though it's 5 years old, IMO it's still relevant, and I hope something Nokta/Makro is keeping in mind:

• Like 2

Beach and gold prospecting are two different things, and two models might do each best. A super light don't worry about waterproof focus on ground balance gold nugget model. And a stouter waterproof beach machine. It's theoretically possible to do both in one detector and get it right - but so far it's never actually been done. Everything that adds waterproof robustness tends to fight what desert prospectors want, which is light and compact - and lower price is nice. Waterproofing and the subsequent warranty cost adds to the price that prospectors do not want to pay for. So in my perfect world I'd want one machine to do it all, but in a practical world, having two models that each do what they do best might be the better approach.

• Like 9

1) IS GPS NECESSARY/BENEFICIAL ON A PI UNIT?

No. With all due respect to your engineers, there is no way you can make a better GPS than my garmin unit or mobile phone, without years and years of development and a very significant cost to customers. Please spend your time and money on making a great detector. Leave the gps to gps companies.

2) IS COLOR SCREEN MORE PREFERRED? ADVANTAGES / DISADVANTAGES 

Not necessary, I’d be 100% happy with black and white with a sensible UI.

3) ARE YOU OK WITH AN EXTERNAL CABLE AROUND THE SHAFT?

As many others have said, we are all hoping to be able to use our GPX coils, which means external cables. Having external cables also seems to be simpler and less prone to issues.

4) COILS - SIZES AND SHAPES (3 PLEASE)

please let us use GPX coils and then this is a non-issue. But, a small elliptical (10x5”), medium round (12”) and larger round (18”) would cover most situations.

5) IS 10 FT WATERPROOF GOOD ENOUGH? 

Absolutely. 

thanks NM, looking forward to your PI detector!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Colour screens are nice, I really like them but they're relatively pointless on a PI, you're not checking the screen constantly for Target ID's or anything, you do your settings and that's about it, the screen isn't even an important part of the detector, look at the GPX 4500/5000, a tiny little screen you rarely look at on a day of detecting hidden away under your elbow.  Unless Nokta can bring something to the table that makes a screen something we need to look at then it's not worth putting a nice colour screen on it.  I think most GPZ users would probably prefer if their screen wasn't colour, but was easier to see in sunlight.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/22/2022 at 11:33 PM, phrunt said:

nokta-makro-technologies-logo.jpg.c0a5ed792cb90336727834a1dd9186df.jpg

So, the great news is Nokta are working on a Pulse Induction Gold prospecting detector, it was delayed a bit due to other projects, I can only assume the Legend but it's back in development now and to be honest I'm quite excited about it.

The market has long needed a good quality low cost relatively high performance PI option.

While I don't expect them to match the performance of the GPX 6000 or GPZ 7000 that's not overly necessary, they're likely going to put their detector in a very competitive price bracket to enable a larger number of people to take up prospecting with a PI detector.  I would not be surprised if the performance exceeds my expectations though, Nokta never ceases to amaze people with the products they come out with for the price they sell them. 

I figured it's time to start a thread on it so Nokta can get a bit of feedback from various detector prospectors as to what they'd want in a new PI detector.

I'll kick it off with something that I would like, for me I would love the detector to support existing GPX coils, not GPX 6000 coils obviously, the earlier GPX coils.  People have a bunch of these things, manufacturers have started long running businesses solely around making coils for the GPX series of Detectors, there are literally hundreds of coils available for the GPX detectors, this would give the Nokta machine a big head start and a also attract a lot of buyers to it knowing they can use their existing coils.    There are a range of coils available for the GPX to suit just about any environment with DD, Mono, Concentric, Anti Interferance and so on, a coil for every occasion in every size you can imagine.  It would just really make sense for Nokta to take advantage of that if at all possible.  Other detectors are running GPX coils fine so technically and legally it's not a problem, it is more so if there detector is designed to suit them.

They could even do what Fisher were intending to do and do a Land (gold) and Sea (beach) version of the detector to get more out of their R&D.

I could go on for ages on the features I would want it to have and I'll do that in time if others don't chime in with the same requests.  So, what would you want in the new Nokta Makro PI Gold machine?

That was one of the things I loved about the White's TDI and SL.  The fact that you could use ML coils on them.  NM should do the same.  I thought it was a stroke of Genius!

Walt

• Like 2

I’ve been selling Metal Detectors for about 17 years now.  I’ve always felt there was a need for an inexpensive PI machine, whether for Beach, Surf, Underwater, Prospecting, or Relic Hunting. 

Minelab had its SD2100 with manual GB.  If you couldn’t justify the cost of their latest GP model, there was the SD2200 with Auto GB plus some extra features.  I loved the Garrett Infinium L/S and was disappointed when they REPLACED it with the ATX rather than leave it as an entry-level Beach and Prospecting unit.  The fact that you could hip-mount it and take all that weight off the rod was very attractive when considering the 6-pound ATX.  It Pin-pointed right off the tip of the coils better than any other detector I’ve used.

Imagine my excitement when White’s introduced the TDI & then Pro with its chest and hip-mount capabilities.  They took it one step further with the SL model at 3.5 pounds, affordable, AND the ability to utilize Minelab and after-market coils in addition to those produced by White’s

Nokta Makro will be filling a needed niche and if they stay true to form, will have many features at a great price that won’t break the bank.

Walt

5 hours ago, Bohemia Miner said:

I’ve been selling Metal Detectors for about 17 years now.  I’ve always felt there was a need for an inexpensive PI machine, whether for Beach, Surf, Underwater, Prospecting, or Relic Hunting. 

Minelab had its SD2100 with manual GB.  If you couldn’t justify the cost of their latest GP model, there was the SD2200 with Auto GB plus some extra features.  I loved the Garrett Infinium L/S and was disappointed when they REPLACED it with the ATX rather than leave it as an entry-level Beach and Prospecting unit.  The fact that you could hip-mount it and take all that weight off the rod was very attractive when considering the 6-pound ATX.  It Pin-pointed right off the tip of the coils better than any other detector I’ve used.

Imagine my excitement when White’s introduced the TDI & then Pro with its chest and hip-mount capabilities.  They took it one step further with the SL model at 3.5 pounds, affordable, AND the ability to utilize Minelab and after-market coils in addition to those produced by White’s

Nokta Makro will be filling a needed niche and if they stay true to form, will have many features at a great price that won’t break the bank.

Walt

You get what you pay for.  A lot of compromises with the TDI, but great ergonomics (compared to GPX and ATX) and you can get the goods if know how to exploit its strengths.  However, for relic hunting, it has definite drawbacks compared to the GPX 4500/4800/5000.  I think if Nokta shoots for a budget but capable version of the forthcoming Garrett Axiom (similar to what they delivered in the Legend vs. the Equinox), they might find a good niche with relic hunters, beach hunters, and nugget chasers.  But the question is when will it see the light of day and how many prospective buyers will not wait and jump on the Axiom bandwagon in the mean time.

• Like 1

Of all the well known detector brands, NM is the only one capable of delivering a prospecting or multi-purpose PI with a US$2,000 price benchmark. Low production and development costs within Turkey give them a huge advantage. It doesn't have to beat ML or Garrett at anything, just be useful and practical and good value. If they take heed of the advice and requests from the end users on this forum, they'll sell 1,000's of them.

• Like 7